Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Source for Brass/Gold Mandolin Bridge Thumbscrews

StewMac has 'em.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Rosewood bridge vs Ebony?

My Cumberland Acoustics rosewood bridge is in the mail! I can't wait to get it and am looking forward to getting on with the current project that it will be going on. I have a new back set coming to...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Rosewood bridge vs Ebony?

I can already see what's gonna happen here... I'll spend the next couple of weeks making bridges out of any scrap of hardwood I can get my grubby meathooks on....
  4. Replies
    Views

Rosewood bridge vs Ebony?

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum here but I could only find one short thread in the archives... Does anyone have any input on using one or the other for a mandolin that is not going to be...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Broken backplate

There are a ton of pages from established builders who have been at it long before the advent of social media and the 'net... I thought it would be helpful to start a page pretty much from the ground...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: loving curly maple binding

James Condino uses it to magnificent effect. I plan on trying my hand at it soon...
  7. Replies
    Views

Handy tool heads up!

After a long backorder, these are back in stock. Great for smoothing out that tricky scroll!!

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=67195&cat=1,42524
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: First attempt at a burst on an F5

James was a lot of help to me also. His article in American Luthierie is really helpful for anyone trying this. My A style came out really nice n the maple but the spruce... Not so much. As John said...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: First attempt at a burst on an F5

Very nice!
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Building dry.

Yeah... Here in the Southeastern US, humidity is as much a certainty as death and taxes...
  11. Re: Flat Sawn vs. Quarter Sawn Neck Block? Plywood tailblock?

Just got a steal on a beautifully figured 5/4 maple board... The grain (for the most part) runs diagonal. Reading previous posts I'm assuming this is called "rift-sawn"... Is it unsuitable for necks?...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Fringe benefits....

The flamed maple stuff has ended up making some pretty productive flatsided crankbaits...
  13. Replies
    Views

Fringe benefits....

My day job kinda bites, mainly because it means I have to get away from building mandolins but it has its benefits... The crates we ship out are usually made of spruce and while 99%...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Plastic fauxl ivoroid binding

If the hazmat fee is the holdup, I've bought the celluloid binding off of eBay and not paid the hazmat fee... It comes from China and you have to wait a while (maybe two weeks) to get it but I've had...
  15. Re: Flat Sawn vs. Quarter Sawn Neck Block? Plywood tailblock?

If I'm understanding the OP correctly, it's not the neck in question (which is stated to be flat sawn) but the actual BLOCK that is being discussed. If that's so, then several people have recommended...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Bending Herringbone

I saw that and it's giving me ideas.... Expensive, harebrained ideas....
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for bone nut source.

I'll be dropping by the one in Fayetteville today Tom... If they have a better selection I'll let you know.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Makers getting Top Dollar

I can name (but won't...) at LEAST 10 builders who don't get that kind of scratch for their instruments but whose work is every bit as good as any of the above mentioned builders....
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: First attempt at a hand rub sunburst...

You can say that again, John... The maple was very forgiving but the spruce was a bear...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: First attempt at a hand rub sunburst...

No finish yet. I just finished the dye work about two hours ago and am going to wait a day or two to start the finishing process, which will be French polish.

I'm going to leave what I've got...
  21. Replies
    Views

First attempt at a hand rub sunburst...

Here's my first attempt at a 100% hand rubbed 'burst, with apologies to Mr Condino... Had I attended his workshop I'n Knoxvegas this weekend I'm sure it would have turned out much...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Dudenbostel Dovetail Neck Jig

My idea is a lot less dramatic (and I'll be interested to see how well it actually pans out...). Cut about 4 or 5 identical blocks out of hardwood to shape, glue them together to form the jig and...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: bandsaw or scroll saw

Man, that thing is AWESOME!! It looks like it ought to have bomb bay doors on the back and some Vargas Girl artwork on it somewhere! Are a leather jacket and goggles required to play that?
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuning Machines for 1920 Gibson A

StewMac has some specifically designed for older Gibsons, iirc. I think they are Golden Age.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Steaming Question

I guess I should have said "less moisture than [I]I[I] was putting in the wood" is better!!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4