Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Musty Smell in the case and mandolin.

This shouldn't be hard looking at your location. Find a hockey rink that has an ozone machine. They use them to clean hockey pads and such. Have them treat the case but not the instrument. That will...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: circa 1919 Gibson H1 Mandola questions

The Gibson pickguard side clamps show up regularly on the auction sites and Reverb, just keep your eyes open. Steven Gilchrist used to list an exact replica on his website for $180 but I just checked...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: circa 1919 Gibson H1 Mandola questions

This has NOT been my experience - I don't claim to be the last word on H model Gibsons, but have examined a few. I think it's safe to say that many have handled D'Addario EJ76s (or similar) for a...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Rough banjo tuners on a tenor guitar

A little late to the chat, I also wanted to give my thumbs-up to the banjo tuner look, and to good planetarys.

I put cheapo Eagle Music 4:1's on an electric tenor project, and three of the four...
  5. Replies
    Views

Stewmac will stand behind the Waverly tuners even if you don't have the box. I don't even think my Waverly banjo tuners came in a box. The guitar and mandolin tuners did.
  6. Replies
    Views

You could fit a spacer (brass or chrome washer) under the peg if you feel the post is to high but you will have to file down the little location pin on the peg base.
    You can use the box to put your...
  7. Replies
    Views

Yep.
    But just wanted to point out that the 5-star pegs don't come with a fifth peg in the set either. (Just wanted to avoid any confusion.)

I really like the look of those Waverlys too. I'd...
  8. Replies
    Views

I know what I would say but then again I'm weird.
  9. Replies
    Views

And for a few dollars more you can get Waverly banjo tuners from Stewmac.
  10. Replies
    Views

More pricey, but ... Stewmac have worked well for me.
  11. Replies
    Views

Yes you remove them by the nut on the front. I would put guitar tuners back on myself.
  12. Replies
    Views

Those look like modern, cheap imports, you can replace them with better quality ones.
  13. Replies
    Views

These are 4 to 1 banjo tuners, you could put 12 to 1 or 18 to 1 guitar tuners on, but I suspect the strings are binding in the nut. How smooth are the tuners with no tension? The screw on the end of...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: My Level of Incompetence

Fascinating! I love this kind of stuff. :mandosmiley: I'm not knowledgeable enough to qualify for word-nerd status, :) but word origins have always intrigued me. (Which reminds me, I still haven't...
  15. Re: Saga A style tolex mandolin case $30 closeout

I'm not really following the measurements that you would need, but here are a couple of pics that might give you the answers you're looking for
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: eBay buyer and goods not received

You can demand a refund for this, but if the seller is reasonable, I would give them a chance to resolve it on their end before making a formal complaint.

It takes around 8 days for UPS to...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: 1924 A2Z (?) questions

Gibson normally built in order numbers of 40:

http://archive.gibson.com/Files/downloads/bluebook/GibsonAcoustics.pdf

I do believe that they would all have been of a type, but I think that...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Case for a Flatiron 2MB

My best advice would be to contact builders who are still engaged in the noble art of producing pancakes. You might try Steve Smith of Redline Resophonics who sent out my Traveler in an Access Stage...
  19. Thread: string gauges

by fox
    Replies
    Views

Re: string gauges

I always aim for 20lb per string as a starting point but, some commercial sets offer higher tension on some strings and less on others... However I would not recommend going 25 lb on each string,...
  20. Thread: string gauges

by Jacob
    Replies
    Views

A few options:
    D'Addario
    Curt Mangan
    GHS
    John Pearse

Oops! These are for octave mandolin. My bad!
  21. Replies
    Views

Yes, the lighter set would be for CGDA tuning. I like to use a bit heavier bass strings for CGDA, eg 35/23/14/10. Switching to GDAE tuning with such a light gauge would cause intonation...
  22. Thread: string gauges

by fox
    Replies
    Views

One of my favourite subjects :)
    Firstly you do not mention the scale length of your guitar or the model?
    I don't believe there is going to be one set of strings that suits everyone however I would...
  23. Hangin' Dog by Nancy and Norman Blake - Work In Progress

Last week or so I finally got around to working out a transcription of Nancy's mando and Norman's guitar on Hangin' Dog as performed live in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I_hmwUMHzE
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Practicing Lightness

This might not be very practical advice but playing an instrument with very low string tension is a good test of your ability to play with a light touch. I first discovered this when I moved from...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Practicing Lightness

I agree; I have the same issue and I think it's because you don't break the link between the right and left hand. On the other hand, I've noticed over time I've been able to lighten up the fretting...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3