Search:

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: RSW's Jerry Rosa & The Mysterious Sam Bush Upside-Down Truss

He put the mandolin back into playing condition, but I believe (not having the instrument in hand but from some experience as restorer) the situation was such that much less invasive method could be...
  2. Re: RSW's Jerry Rosa & The Mysterious Sam Bush Upside-Down Truss

First, this video is just one of many where he displays basic misunderstanding of original construction. This is particularly true with vintage instruments. When people offer facts and correction,...
  3. Re: RSW's Jerry Rosa & The Mysterious Sam Bush Upside-Down Truss

Did you not see the twisting and bowing in the neck before any repairs were even attempted?

Did you not see the mandolin repair, neck straight and legit relief, and the customer happily playing it...
  4. Re: RSW's Jerry Rosa & The Mysterious Sam Bush Upside-Down Truss

He took a messed up expensive Gibson and made it playable again. Clearly, the neck was screwed up.

I don't see what all the negativity is about. Sure, his personality could be an aquired taste,...
  5. Replies
    Views

Garcia guitar Grisman mandolin

I like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QCJ9mflho8
  6. Re: Adam Steffey steps away from the business

The life of a traveling musician is like being a glorified traveling salesman. Set up your wares, put on the show, pack up your wares travel to the next town where you set up your wares, put on the...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: MAS: Doyle Lawson

For me, the name on the peg head don`t mean a lot as long as the mandolin plays and sounds like I want it to....There is a lot to be said for collecting old Gibson mandolins and speculating that they...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Why does my mandolin playing sound so bad?

My friend Ed Connors, a mandolin player for well over 70 years puts it this way. The guitar will give you something. On the mandolin you have to go in and take it. There is a learning curve but I...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Get Your 4 Year Degree in Bluegrass

Absolutely!

But who can afford 4 years of that, at $41,000 per year? Unless you're wealthy already, that education needs to pay for itself.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Get Your 4 Year Degree in Bluegrass

Just out of curiosity, why would anyone who posts on this forum be opposed to:

1) Young people choosing to undertake the serious pursuit of a musical tradition?

Or

2) An Appalachian...
  11. Re: Rate my Logic: Choosing the Chinese over the USA Mando

What I notice in very good players is that they check whether an instrument will do what they need. Then whether it does it in the way they like. Until the magic one drops into their hands, and all...
  12. Re: Rate my Logic: Choosing the Chinese over the USA Mando

Holds true for players looking to sound like the old blues guys on the guitar side. They played those instruments because that was all they could afford.
  13. Re: Rate my Logic: Choosing the Chinese over the USA Mando

Instruments are for playing. Buy the one that sounds the best to your ears that you can afford. People need to stop looking at the names on the label and headstock, and just judge an instrument on...
  14. Thread: Out of tune

by Teak
    Replies
    Views

Re: Out of tune

This has certainly turned into an interesting thread. :popcorn:
  15. Re: Lefty in a predominantly Right-handed World - Help appreciate

Sometimes I hate this forum. The OP didn't ask for help deciding to play left or right handed. That horse has been beaten to death but people in here are still taking swings. As a lefty who plays...
  16. Replies
    Views

Another New Band

OK, Rocky - this time for sure!

pc4IFIXcDcs

My duo, The Loons, has been playing for two years, off and on. More off than on, actually, as my partner, Luna, travels a lot. But she has grown more...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking at BlueChip picks.

I, for one, love the bevel. Calling it a "speed bevel" is a bit of a misnomer, however, because I don't think it actually leads to any higher playing speed. Instead, the shape of the bevel affects...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Thao Nguyen

Exactly the kind of comment that closes this discussion, but it's just one of several here. My reference to "dog whistle," and you all know damn good and well what I'm referring to, will end this....
  19. Replies
    Views

I agree that it is not necessary, usually useful, or very charitable either to make a negative or "put down" public comments about someone's musical abilities. Everyone can make that determination on...
  20. Replies
    Views

Define "mandolin fans." Is it a problem she doesn't sound like us??? Who is us? And my gawd, what a missed marketing opportunity appealing to a different segment than what is perceived is here.
  21. Replies
    Views

As usual you are correct Scott...I just don`t care for it...I am sure she is a very talented picker but it is just not my kind of music...If that makes me a bad person and people want to sling mud at...
  22. Re: My group singing "He's holding on to me" (Ron Block cover)

Thank y'all! I have some good peoples to play with for sure!
    This was the first song with half of the group, the bass, guitar and fiddle player are new additions(some
    temporary). Unfortunately the...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman Md615 or save up a little more?

Always buy the best quality that you can afford. It will then encourage you to work to keep up with it's potential. Eastman and Kentucky are good student quality and a step up from Michael Kelly...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman Md615 or save up a little more?

I am an Eastman loyalist, but putting that aside, I also have a general rule of thumb "don't buy the most expensive model of an economy brand expecting a financial return". The simple reason is that...
  25. some Afrikaans bluegrass?? - no mandolin content

My brother sent me this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfvSVWt3mLE&sns=em

It brings back memories of my youth growing up in South Africa. Real lekker.

Band is called Radio...
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4