Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Song Writers???

it can be either, or both. very rarely does it start with a chord progression. or a riff for that matter.

songwriting is indeed a skill you can learn and get better at. It's like anything else, it...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Ashokan Farewell Tabs anyone?

copyright only applies to performance for profit. Either for the benefit of the venue's or the performer's wallet. A front porch for fun doesn't ping the meter.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: radius fretboard why?

I'm going to put on my flame suit for a few minutes and say some stuff that a few folks are going to take issue with. That's ok. It'd be nice if they would actually think for a minute about stuff,...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Do We Really Need Another Pick Thread?

Stop making sense. Next you'll be saying that the passive-agressive "I'm sure that others will be along to reply soon, but while you wait I did a search for you so you can read up" type responce...
  5. Thread: Iwamoto?

by Bad Monkey
    Replies
    Views

Re: Iwamoto?

I don't sell instruments. Well, I've sold one strat in the past 25 years but that's it. It'd be like selling children.

One is never enough. The only proper number of instruments has very specific...
  6. Thread: Iwamoto?

by Bad Monkey
    Replies
    Views

Iwamoto?

My bass player and went for our weekend Kau Kau lunch and then headed over to Dusty Strings to see what was new since we'd hit Emerald City before lunch...

Saw a mandolin by a Japanese Luthier...
  7. Thread: Condon

by Bad Monkey
    Replies
    Views

Re: Condon

legend has it that the band would hide Eddie's amp, or cut the cord off, or whatever they thought they could get away with to keep him from soloing. Not that he couldn't, he could play like an angel....
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you approach a complex piece of music

way back when I was an undergrad working for my MUCH, I had to memorize stacks of repertoire. It was somewhat daunting to get an hour's worth or better of solo music down for the twice a semester...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Considering a Blue Chip Pick?

add one more to the BC don't make much difference club.
    I've found that thickness and shape mean more than material just as long as it's not made of metal or something with a relatively low...
  10. Re: Octave Mandolin or Tenor Guitar tuned GDAE?

depends on wether you want to play octave mandolin or tenor guitar.

That's not a wiseguy answer, they are two very different instruments. And it's all subjective.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

sampler 2 is in the mail.
  12. Re: Guitar-maker Gibson Brands files for bankruptcy

The instrument side of the business is staying, the "lifestyle" side is being shuffled off.
  13. Re: ISO Tabs for The Dead South by The Dead South

sorry, forgot the OP asked for tab. easy enough to add the tab. A couple clicks of the mouse and just like magic a tab score is right there....
  14. Re: ISO Tabs for The Dead South by The Dead South

PDF of the mando tab attached above.
    let me know if doesn't open for you, I can email it if it doesn't work
  15. Re: Michael Heiden videos / Reischman comparing his Loar to Heide

camera mike>youtube video compression>computer speakers=/= "I can totally judge the tonal qualities of these two instruments".

I don't know about you, but I'm not going to judge either one of...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Cheering during live performance

when classical was all the rage they did... Even in the middle of a piece. It wasn't until the late 19th/ early 20th centuries that audiences started to be "hushed" and it really wasn't until after...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Cheering during live performance

No. Make some noise, sing along, clap, dance, stomp, drink whisky, have a good time while we play. Enjoy the show.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Red Valley Mandolins

I grabbed a few pics to show what I'm talking about:

you can see here how the string drops through the tailpiece from top to bottom; the string doesn't exit the tailpiece body through the front...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Red Valley Mandolins

I've got a fat bodied mandolin and a zouk built by Jim. Both are well built, simple instruments. Both sound pretty good with a nice balanced tone across the courses and up to the dusty end. I won't...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Teachers in Seattle?

I live in Cap Hill as well, closest decent lessons are going to be at Dusty Strings. Which as you know is about an hour away by public transport. You can pretty much walk there in that time if you're...
  21. Re: Lesson me in Laminate! Does wood type matter?

solid vrs. lam matters most with the soundboard. That's not to say that the back doesn't matter, just that the soundboard matters a whole lot more. What the laminate is made up of matters much less...
  22. Thread: Wedding Gig

by Bad Monkey
    Replies
    Views

Re: Wedding Gig

An old band I played guitar in back east used to play a club that was located in an old New York Central freight house. The main line was less than 10 feet off the back of the stage. Whenever the...
  23. Re: AWESOME "People Get Ready" cover (Sierra Hull)

squeaksticks would be the clarinets. Evil things.
  24. Re: AWESOME "People Get Ready" cover (Sierra Hull)

them sliphorns were over my right shoulder, behind the squeaksticks and the baboons...
  25. Re: AWESOME "People Get Ready" cover (Sierra Hull)

guess I'm the odd one out. Not a bad take on the tune,, but it didn't catch me. I don't feel any need to listen again. To each his own so they say.

Bass extensions aren't new, The guys sitting...
Page 1 of 2 1 2