Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Suggestions for mandolins in the $600-$900 range

I pulled the trigger on the Morris cedar top a-style mando that had been listed here. it's on its way!

I was really torn, as there was another Flatiron for sale in my general vicinity that looked...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Pono MND-20 Tenor size Octave Mandolin!

Al, it is a very nice OM and I'm sure you will enjoy! I will also enjoy your tenor guitar!!
  3. Looking for a Tenor recommendation? Try a Blue Ridge BR-40TCE/40T

I finally got my hands on a brand spankin new Blue Ridge BR-40TCE which is an acoustic/electric version w/ a cutaway of the BR-40T.

Up till this point in time I had never played a Blue Ridge...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Nut Width for OM

Correct. 20.6 inches is a short scale length for an OM and you will need quite a thick G string, and the G string will sound "thumpy" when fretted. I used a 34mm wide nut and 21 inch scale length...
  5. Nava Archtop #3; with a nice smattering of Brazilian rosewood

So, I’ve got my next archtop underway. This one is having Brazilian rosewood for the sides (and other parts) and a maple back. I’ve put together a couple of video; the first dealing with bending the...
  6. Replies
    Views

NMD - Northfield F5S

Played one of these when I was in Austin and fell in love. Put it through the paces today at Taborgrass and at a Don Julin clinic at Artichoke Music here in PDX and I'm even deeper in love.

7. Re: Northfield Octave really benefits from the right string gauge

Northfield OM String Gauges: .052 .034 .022 .014 (inches)

The D’Addario are
    Medium Gauge: Plain Steel .012/.012, Phosphor Bronze Wound .022/.022, .032/.032, .046/.046
  8. Northfield Octave really benefits from the right string gauges...

I hadn’t been playing my Northfield Octave as much as I had hoped lately. I was busy. There was some traveling it couldn’t go with me but my mando did... Maybe it was jealous. It seemed to be less...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Armrests? magnets?

You could do magnets.
    I attach a bracket to the mandolin side with screws normal ("perpendicular") to the surface of the sides. Then I use really tiny #2-56 screws to screw up through the bracket...
  10. Replies
    Views

That is a beauty indeed. I'd like to see a side by side comparison of the different models. Is there a photo or video somewhere?
    Without that info, how about the nut width / string spacing on each?
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: 'Radius" Bridge

I really appreciate the comments. I’ve learned a lot. The Apitius radius makes a lot of sense. And I own a Mowry OM with radiused fingerboard so I ran over to check the bridge—sure enough it too is...
  12. Replies
    Views

Congrats, Al!... looks lovely!!!
  13. Thread: Primetone

by Bob Visentin
    Replies
    Views

Re: Primetone

Me too!
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: EMD stress...who has it?

May be, this helps ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khf8RqcqaRI
  15. Replies
    Views

The version on this CD is better to learn with. Slower than orig but not jazzy as from DQG20
  16. Replies
    Views

Thanks colorado_al i have not heard that version before.
  17. Replies
    Views

I've been offering radiused fretboards as standard for over 40 years and the vast majority of my customers much prefer them. Not everyone of course and for those I offer a flat board at no charge....
  18. Thread: 'Radius" Bridge

by amowry
    Replies
    Views

I would always radius a bridge if the fretboard is radiused.
  19. Replies
    Views

Performed this song for the first time with my band on Wednesday night.

Not my best takes on the prepared riffs, but when I took the second time around for a walk outside the lines it worked...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Sierra Hull on her new Clark Octave Mandolin

I don’t/won’t do Facetube either ............. but I do have a Clark GBOM !!!!!!!
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Nut slot fix.

Just as a follow-up to my nut slot problem, the super glue/bone dust fix worked a treat! I was able to raise the height of the one E string that was too low by using the technique suggested here. ...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Why the price jump/scarcity on Blueridge tenors?

Just an update. I installed the JJB PPS-220 into my Blueridge tenor and it sounds great.
    Good enough without a pre amp but I'm using an inexpensive Behringer ADI21 ($29) and it really warms the tone...
  23. Replies
    Views

Hey! I'm "Album of the year"!!!

The Spanish independent music association awarded us with the best "world music/folk/fusion" album of the year!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh7kDsEekPU&t=9917s
  24. Re: Sierra Hull on her new Clark Octave Mandolin

I don't see anything either, but I'm at work and our computers are blocked for most things, not on fakebook either, so its a double hit for me-lol

maybe this will tide us over-appears to have been...
  25. Re: Do you bring your expensive mando to the bluegrass festival?

Generally (not always) the highest caliber of players I find myself surrounded by are at festivals. I take my best mandolin and I never let go of it. That way when the 12 year old kid with a Flatiron...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4