Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Playing longer scale mandos gets progressively more impossibl

I tend to use the longer scale instruments for different purposes. Almost always, I'm playing in a setting where there are other instruments to carry rhythm - usually an acoustic guitar. On the...
  2. Thread: Mandola?

by trabb
    Replies
    Views

Re: Mandola?

Late to the conversation, but I'd actually say quite the opposite - playing another mandolin family instrument (in my case, mandola and then mandocello) made me a much better mandolin player. When I...
  3. Thread: Sheet music

by trabb
    Replies
    Views

Re: Sheet music

Depends in part what kind of music you want to play. thesession.org has kept me happy for months with basic notation for fiddle tunes and some Celtic stuff.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Music stores mid-south Va through northern NC

Harry and Jeannie West in Statesville had a few vintage Gibsons last time I was in. They also have a full lineup of Kentuckys and Eastmans. Assuming you're coming in on I-77, they'd be about six...
  5. Re: Odered a KM 950 from Amazon....guess what happened

Amazing how you get that, yet when I order a $5.99 3-pack of picks I get a giant box filled with packing materials.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: If you had a blank room...

Surely such a room would require at least one new mandolin.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Olympic Mandolin player

Scroll to the bottom of this page and take a listen. http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/who-is-lowell-bailey-olympic-biathlon-team-usa
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

Easy to miss with all the beautiful pictures. On the previous page, Northfield says that it's not a flight case.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Lessons learned from Carter's and Gruhn's

Well - it was the lowest price of what I played. Better than many of the others. Nothing I couldn't live without, and yes - I know looks have little to do with tone, but i do sometimes look down...
  10. Replies
    Views

Lessons learned from Carter's and Gruhn's

I had the chance to visit both Carter's vintage and Gruhn's Guitars in Nashville yesterday. Both are pretty amazing places. My main goal was to play some stuff in the $2000ish range to see if it's...
  11. Re: I just Googled "Best Mandolin". Amazing results...

I am just pleased to see that my mandolin made the list. Seriously rethinking now the wisdom of replacing the Kentucky km140 if it's a top 20 in the world.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Best A Style around $2,000?

Nothing to add, but this thread is making me wonder at what point to quit saving. Everything mentioned here sounds great and is just a bit more than the 1200 I have. I also know that when I've...
  13. Thread: Mandos at work

by trabb
    Replies
    Views

Mandos at work

A few months back I decided I had too many instruments at home, so the mandola came with me to work. I figured I could use breaks to work on scales, chords, learning the mandola fingerboard, etc. ...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: it's weird going back to guitar now -

I have found that my bandmates are not especially understanding when I explain "but that WAS a G chord - just that it was the mandolin G shape and that doesn't work so well on guitar."
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Tailpiece question

Well this lurker appreciated it. I've been reading here for three years and have completely missed all the discussions of these tailpieces. I learned something from this thread.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: What makes an Air?

There seem to be two different things going on in this thread -what is an air and how might offer play "canticle of the turning in a church setting?" I'm of no help on the first but this video is...
  17. Re: Finding whats appropriate and what's the balance?

I think you're limited only by your own creativity and what's appropriate. It also depends a lot on the song. For CCM, mandolin can be fantastic for adding to the dynamics of a song. A lot seem to...
  18. Re: So, I'm new here... and pretty new to the Mandolin

I also play at church primarily. Best advice I'd have is not to lock on to one style. Unless your church is very different than most, you're likely not going to play bluegrass - but some bluegrass...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Pickguard or no pickgaurd?

After two hours of trying to make the buzzing coming from the pickguard on my first mandolin stop, I gave up and took it off. None of my other mandolin family instruments came with them, and I see...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: I'm a newb's newb

Echoing this, I'll offer you the single most important piece of advice that I can imagine for any new mandolin player. As you're learning to play, remember that you sound better playing that...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Well-Known US Music With CBOM

That first one suggests to me the importance of confidence. While I like his vocals, they're not exactly what I'd call beautiful. They appeal to me more in the way that Bob Dylan or Tom Waits...
  22. Thread: New Mandolin

by trabb
    Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin

Resist the temptation to think of it as a mini guitar with the top four strings in reverse order:)
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Gold Tone mandocello

Unless there's more than one such site in Effingham, that's a fantastic shop. Stopped in last Christmas and was pretty blown away by the inventory given what I expected to find.
  24. Thread: Mid life crisis

by trabb
    Replies
    Views

Re: Mid life crisis

Couple of reasons. I don't usually feel the need for "the best" of whatever instrument, and there seem to be some reasonably good OMs at reasonable prices. The same doesn't seem to be true for...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin owner

Keep in mind too that picks that sounds great on one instrument may sound terrible on another. The Dunlop primetones that I love for my mandolin are the worst thing I've found for my mandola.
Page 1 of 2 1 2