Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade?

I have a pair of Breedloves: Legacy FF and Quartz FF. Both were made in Bend, OR, before Breedlove moved their mandolin manufacture to China. I bought both from Dennis Vance at the Mandolin Store...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade?

Years ago I had a Breedlove OO that I loved. Traded it in for a Collings MT-O. I’ve had 4 MT-O’s since then, liked everyone of them so much that I decided to stop playing the catch and release game...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: More Gibson Antics

The thing with a lot of these other builders is that the prices being asked are so close to what I could get a nice Gibson F-5 for, with the exception of something like, say a Weber or a Gilchrist, I...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Damaged Gibson F5

Probably a good choice, Bruce should know the construction well.
  5. Replies
    Views

Hi all: Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've decided to go with Bruce Weber. Looks like the Gibson will get a new top.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Late 1990's - Production Mandolin Boom?

When I started working as the engineer for Gibson/Flatiron in 1995, in Belgrade, MT, Gibson had the majority of the domestic mandolin manufacturing and sales market. I believe it was something over...
  7. Re: Late 1990's - Production Mandolin Boom?

Hi Bren, I was reading and about to say 'you didn;t tell me about your Gilchrist' until I kept on reading. I too had a mandolin built by Marshall Dow. I was sitting in my office around 1990 I think...
  8. Thread: NMC, sort of

by DaveGinNJ
    Replies
    Views

Re: NMC, sort of

I sure they are using an algorithm to do that. The same happens on Reverb when you watch an item
  9. Replies
    Views

Baby boomers were hitting the 45-55 year old range, peak earnings for many, their kids were grown etc so they had more disposable cash.
    I wonder if Harley Davidson sales went up then too?

In 1998...
  10. Replies
    Views

REM had a couple of hits with prominent mandolin earlier in the 90s, also in the UK we had the Waterboys and the Levellers who definitely influenced some peers of mine (as a 90s teenager) to pick up...
  11. Replies
    Views

As I continue to cogitate on it. There was also a gap in the market for domestic instruments with Gibson's acquisition of Flatiron. You basically had a choice of a Gibson product, an import, or a...
  12. Replies
    Views

Consider a call to Bruce Weber in Montana.
    Montanalutherie.com, I think is their website.
  13. Replies
    Views

I wonder if Jerry's death in '95 pushed interest in his side projects in the subsequent years. There was also the "acoustic boom" after the MTV Unplugged performances of Clapton and Nirvana, I...
  14. Replies
    Views

I think there probably was an uptick in demand. As a bit of a deadhead in my early to mid 20s at the time, it seemed like lots of people around me were discovering the Jerry and Dawg collaborations...
  15. Re: Wanting a better treble out of my Collings Mandolin

Collings ovals like heavier A and E strings if you want stronger treble. I personally like GHS Pure Nickel and Monels from various makers. The wound strings in those sets brings out the dry, woody...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Arthritis

Well, a few weeks of no sugar and limiting bread has helped a lot. We’ll see if it continues.
  17. Replies
    Views

Thanks Doc, for bringing this thread back on topic. The first thing that should have been pointed out is that Gibson has a trademark on the Les Paul body and what they call the "ES" body (the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Gibson has one consistent trait:
    Consistently inconsistent.
  19. Re: Strategies (or contraptions) to tame the flying fingers?

A few thoughts - hope it helps :)

1. Play major scales but do not lift your fingers on the way up the scale - if your playing an A major scale for example, your 1st finger plays the A on the 2nd...
  20. Re: Strategies (or contraptions) to tame the flying fingers?

Relax your hand on a table or the arm of a chair, lift your index finger, curve it and press the tip for a second as you would when playing, lay the finger down and relax it, do the same with the...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: I miss the Classified Guitar posts....

Think of the time you save not drooling over guitars you’re not going to buy…
    Take a stroll outside in the sunshine, smell the flowers, greet small woodland creatures…

: )

Kirk
  22. Current state of the art flat top mandolin

This is my latest 4th generation flat top mandolin. This is the culmination of 12 years of work improving the sound of the flat top mandolin. It all started from the fact that it is possible to...
  23. 12 THINGS I Wish I Knew as a Beginner Mandolinist(interesting vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNxkFDDObL0
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice on mandolin Upgrade

Checkout the Breedlove A's. The American made ones have a radiused fingerboard that is a bit wider than many alternatives in that range. I know a guy with two of them and the both sound very good...
  25. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

Being relatively close to Lowe Vintage and having taken a couple of trips to Carter's and Gruhn's, I've been able to get my hands on some good 'uns. I've played three Loars (two 1923s and a 1924). 2...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4