Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD315 Repair Question

I wouldn't be too worried about it, as it's quite common on the 300 and 500 series (no back binding). The Eastmans touchy with humdity and heat, chances are over time it will happen in other spots....
  2. Replies
    Views

You said "fellow luthiers", are you a luthier? Make some white-glue/filler mix with some matching wood dust and rub it into the binding gap. That is all.
  3. Replies
    Views

Personally, unless the binding is separating I would leave it, I have a lot worse on my guitar it adds character and lets people know that it isn't for show 8-), if you really want to fix it though...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Where to learn the art of mandolin making?

That looks like a Russian style violin similar to those made by Rigat Rubus of St. Petersburg. You can see one example here.
  5. Replies
    Views

Indecently, while there is art as an aspect of lutherie, it is mostly craft. Learning to be a good craftsman is the important thing for building good instruments. Most of the art involved is in...
  6. Replies
    Views

Well, it's not hard. And I'm not special or talented, I just enjoy the process. If you enjoy it, then it'll be easy. The most earnest parts for me is getting the binding to look nice, sanding away...
  7. Replies
    Views

#1 is the light brown, constructed when I was 12 with the guidance on an experienced luthier. The red one is #2, but my first solo construction. Again, hope this will be encouraging to you!
  8. Replies
    Views

Ive been buying and restoring violins for 10 years and just got my first Russian style violin two days ago on ebay. Cant wait to get started on it.

As far a building from scratch, dont let it...
  9. Replies
    Views

John gives an excellent answer. Let me just offer two additional thoughts.

1. Build a kit with excellent instructions. Pick a kit that requires the maximum amount of work. Saga kits are popular...
  10. Replies
    Views

If you don't already have it get Siminoff's Building a Bluegrass Mandolin. I think your approach makes a lot of sense but I would buy a few junker mandos and restore them before building from...
  11. Replies
    Views

As Michael said, right here.
    The search feature on this site will bring up at least one discussion on just about any question you can come up with. Read everything you can, ask questions, observe...
  12. Re: Where to learn the art of mandolin making?

You can learn right here and in your own shop. What do you want to make? An 'a' style, F style, other design. or? If you are serious about making instruments on a professional level you need to...
  13. Thread: Thile lesson

by Chris W.
    Replies
    Views

Thile lesson

http://youtu.be/IdhVC0DzfFY
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: There is hope for Guitar Players yet!

#2 (best mandolin intro/outro on a pop single) :mandosmiley: ... and before stewart was abducted by aliens)
  15. 1926 Gibson F-2 restoration by Jonathan McClanahan. Pics and vide

Hello everyone! This mandolin isn't mine but I restored it for one of my customers. The top had multiple cracks in it and began to cave in. It had a lot of issues but the restoration came out great!...
  16. Re: Trinity College OM with fishman pickup for $400. Should I buy

To save $400? A four-hour round trip would be, to me, a no-brainer.

Now, I assume the higher price was for the TM-625 and the lower price for the TM-325, which you can purchase new discounted...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: What to use for stain/finish?

If you are using watco or true oil make sure you seal the wood before you use an oil type finish. Shelac works well . I use bullseye in a rattle can. You don't want oil soaking the wood.
  18. Replies
    Views

Please, please, please... don't use this stuff. I don't know why it's on the market. It should be called "Instant Ugly".
    Or maybe "Ugly in a Can".

19. Replies
    Views

"Hardware store" products containing shellac are often problematic due to the fact that shellac being a natural product has a shelf life once mixed. You don't know how old pre mixed products or if...
  20. Replies
    Views

Upgraded Fender Mando Strat

So I purchased a stock fender Mando Strat from Sam Ash and I made the following upgrades. The sound improvement is very noticeable and overall the mando is much more playable. Here is what I did.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: 1960's Harmony Mandolin

If anybody looks at that link and wonders where that guy got the magnet he's using to clamp the crack and the cleat, it's out of a hard drive. If you have one that's bad and take the time to take it...
  22. Replies
    Views

My grandmother bought me one of these in the mid 1960's, under the theory that since I played violin I should play a saintly mandolin, rather than one of those heathen guitars. I think she paid $35...
  23. Replies
    Views

Honestly, you're not going to ruin the value of the instrument. Enjoy doing anything you want with it.

If you want to see what the market is on this or any instrument go to eBay and search on...
  24. Replies
    Views

My first mandolin was the very same model.. Stella Harmony. Bought it new for $49.95 with case and Mel Bay's "Fun with Strums"
    was thrown in. That was back in 1970. I wish I still had it. I learned...
  25. Replies
    Views

If it is playable and sounds decent you did not over pay.
Page 1 of 2 1 2