Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: New Bickford Mandocello Method

It's finally here. Not sure why I'm having trouble uploading the whole file itself to the board, so I just put it into 4 parts.

This is the Universal Clef version...
  2. Replies
    Views

Most Mandocellos at CMSA

Most mandocellos EVER?? Well, there were 25 of us in a 140 piece orchestra!
    The Solo Mandocello Worlshop was a success thanks to the contributing composers: August Watters who has published (online)...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: New Bickford Mando-cello Method

Good news to my fellow Mandocello enthusiasts. The first draft is just about done. Everything is entered and formatted to a point, now I’m doing the rough first run through for errors. It’s in...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Bickford Mandocello Method

As I said in another post, people working much harder on this than I am! Thanks for your dedication, John.
    As far as furthering the work, you should know that August Watters will be publishing a...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Bickford Mandocello Method

I want to thank everyone for reaching out. To let half a cat out of the bag, the reason why I’m collecting this is to reissue the original Mando-cello method (1913 copyright, it is in the public...
  6. Re: Complete recordings of Calace's works for liuto cantabile?

"Wonderful review, and thanks for the lead! Unfortunately, my Google Fu doesn't seem equal to the task of finding a link to actually purchase this CD anywhere."

As my review/posting indicates, you...
  7. Re: Complete recordings of Calace's works for liuto cantabile?

A selection of Calace's solo works for liuto was recorded by Fabio Giudice. I reviewed it in the May 2015 issue of the CMSA Mandolin Journal in my "Short Reviews" series. The review is reproduced...
  8. Replies
    Views

It's Mandocello time at CMSA

This year the CMSA Convention "MandoLincoln" in Normal Illinois will include some special experiences for those of us in the bass clef department (we'll even let you in if you transpose from...
  9. Replies
    Views

New five course mandocello

A five course mandocello (with added high e string). Carved sitka soundboard, Australian blackwood body and mahogany neck. 25" scale, 14" wide body, 3" deep and slightly deeper at the tail. CF...
  10. Re: New Piece for Octave Mandolin or Mandocello

Martin, thanks very much for these mandocello recordings. It's great to hear those low notes! I know just what you mean about that chord in the Saraband, I may end up changing that. You can hear that...
  11. Re: New Piece for Octave Mandolin or Mandocello

I had some fun with these tunes this evening. Here is how it sounds on my Suzuki MC-815 mandocello. None of them is particularly difficult, but some took a few more takes than others. The biggest...
  12. New Piece for Octave Mandolin or Mandocello

I just added this note as a reply to the Original Music for Solo Mandocello thread but then I realized that some Octave Mandolin players might not read that thread and they might be interested in...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Original music for SOLO Mandocello

I just posted a new piece for big mandolins at my So Many Tunes blog titled Winter Suite, February 2019. I was at least partly inspired by "Doc James" and his continuing advocacy for new Mandocello...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

I actually measured it with calipers when I had it, since I wanted to get one. I measured 1.4mm
  15. Re: So...what would you do with an octave mando?

I think you can do almost anything on an OM that you can do on a guitar. (Wow some of these videos are pretty old!)

Pretty good fit on bluegrass:
    QzCDc6cPW28

I think the 5ths tuning lends...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Hello all,

The bad news: Pick Sampler #1 has gone missing yet again. I was notified exactly 2 weeks ago that it was in the mail to me and should arrive in a few days but it hasn't shown up yet....
  17. Replies
    Views

western redcedar

I think it is probably true that no string instrument which has a top made from "cedar" actually does.

I live surrounded by western redcedars and I have a fascination with them. I've seen a...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Inquiry about Gilchrist Pricing

A correction is called for here. Not sure where that information came from but I knew as soon as I read it that it was not correct. I waited for someone to step in and set the record straight. Since...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: The end of my playing days.

Hi all - On Monday,i had 3.25 litres of fluid drained from around my right lung - twice what they thought i had. The procedure was ok,but the afterpain was off the scale. I now have to wait until Feb...
  20. Replies
    Views

Unusual 20” banjo style tenor

Quite a big sound as the top is actually quite a big piece of wood!
    It will be going to a DGBE player who wanted a steel string banjo with a wood top.
    It has a 14” diameter....
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: The end of my playing days.

I have the op. to drain the fluid around my right lung tomorrow which will be a big help. Right now i can hardly climb the stairs in my home without being totally out of breath. A biopsy sample will...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Old 12 string bowlback info

Looks like an Oscar Schmidt mandriola. You can see the “OS” on the pick guard.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Ol' Time Atonal

Great! Would love to hear everybody take solos! The John Cage piano solo was perfect! Thanks for posting this.
  24. Replies
    Views

Ol' Time Atonal

Mando kicks it off. Best banjo solo EVER.

(I searched "atonal" and didn't see this. Apologies if it's already posted somewhere.)...
  25. Thread: Condon

by Don Stiernberg
    Replies
    Views

Re: Condon

Having grown up listening to Condon recordings, still listening to this day, I'd like to say you have to look high and low, like a detective, to locate those few tracks where Eddie's rhythm guitar is...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4