Search:

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Big Muddy or Red Valley?

Very cool. Vermont is a beautiful state.
  2. Replies
    Views

I am not sure I can answer this question fully but I’ll give my opinion. Personally what I think you should pay attention to are not temperature but humidity changes:

- I have a Big Muddy. It is a...
  3. Replies
    Views

I live in New Hampshire and am a novice.

I've never played or even seen a Red Valley (in person), but I have a Mid Missouri (Big Muddy) mandola that I bought used and which I like very much.

My...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Disposing of lacquer rags.

When I owned a finishing shop I considered fire resistant waste cans a necessity. John has it right, the lacquer rags aren’t the problem when it comes to spontaneous combustion, it’s the oil rags....
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Disposing of lacquer rags.

Oil finishes and varnishes that cure by polymerization are the ones that can catch fire spontaneously because the curing process is exothermic (gives off heat) and oily rags can heat up and catch...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Affordable American Made Mandolins

That's what I paid for my Silver Angel Econo last year, haven't noticed what Ken's been asking for them recently.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Affordable American Made Mandolins

Howard Morris...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/199137#199137

NFI
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Protecting mandolins from changes in climate

Conventional wisdom is that hard cases offer a more stable environment (and better retention with in case humidifiers as well as more gradual humidity and temp transitions when changing...
  9. Re: Protecting mandolins from changes in climate

I was in a similar situation. I moved to the Rochester, NY area from Arkansas in 2016. The humidity is as bad in the summer in Rochester as it was in Little Rock, but low humidity is a big problem in...
  10. Replies
    Views

I live not far from Vermont, and second Rob Roy's advice above (post #3). Travelling in Fall shouldn't be too grim if you're not opening and closing cases a lot. I've fiddled with snow on the ground,...
  11. Replies
    Views

Get a hygrometer and keep close tabs on the relative humidity. When it drops below 40% use case humidifiers and keep your mandolins in their cases when not in use. Depending on the heat source, you...
  12. Re: Protecting mandolins from changes in climate

First, it helps if you have a place to live that's got good insulation, and not drafty, because then the indoor climate changes won't be "drastic." Then, keep your instruments in their cases, and...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Well set up beater mandolin??

I also ended up buying some sandpaper and stuff, because I had to sand down the bottom of the bridge (this was on my Kentucky KM200S). Which was not too bad to do, just time consuming for me. (And...
  14. Replies
    Views

The only think I bought was a cheap set of feeler gauges which became my files for nut and bridge. Cost about £5. Oh, and a new blank nut after I messed up by going too low. ;)
  15. Replies
    Views

Our puppy (6 years ago, now a good dog) chewed everything in sight -- chair legs, books, screwdriver handles, shoes, remotes, well, the list is too long -- she would also bite anything approaching...
  16. Replies
    Views

For less than $20, you can get a dog gate and confine the dog to whatever room is next to where you want to play. Get the dog used to listening.
    Oh, and keep them cases out of reach too. My dog is...
  17. Replies
    Views

You can get all the the stuff you need for short $ at Harbor Freight. Rob tells us this in his book. I bought everything he suggested, and I think it set me back maybe $20.
  18. Replies
    Views

What's your budget? If it's <$100 I think you may be outta luck. Cheapest one I could find with a reliable shop set-up was a Rover RM-50B at Elderly Instruments, and that was $255.

Lots of...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Cafe User: Br1ck

Seriously, particularly this year, if someone goes missing from our community it's natural to hope they're ok.

I take this thread, and most threads here in the Cafe, at face value.

We miss...
  20. Replies
    Views

I'm with Em. I wouldn't appreciate a discussion of my personality or behaviour on the Forum. If anyone's unhappy with things I say, I'd hope they'd either address me personally, perhaps through a PM...
  21. Replies
    Views

At least he didn’t take up the banjo.
  22. Replies
    Views

Sounds like he went over to the dark side.
  23. Replies
    Views

He’s over on the Acoustic Guitar Forum
  24. Replies
    Views

Prayer for Dennis @ The Mandolin Store

For those of you so inclined, I would ask that you keep Dennis Vance in your prayers. He is facing some medical issues that must be addressed in the near future. I do not wish to, nor do I intend to...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Big muddy m-11 vs morris oval hole

Here are some pics of my Morris, built in 2010:

Under construction

Brand new
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4