Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Mandola - Tonedexter Settings & Pickup Questions

Side note - the last version of the software no longer does the feedback correction in any slot.

I tried Mandola in both the lower and higher banks, and it definitely sounds better in the lower,...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: I just got given this....

You are better off using tenor banjo strings than mandolin strings. Use the lightest you can find.

“Agreeable sound” - I am a fan of banjo-mandolins (but then, I like old string and jug band...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: DPA body clip - tightness

The clip is fixed to the instrument body, the mic (which is mounted on a gooseneck) fits in the clip. DPA makes mounts for a wide variety of instruments. If you search for “DOA 4099 guitar” you’ll...
  4. Re: Should one learn mandolin/mandola before tenor banjo/guitar?

Based on this, as a mandola, mandolin, and trad jazz tenor player, I recommend a plectrum banjo. The advantage is that plectrum banjos are in low demand, so it is easy to get high-quality vintage...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Here’s something I did a year ago February, with some mandolin content. It was very quickly done.

https://youtu.be/b6l_hf8--XQ
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: The mandolin: Instrument of the year, 2023

The “Wandervogelbewegung:”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wandervogel
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Should They Be Necessary?

When I change strings (cast tailpiece with studs) I slip the grommet over the stud so I don’t have to worry about the loop coming up. I’m sure I’m not the first person to do that. Then afterwards...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Unusual Instrument at a Jam

It’s not bluegrass, but don’t underestimate the tuba. Eli Newberger on tuba with the great Jimmy Mazzy:

https://youtu.be/Sbu2uyGft3E
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Licensing a Song to Cover for an Album

An irrelevant story:

Back in the 70s, some friends of mine were recording an LP to sell at their gigs. This was back when it cost a small fortune to record, and another to press a few hundred...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: All Blues - Miles Davis

I couldn’t say “best,” but he certainly wasn’t leaving anything on the table. Always liked Cannonball’s playing; imho few can play a ballad as well as he did. “Something Else,” recorded about the...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: instrument an offensive weapon (no mando)

12. Replies
    Views

Re: “Banjo killer”? Wishful thinking?

Not just that - the resonators were developed in a time when the tenor banjo was the hottest version, not the five string. These banjos were played in horn bands. They had to be loud as all get-out. ...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Mount Rushmore.

How about noN-bluegrass players? At least one? Yank Rachell?
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin same tuning as a tenor banjo?

Well, I play tenor (C-G-D-A) and mandolin. The intervals are the same, but obviously the tenor is a fifth lower, like a mandola. Nevertheless, whatever I learn one one, I try on the other, without...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Out of my league

In the seventies, I not only had a Devastator, I had a first-run Exterminator. It was pretty player-grade, though - but it had tone to die for. I later traded it for a Firebird X. Stupid move.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Out of my league

Fools! The first 23 Shmergels had a ‘c’ in them. He changed the name to hide his German background. A genuine ‘Schmergel’ is worth twice a Loar!
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Early Blues Mandolin

Well, I'm a new player, and thanks to this thread, I picked up some of the stuff mentioned here. I am working through the Steve James videos, and it's just what the doctor ordered. When he presents a...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: cites rules on older instruments

Please note that although the regulations may be a pain for musicians, there are good reasons for them. Gangs would illegally clear-cut rosewood growths for use in furniture, popular in Asia. They...
  19. Re: The long, arduous journey of Silverangel #438 - with a happy

I live on the German border - it would be, shall we say, poor taste here. Too similar to other words.

I'm pretty sure the guys in Swaziland wanted to finally learn what the airspeed velocity of a...
  20. The long, arduous journey of Silverangel #438 - with a happy end

I am not a mandolin player.

I play a bit, but it’s a sideline. I play a cheap pressed-top instrument. It’s fine.

I’ve been listening more and more to music with mandolin, and got the bug, and...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Funny Banjo Content

22. Replies
    Views

Re: Predicting the Future

You know, something odd occurred a few months ago.

Let me first say I am not particularly a fan of rap or any related forms.

I was at rehab (following a heart attack - gives you an idea of my...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Silverangel praise

And he’s a ‘straightahead’ guy to deal with - I just ordered my first good mandolin from him and now I have to wait.
    I can use the time to practice on my cheap pressed-top mando.

Is it done yet? ...
  24. Thread: I never learn

by stevo58
    Replies
    Views

Re: I never learn

In the mid 80s I was doing heavy-duty C programming on Vax and Unix systems, using a PC-XT as a terminal. I couldn’t boot one day and called support. He came, checked a few things, and plugged my PC...