Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin in bal folk music?

GC is the main setup in France except maybe in Britany as most of there bagpipes and bombardes are mostly in Bb. You see mostly diatonic accordions in French traditional music has it is settled for...
  2. Replies
    Views

Well, you can get a bouzouki but can also find your own way. By this, I mean that innovation in traditional music is possible (my experience is that trying to be the most authentic is concern mainly...
  3. Replies
    Views

"Bal folk" does not refer to a specific area in France and thus to a specific repertoire. In Brittany, they would more talk about Fest Noz.

The only area in France where mandolin could have a...
  4. Re: Grappelli style harmonics in swing jazz?

Distel is Ray Ventura's nephew. His uncle had a great role in launching jazz in France and led a band which included Henri Salvador who said he has taught his first chords to Sacha before seing the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Ibanez 511 (1976 catalogue)

I have won several of these 70s mandolines and yes, their scale is short than the Gibson's standard.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Info on Eastman 304 or 504 oval holes

I own an Eastman MD-404 and I have tried several X04 and X14 models. The sound is rather different than with a f hole mandolin which is - to my hears - more mid focussed and nasal with less overtones...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Talk

I use Wegen M200 on an oval soundhole mandolin but I also use TF140 when I play f hole one as far as sound is concerned.
  8. Re: Your favourite manufacturer offers you a signature model

A 3 point Gibson F-4 with spruce top and figured walnut back and sides, natural finish.
  9. Re: Monel strings - what to do, what to do?

I use them on both round and f hole mandolins at the moment but the oval hole is the instrument for which it is the usual setup.
  10. Re: Laberte et Magnié mandolin of uncertain vintage

According to the look of the tuners and my experience with Mirecourt instruments, it dates back to post WWII area.
  11. Re: What's are some good guitar soundhole pickups?

I shortly had an Fishman Rare Earth before switching to K&K on my guitar. If in a (not acoustic oriented) band, it can be okay but for otherwise, the sound remains quite electric especially while...
  12. Re: What strings are you currently playing?

Currently EJ74 on all my mandolins but I plan coming back to flatwound on one of my Ibanez 513 which first came with TI.