Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber NAMM video

Most people that have spent 5 minutes at a show would agree this is a virtual impossibility unless you have soundproofed rooms. Ear splitting chaos does not even begin to describe the floor.
  2. Replies
    Views

It’s that time of year

Merry Christmas to all of my Cafe friends. Merry Christmas to Scott and the cafe as well. This would be a great time to donate a few bucks to the cafe. Scott has worked hard for years to make this...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Higher Education for Mandolin

Alas, classical mandolin hasn’t found an academic home yet in the USA, although there are some college programs that have been mentioned above that have included mandolin in some way. These programs...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

I played it on my Martin 000-28, though I wrote it on my Collings MT. This is a rough cut of my song, "Vader Tavern." This is a true story. (Note: my Parkinson's Plus Syndrome has affected my...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: We Honor Your Service

I'm of an age to remember when the experience of military service was much more widespread among the (male) US population. I was drafted in the fall of 1965, served two years in an infantry company...
  6. Replies
    Views

Tchaikovsky on mandolin

I've been playing around with two very different Tchaikovsky pieces, both of which I think work nicely on mandolin:

P.I. Tchaikovsky: Album for the Young/Children's Album (Op. 39, 1878)
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Nice playing!
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Classically Trained, wanting to expand

And well she should. Several interesting and enlightening comments here. Thanks to Emily for triggering it.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Orange County, California

There's the San Diego Mandolin Orchestra (https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Performance---Event-Venue/San-Diego-Mandolin-Orchestra-San-Diego-California-1798728603741064/) and the Classical...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Improvising

Wow …. You are on the right track. Ultimately improv is an effort to play what you hear in your head and to allow your brain and fingers to connect to the music without conscious thought. I often use...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Orange County, California

Hi!

I live in Studio City, moved into town about 3 months ago. I would love to start playing some more classical music on the mandolin! I know it is a bit far but we should meet up at some point.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Lessons for Beginners

I agree with Randi. When I was teaching guitar lessons, most if it came from word of mouth, but it started with putting a notice up on a bulletin board. I also played instrumentally at wine...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Lessons for Beginners

I'd start advertising by putting your card or some other paper with your contact information on it on the bulletin boards in local music stores, if there are any; on what passes for message space at...