Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Armenian mandolin idea, inspired by oud

Agreed, if you can ever study with Yurdal, take the chance. Anyone at Labyrinth is going to be a fantastic teacher.

I listened to him so much when I was younger, enchanted is the right word!...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Rembetiko on the mandolin

Thanks I hope to share a lot of it on the Mando Cafe. I know that we have many members here interested in related instruments and history!

Speaking of rembetiko on the mandolin. There was a very...
  3. Replies
    Views

Eight string players only stick to CFAd. Six string players play DAd almost all of the time, even the hardcore rembetiko players. It's not nearly as common as a guitarist playing a song or two in an...
  4. Replies
    Views

I devoured the Jordi Savall concert series some time ago. Efrén Lopez from Valencia is also responsible for bridging the East and West together in his music and just a very nice person, overall....
  5. Replies
    Views

Continued...

A poverty version of Misirlou, pieced together from at least five versions that I remembered. Sorry. This is an Anatolian folk song that was also played in rembetiko and later became...
  6. Replies
    Views

Rembetiko on the mandolin

This is a medley inspired by four songs: O Katadikos by Yiovan Tsaous (Yiannis Eintziridis) from 1936. Skyla M’ekanes kai liono by Markos Vamvakaris from 1935. Paraponiariko Mou by Apostolos...
  7. Replies
    Views

Good discussion going on. I don't think the microtones are really the deciding factor, if you don't know how to play the scales at all. After all, if you play Turkish or Greek music equally tempered...
  8. Replies
    Views

Here is what I listened to in my younger years, a more modern period oud playing.

Haig Yazdjian, who went from Syria to live in Greece and is a very esteemed artist there who brings Armenian folk...
  9. Replies
    Views

Yes, that's the story. And Agapios played with Roza Eskenazy, one of the earliest and most famous rembetiko singers. They wrote many songs with the violinist Dimitris Semsis. And Agapios was also...
  10. Replies
    Views

No David, a Perlgold eastern German from the 1970s. Converted to lefthanded. Sakis (Matsikas) mandolins have a longer scale length, I believe. That is very nice for Greek style playing, actually.
  11. Replies
    Views

Thank you, Simon!

For oud tunings, there are many. From bass to treble: EABead might be considered standard by many on Turkish and Greek oud. I also know C#F#BEAd, BF#BEAd. DABEAd is also popular...
  12. Replies
    Views

I am sorry for the confusion, I embedded a video in my post yestreday when I was on the go. But it did not post! Here is my piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7guKRpz96I
  13. Replies
    Views

Armenian mandolin idea, inspired by oud

I am a seriously lousy oud player, but so inspired by others. Some very important oud players came from Constantinople and Smyrna. Marko Melkon (Alemsherian) and Agapios Tomboulis (Hagop Stambulyan)...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Conway wooden plectrum

It feels very solid. Might be because it's so thick, that it doesn't slip off the strings? Like I said, I never tried a thinner wooden plectrum before. The pick is quite smooth, too. Not a coarse...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Modal music (Balkan) on the mandolin

And for what it's worth, here is this "other" modal music, as it is natively played in northern Greece and ex-Yugoslavia. Macedonian and Thracian folk from the regions, without fighting about who...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Modal music (Balkan) on the mandolin

The modes are actually different and the tonality is too, but there really are similarities to klezmer. I know a guy who plays klezmer clarinet, we used to compare songs often. Misirlou is in a scale...
  17. Replies
    Views

Modal music (Balkan) on the mandolin

Traditionally, this music is played on gajda bagpipes and kaval flutes. The ensembles of the ex-Yugoslavian nations are accompanied by a stringed instrument with double courses called the tambura, or...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Show off your back side

1960s Portuguese shape domeback mandolin, most likely from an East German maker. Missing labels. The light wood is definitely flamed maple. The darker one might be plum or pear. A luthier said it's...
  19. Epirote music on mandolin, in standard and modal tuning

This music is usually played on laouto (lute), clarinet and violin. At times an accordion accompanies it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4yuts04qpc

I would call this an open or a modal...
  20. The new (old) mandolins of long time reader.

The vintage subforum says to post about instruments from before 1945, so I figured this would fit better here. My name is Niki and I have been a long time mando cafe reader, easily since 2009. And...