Search:

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Has Anyone Received Stimulus Check? (Possible Mandolin Conten

Not yet. By alll accounts, I'll have to wait two more weeks.
  2. Replies
    Views

I'm Baaaaack

Hi all. Sorry to have had to drop out of sight for a while, but I hope I can get back into the swing of things now.

I don't know if this is familiar to y'all, but I wanted to share this with...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: The brain doesn't forget

My brain rarely forgets, it being fairly immune to new input in the first place. You can't lose what you never had.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: John Denver playing mandolin

John definitely had some chops. I still remember getting Poems, Prayers, and Promises when it was released. To this day, I can't listen to Rocky Mountain High without a lump in my throat.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: First Post, First Mandolin The Loar LM-220

Welcome aboard. Everybody here is supplying some great advice and I can't add much. Some of the advice you'll get is where to go for instruction and materials. All I can add to that is that I've...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: In Praise of Mediocrity (?)

Fortunately, I've never been forced to suffer such indignity.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Orange on WGBH

I first stumbled across them when they did "Wildlfire". I thought they had covered Michael Martin Murphey's song. I couldn't stop listening to them. This one is going in my collection.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: One more musical icon passes

Suck on this, Malmsteen...

https://youtu.be/H0TMVQzC0Cg

Adios, Roy. I hope to sit in your audience up there one day.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: "That other instruement"

I've known what a mandolin was since I was quite young. I still feel some mild surprise when someone doesn't know what's that thing on the couch. I guess I don't consider that not everyone grew up...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Ebay: mandolin art

Inspired, I ran this down. Now I wish I had a garden.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-15-Tall-Cement-Gnome-Elf-Playing-Mandolin-Garden-Art-Concrete-Statue-/391399849040
  11. Replies
    Views

Blast From The Past

Just ran across this thumbing through NPR Tiny Desk Series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_CKeb2gPQ8
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman mandolin factory (video)

I may not be a judge of such, but that looked like craftsmanship to me. Are there any videos of Rogue workers slapping together cheapo mandolins for comparison?
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Ibanez Mandolin question

You could always just leave it off. Depends on your need for beauty. Here's another idea. As long as it's off why not put one on that's not so ornery. If you want to spend, Allen makes several cast...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Roasting pan tenor guitar

People make instruments out of all kinds of stuff.

https://youtu.be/XdpbspYiOUQ
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Roasting pan tenor guitar

How quaintly pedestrian. Dig this...

https://youtu.be/-tAEAyHgCec
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: For the Record - unusual 20’s mandolin

It does have a vaguely nautical look to it.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice on First Mandolin

The lm310 actually has a solid top. It is still not as good a choice as a completely solid instrument. You should only choose it if you insist on having an f style. Which is fine if that's what you...
  18. Re: Differences between various Eastman A models?

Hmmmm. Well, okay, if it speaks to you, then go for it. At least, it sounds like you can play it. If it were up to me, though, it would stay there a little while longer. There are plenty of other...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Cafe Classifieds Misplaced Ads

Now that you mention it, it is dismaying to wander through a garden of mandolins, only to stumble over a banjo. I noticed it, yes, mission accomplished, but since I wasn't looking for a banjo, it...
  20. Re: Differences between various Eastman A models?

Yes, thank you, I totally agree. The decisions I made were mine alone, and were more of a personal choice than anything else. I'm sure the vast majority of 300 Eastmans need no mods at all. All I...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Intermediate Upgrade

This is only my own opinion here, and we know what they're like. I just couldn't bring myself to buy a Mk mandolin. They are liked by some, but many say they are too heavy with thick tops and do not...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

You don't learn by being right.

When I was 20 I acquired a Gibson SG from an acquaintance who owed me $35 (1978). Knowing what a Gibson was, I still traded it for a pair of rubbish car speakers...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Fretboard inlays

I think the block inlays on the fretboard are quite fetching, myself.

Also, owing to my, err..., replete nature, I can see the dots on my fretboard quite easily.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Fretboard inlays

I like just the dots for reference points. Too much adornment on the fretboard, though, can be disorienting.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone know about Luna mandolins?

Actually the manufacturer doesn't say "solid spruce". They say "select spruce". That's not the aame thing. If it was solid they would say so specifically. That's a selling point that raises the price...
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4