Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson? on eBay

They were about that bad on the '74 F12 I used to own, and the peghead wood grain was almost identical as well. Plus these were the years subject to 'binding rot' so some of that may be repair.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: "The Kentucky" vs. "Kentucky"

Does it look anything like this one?

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/120705-Kentucky-KM-1000-Japanese-era-All-Black

The Japanese-built early 80's mandolins did in fact say only...
  3. Re: Looking for mandolin as a wedding gift for my fiance. Please

For the most part you'll pay a good bit extra for an F-style over a similar A-style. There's just more work in them. You didn't say what your budget is, but I'm going to infer that it's around $300...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Just French Polish on this Sullivan?

I have gigged for a couple years with a FP mandolin. I was concerned about durability but I can say that it has held up extremely well. All I do is wipe it down after playing, and occasionally clean...
  5. Thread: The Gaudreau

by JLeather
    Replies
    Views

Re: The Gaudreau

I haven't been on the forum as much the past few months so I missed this thread. Having owned this instrument for the past 3+ years I can make a few comments, which are hopefully appropriate. In the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: BlueChip Advice?

Might be too late to this thread, but I'd recommend you give the Wegen TF 140 a shot if you like this style of pick. It's my personal pick of choice. I really prefer the slicker material of the...
  7. Replies
    Views

Kentucky KM-1000 Japanese-era All Black

Just picked this mandolin up today. Trying to answer a few questions. I have read all the Japanese-era Kentucky threads I could find. My guess is it was a mid-80's build? It says "Kentucky" and...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Morris A5 or Kentucky KM-950

I've owned a KM950 and a Morris A5. Although both are long gone from my possession I don't need them side by side to tell you they were very different tonally. The KM950 was a good loud cutting...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Question for Seasoned Ebay sellers

One thing to note is the weight of the package (listed on the receipt when you shipped it) and the weight of the package when returned to you. It may show that the package was heavier when you...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: 1917 H1 Question

I saw that one. It did look pretty good and original. The guy has a weird selling tactic, though. It has been re-listed repeatedly in 1-day auctions. I'd say that has at least something to do...
  11. Rigell A-Plus Deluxe Custom (all black) 1997?

Just recently picked this up on eBay. S/N 1301, which I think makes it about a '97. Custom A-Plus Deluxe in all black. Great sounding mandolin. The review are all pretty much spot on. Not much...
  12. Re: Reliable Luthier for Florida Scoop in the DC area?

Marc is a good choice. I've also had work done at Fairbuilt Guitars (who also make mandolins) in Purcellville, VA:

http://www.fairbuilt.com/
  13. Thread: CITES issues

by JLeather
    Replies
    Views

Re: CITES issues

I suspect a great many musicians would happily comply with the CITES paperwork, if the government would ever decide what exactly it wants from you. Here's the current excerpt from the Fish and...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: About those 48 hour approval periods....

If someone is selling an instrument its their responsibility to prepare it for sale. I treat the trial period the same as finding a mando in a music shop or going to see one on craigslist. No store...
  15. Re: Gibson H2 Mandola (1907ish?) Need Advice and a Good Luthier

Given that the bridge appears to be original, and the string height seems fairly close to what you'd want it to be, I don't believe the top has sunk much at all.

Allen, the case is indeed leather...
  16. My band "ClearSpring" playing around with a webcam setup

Not sure this is the right place to put these, but the band I'm in has been playing around with a webcam mounted to the mic stand to catch some of our playing. Still haven't gotten the sound level...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Adjusting truss rod

The truss rod only impacts the neck relief (curvature) from the nut to the body joint (usually 12th fret on a mandolin). Best way to check neck relief is to "note" the G string at the 1st and 12th...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of your band!!

The front and back cover art from our first CD. The band is ClearSpring. The car actually belonged to the guitar player (with the sideburns) at the time. We took it out for pizza after the shoot...