Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: To Cafe Members on the US West Coast

No disrepect taken; you make many valid points. It boggles my mind too that people will keep returning to and rebuilding in high-risk areas. I'm still new to this forum and wasn't aware this was a...
  2. Replies
    Views

To Cafe Members on the US West Coast

Hello Mando Gang,

I just wanted to say that, if you're on the west coast and if there's any chance of fires getting near you, please act now to get things ready to leave. Get all your important...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Pinched Nerves and Hand Tremor?

Any compression in vertebrae starting with C5 through C7 (including the C8 spinal nerve) can cause all sorts of problems down the arms and hands. Numbness or tingling are common but not universal...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: The Monrover newsletter.

Haven't got mine yet, but I'm really curious now - I need all the laughs I can get these days. :cow:
  5. Thread: String winder

by Erin M
    Replies
    Views

Re: String winder

I ended up sticking part of a wadded up cotton ball in mine to stop it hitting the side.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Love the shirt too! :)

- - - Updated - - -

No better way to get a day started than with J. S.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Slow Jam Tips Needed

One of the reasons I'm grateful to be the bass player in jams (at least until I get capable enough on mandolin and the COVID nightmare ends): not many opportunities to solo. So basically I pay...
  8. Thread: String winder

by Erin M
    Replies
    Views

Re: String winder

Yep, I have one - works nicely for me. I'm always wary when using it though; a little sideways torque when you're winding on a string could potentially bend the tuner shaft (especially the longer...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Chinese made mandolins (Northfield?)

I have a Kentucky KM1000 - it was made in China. I originally resisted for that reason, but the truth is, it came highly recommended by a friend who is an experienced player. It turns out, it...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: What Do You Use for Editing Standard Notation

Hi Peter,
    I've been using Sibelius for many years, but I'm planning to move to Dorico. Dorico is a product designed to address many of the limitations and UI design issues that exist in Sibelius. ...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Speed related issues

I'm mainly a bassist - rhythm, timing and groove are everything with bass. And I had it drilled into me early on that the metronome is your friend; it helps you develop that internal clock. 27...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: playing partner{s]

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the topic here, but your quote made me think about something:

When chatting with some friends who teach music, they sometimes point out how younger people, raised on...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: playing partner{s]

Can be hard in these times of pandemics, but internet-based jam sessions are becoming a thing. I honestly haven't tried this yet (I will when time allows), but it seems popular. Here's a couple of...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Your Mandolin Your Beer

Not a fan of hoppy beer either - way too bitter for me. And IPA's and similar are about all you can find around here these days. Ew. Either way, I'd rather stick with my Chardonnay anyhow :)
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Harvard Musical IQ

It was kind of long, but I went through it anyway just for the heck of it. The only one of the three sections that gave me trouble was the third - beat alignment. In some examples, the beat was off...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Stupid Deal of the Day

:grin: weed mixed with patchouli?
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Barry Harris method for learning bebop

Absolutely - thank you Pete, I'm really enjoying your videos.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: "Pointed" Question From A Beginner

So I guess, in short, I should wear longer shorts. :)
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Recording through the Bach Cello Suites

Beautiful!

I've tried reading through parts of Suites I and II (G Maj and D min) just for fun. I'm way too new to mandolin to be attempting such challenging repertoire, so my attempt sounded...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: A Newcomer to Mandolin Asks the Experts

I don't have a whole lot of guitar experience (just enough to be dangerous - to others), but yes, I've noticed the weak hammer-on/pull-offs. Before I started, I was watching a video of Chris Thile...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Learn to play multiple instruments at once?

I'm a bassist primarily. Words of wisdom here, especially if you play upright bass.

Wait, on second thought, don't learn bass - it's more competition for me (just kidding) :)
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: A Newcomer to Mandolin Asks the Experts

To me, if you've been playing longer than 2 months, you're an expert :)
  23. Replies
    Views

A Newcomer to Mandolin Asks the Experts

Hello friends,

For years, I've wanted to learn mandolin, but due to time and money just not being there, I haven't been able to start - until now. I've had the good fortune of being able to...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Gender and age distribution of mando players

Another female checking in. Hi! Yes, we're out here :mandosmiley: (total mando beginner though, but loving every minute of it)

Bass is my primary instrument with a few decades of experience on it,...