Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Comparions? '95 Flatiron A5 Jr vs.' 00 Flatiron Performer A

I'm pretty sure that the A5 Jr. will have an elevated fretboard. There are a few other discussions of this on the forum, and most seem to be, at least. The integrated fretboard extension seem to be...
  2. Re: Thank Mando Cafe and people.. got a mandolin!

Congratulations!

(also... pics or it didn't happen) :cool:
  3. Re: Long-term (1-2 years) storage of a mandolin

Right, but the problem is the relative humidity in the environment that it's going to be stored, not the humidity outside.

But as soon as you start heating that room, that relative humidity is...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Gender

Two things about this have always seemed fairly evident. First is that men frequently express affection for, dote on, and even caress objects that they possess such as instruments and vehicles, and...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage vs New

I was going to say something fairly similar. I also have been playing guitar for years, mostly acoustic, and have a pretty good sense of what a good guitar sounds like, and can pick up nuances in...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Late 1990's - Production Mandolin Boom?

As I continue to cogitate on it. There was also a gap in the market for domestic instruments with Gibson's acquisition of Flatiron. You basically had a choice of a Gibson product, an import, or a...
  7. Replies
    Views

I wonder if Jerry's death in '95 pushed interest in his side projects in the subsequent years. There was also the "acoustic boom" after the MTV Unplugged performances of Clapton and Nirvana, I...
  8. Replies
    Views

I think there probably was an uptick in demand. As a bit of a deadhead in my early to mid 20s at the time, it seemed like lots of people around me were discovering the Jerry and Dawg collaborations...
  9. Re: I know this is a subjective question but rank your top player

In order of how much time I've probably spent listening to them:

Jeff Austin
    Chris Thile
    David Grisman
    Phoffman (Greensky)
    Drew Emmitt (Leftover Salmon)
    John Skehan (Railroad Earth)
    Jarrod...
  10. Re: Mike Compton demonstrates his 2008 Duff F-5 mandolin

Mandolin sounds real good. But, I'm only a few years into mandolin playing, and maybe I'm missing something, so I might be crucified for this... but the playing sounds really sloppy and and inexact,...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Instrument Selling Rules, Please?

The guidelines are posted in the Classified section:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?print_guidelines_page_button=on
  12. Re: Strategies (or contraptions) to tame the flying fingers?

Exhibit A of flying pinkyitis (and one of the most unflattering angles of myself I've yet seen). Keep your eye on the pinky:

https://youtu.be/Z8xE84PiXQ0
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Trapeze tailpiece

Just so you know, you're responding to a three year old post, which is itself a response to a post from 2013.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: David Benedict's new dream mandolin

Pretty nice "freebie." Though, the couple comments about Oliver letting him "play it for free," sounds like maybe he's not going to be keeping it? Also, the references to "Loar specs," but it also...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Tailpeice alignment- is this a problem?

It'll pull parallel (more or less) with the neck away from the headstock. Some people use a coin for leverage and as a finger saver. They can be tight, if they're crooked it might be tighter. But,...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Lutherie as an art form

To be fair to pedantic stuffy academics, of which I am one, there are a range of perspectives on this. For some time now, particularly since the infamous 1984 MoMA "Primitivism" exhibit, the...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Lutherie as an art form

You say it with such confidence. But, in fact the distinctions between art and craft have been hotly debated for quite sometime, and largely upheld along fracture lines in society that conveniently...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Cafe Hat

Any input from those with fuller figured heads? Many "one-size fits all" hats are too small for my noggin.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Playing around with Blair Atholl (still no smiling):

https://youtu.be/Z8xE84PiXQ0
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing quiet=Good Tone?

Just banging away on it isn't the ticket to good tone. But playing too quiet isn't either. The middle of the dynamic range allowing you to actually play with suitable dynamics is probably the sweet...
  21. Re: D'Addario Micro Headstock vs Micro Clip Free tuners

To say nothing of the fact that, had Gene Autry used the clip-free model, you'd have likely never seen it anyway.
  22. Re: D'Addario Micro Headstock vs Micro Clip Free tuners

I get your point, they're certainly not "classy." But suggesting that Clapton and Autry were less concerned with it kind of bypasses the fact that it's a tool that they didn't have available to them...
  23. Thread: Underrated?

by Caberguy
    Replies
    Views

Re: Underrated?

"Clickbait" has more to do with vague headlines that you have to click on to get content of little or no real substance than it does with giving you malware or viruses. It's designed to generate...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Don't really know what I'm doing on tenor banjo, just trying some tunes on it that I've been playing on mandolin, not transposing. This is in standard, not Irish tuning, and the strings are pretty...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Attack, pick and string gauge

Which is why no one has ever said it.

Raising action a bit on some instruments can have a positive effect on tone and volume.

Setting action so it "does not buzz anywhere" is a bit problematic,...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4