Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Guess I Will Be Banned

Just tell 'em that Tim O'Brien said it's okay... http://timobrien.net/sites/default/files/splash-hot-rize2.jpg?1277754699
  2. Re: Pancake kit with poor neck joint - Opinions & advice apprecia

Over my 50 years of building mandolins I have seen literally thousands of neck joints and have never seen one as sorry as this that was claimed to be usable. It is not difficult to cut a perfect neck...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in progress

Some people use a CNC for this job but I use a CNA. A cramped numb arm.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Need Some Encouragement

Hi Paula,

Don't be overly discouraged. Learning an instrument is not a straight-line proposition. You will have good days and bad days, but when you look back over a longer time-span, you will...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: New Northern Flyer

Hi,

To be honest I don't care for the pickguard, but the rest of it is just perfect. Well done.

Regards
  6. Re: pleasant surprise (offshoot of the Monteleone mandolins threa

You can spend $10K if you want to, but you can spend less and get just as much from many builders. In other words, I think it is better to use $10k as an upper price limit while shopping, but don't...
  7. Re: pleasant surprise (offshoot of the Monteleone mandolins threa

My conscience requires me to say: There are an awful lot of fantastic, master-quality mandolins in the $5000 range (maybe even lower). You could spend years with such mandolins without discovering...
  8. Replies
    Views

I just stained David Surette's new mandolin to look like an old Gibson pumpkin top. I photoshopped a Gibson for comparison. It still rough and hasn't been buffed yet. Max used a modern voicing...
  9. Re: Tailpiece weight-does more weight improve Tone, Volume & sust

Any time you see a claim of increased loudness and sustain, it's a suspect claim. Unless we increase the efficiency of the system (hint; it takes more than a simple tailpiece swap to do that) we...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: V-picks contest

Well, hell. I thought it was Friday. Surprise!

:))
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Suits in Bluegrass

Because it makes you look like a middle-aged lawyer or businessman. Which, if you're playing bluegrass, is who you're most likely to be.
  12. Replies
    Views

Bill Bussmann sent me pics of my almost-ready-to-deliver mando today. I could not be more pleased. Redwood top, mesquite back and sides, ironwood fretboard, turquoise inlay. I told my...
  13. Re: Bill Monroes F5, what kind of Spruce amd Maple was it?

It's not so much that Bill's instrument was exceptional in particular, but rather that he played one and everyone else decided to create a huge demand to sound like Bill. The same happened with Earl...
  14. Re: What makes a 'god of the contemporary mandolin world'?

When I built my second mandolin I was working for a company. That mandolin, and several after it, had the well known name of my employer inlaid in the peghead, not my name. They sold as fast as I...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Prices dropping on high end mandolins?

I am a professional musician, at the small festival and coffeehouse level. Ten years ago, after learning on a Teens beater Gibson A for 5 or 5 years, I purchased a Collings MT for $1650. Since then,...