Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Levon Helm

by journeybear
    Replies
    Views

Re: Levon Helm

I saw the news about today being the ninth anniversary of Levon Helm's passing, and rather than start a thread about him, thought I'd bump up one. This is it - lots of wonderful stuff in here. What a...
  2. Thread: Playing level

by Jess L.
    Replies
    Views

Re: Playing level

Hmm. Well... I'd say something like these...

Beginner:

Has difficulty making the notes sound clear/clean.
    Has problems with timing/rhythm.
    Doesn't feel quite at ease or comfortable with...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing the Mandolin with a Bow

No, but I saw Nigel Tufnel play an electric guitar with a violin...
  4. Thread: Electric Bass

by DavidKOS
    Replies
    Views

Re: Electric Bass

OK

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/jaco-solo-1978.jpg

Man, Jaco could play a real bass very well.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Lots of notes vs. defining the melody

I haven't shared the journey as I am at best a mediocre improviser, and spontaneous real time composition in public is never something I look forward to. Especially when the melody itself is often so...
  6. Re: Trading Blue Chip Picks - or anything else for that matter

Yes, there is safe way. For picks I wouldn't waste my time, but for instruments I would: you each purchase the other's item via PayPal. I buy your pick, you buy mine. The net is $0 (minus the fee...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: The Bluegrass F-holes

I read your thread title thinking that is an awesome band name! Way better than The Bluegrass A-holes!
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Best mandolin stand for the money

OT: Nice MusicMan! Bass & mandolin players, unite! :)
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Martin mandolins

If I was Chris Martin I'd build a nice little pancake out of HPL and own the low end American made market. It's not like they don't know that technology.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: The rust (and discouragement) forms so quickly

I do it for love as well. Entirely.

And over the years I have discovered how counter cultural that is.

It seems that a great many folks who play a musical instrument (and are not in school...
  11. Re: The rust (and discouragement) forms so quickly

Thanks for starting this thread, interesting topic.

In addition to the rust problem, some days are just bad days, and you are just off. Happens to me all to often, I just try to loosen up, play...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: New (to me) Idea on Learning by Ear

Who wouldn't long to be present, beside the crackling fire on Christmas eve, when Spufman busts out his theremin for a few rousing hours of Christmas carols?
  13. Re: Breedlove production moving to China -- Will Weber be next?

I suspect there is another kind of quality mindset behind these discussions, apart from material and physics. The music that is played mostly with these instruments is all about comforting local...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: How is the mandoconomy ?

I get paid in pies. Their deliciousness has not decreased.
  15. Thread: How to jam

by Dan Krhla
    Replies
    Views

Re: How to jam

Not just for guitar :

Derek Trucks’ 10 Commandments of Jam

http://alanpaul.net/2015/04/derek-trucks-10-commandments-of-jam/
  16. Re: String post doohickeys in the Classifieds

I don't see how this product would be of any benefit for me and I don't plan to put in an order.

I do admire the entrepreneurial spirit though. I think it is commendable that people still sit...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Yes' Chris Squire

In my earliest days as a budding bassist he was one of the keystones of my playing style. Him, McCartney, Geddy Lee, Jamerson. I learned from the best. Guys that made the bass part an integral part...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue Chip. lose it and see how it affects you

This is why I'll never loose another Blue Chip.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Afraid to play for others - advice?

There are so many layers to this subject. December of this year will mark 32 years I've been playing fiddle, and during those years I have at times been incredibly intimidated by other talented...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Perplexing harmony question

The II (two major, 2 major) is used in all kinds of music from classical, to hymns, to today's popular music. To say that here is no D major in the key of C is erroneous. To say that D major is not...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you justify MAS?

I, too, have a mate who is non-musical and does not understand my need to make music and own beautiful instruments. But it really is not too big of a problem. I don't really expect her to...
  22. Replies
    Views

I hear you. But sometimes the reason the left most black key of the three is F# because it is.

IOW, sometimes I am far more creative/inventive because I don't know or I have some contempt for some...
  23. Replies
    Views

A piano keyboard is a chord theory diagram, if you know the names of the keys. (piano keys not the tonic center)
    It still mystifies me why even in the key of C, (supposedly no sharps or flats) if...
  24. Thread: Age of realization

by Ddd
    Replies
    Views

Re: Age of realization

I want to thank all you for your valued input. I did not really start playing until three years ago. I must say that the mandolin saves my life everyday. I'm a vet of three wars with chronic...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Campfire & Outdoor Mando

Of course what's right for one isn't for another. Here's why I've enjoyed having a second mandolin; because I enjoy having mandolins. I bought my keeper eight years ago--no more looking for a...
Page 1 of 2 1 2