Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Distressed Master Model ....question

I agree.
  2. Replies
    Views

I never play 4 finger chords, a 3 finger chord works great. I think actually gives a better chop, is moveable, and easier to play.
  3. Replies
    Views

Remember that everything is more expensive now than just 3-4 years ago. I remember trading an OM for a Collings MT and we valued our instruments at $1500 at the time…this was probably 2015 or 2016....
  4. Replies
    Views

Gibson's nomenclature leads to some confusion, as stated in previous posts. The DMM and Ricky Skaggs DMM models sold for well above $20K retail - equivalent to F-5 repros from the very top luthiers:...
  5. Replies
    Views

The ad sounds like a fishing trip. DMMs were in the mid-teens a few years ago, and I expect they would be pulling 20 +/- these days. I saw the ad for the Bill Monroe that rcc56 mentioned and was...
  6. Replies
    Views

Just my observation during the last c. ten years. DMMs are rare, especially out side the US. To convince that said gentleman on the market, here's a (non distressed) MM at 32k (AUS):...
  7. Replies
    Views

Some "want to buy" posters are bargain hunters, some are not.

If I'm not mistaken, all of Gibson's DMM mandolins were premium models, i.e. near the very top of the line.

And it seems that right...
  8. Replies
    Views

Just my opinion, but a broad range here, depending on originality and sound, should be 13.5K to 17.5K.
  9. Re: Why not a domestic, hand built instrument instead?

Priorities.
    I remember well, a mandolin player friend said: "I'd like to have one of your mandolins but I can't afford one", just before driving off in his 4-door American made pickup truck to go...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Why not a domestic, hand built instrument instead?

I guess the secret is to find amazing domestic independent luthiers in that sweet spot, soon after the skills are developed with the proven ability to make some great instruments, and just before...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Valuing a Gibson by Dr Lori

She needs to have her appraiser certification revoked and needs to go back to selling used cars.
  12. Re: So what is the "real" value of a Loar in today's world?

This entire subject is just part of shifting priorities, the influence of the internet, and many other factors.

At one point great Loars were bringing $225K and $250k. But this was the same...