Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Has Anyone Built a Cigar Box Mandolin?

It did - although I think I overbraced it, and kind of took some of the deepness out of the low end. Lots of midrange. I never adjusted to the scale length, but here's a video of me playing (poorly)...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Has Anyone Built a Cigar Box Mandolin?

I have also built a few, including a wine box 20” scale octave mandolin (which I just sold last week, below.) They definitely need bracing!

3. Replies
    Views

Re: What has your mandolin been called?

I've also been told 'That's not a mandolin. What is it really?'

Erm... an 8-string 1/4 size lute with f-holes? I don't know?
  4. Replies
    Views

I was playing my octave on stage and a fellow came up and said “what is that an oud?” Seemed odd that he knew of an oud but not a big mandolin. Another time I was in the park playing some of the...
  5. Replies
    Views

I don't have a good one... but when I tell people I make guitars, they say, "Cool!"
    When I tell people I make mandolins, they say, "Why?"
  6. Replies
    Views

Well Len, it's simple. When a customer walks into a bank with a violin case people are generally afraid that he has a machine gun in it and will take it out and rob the place. When a customer walks...
  7. Replies
    Views

My wife calls them 'Mandolins'.

It's the accompanying adjectives that are questionable... especially if she's home to see the UPS man drop off anther oblong cardboard box.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

A mandolin being built for Green Mountain Bluegrass & Roots festival in Manchester, VT. This will be raffled off along with a Seeders banjo and a Pre-War acoustic guitar. A great festival that...