Search:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Ugly Gibson mandolin in the classifieds

Yeah, I have a thing for fixing up old Gibson's, giving them their dignity back.. but, I think this one may be too far gone.. ouch.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Lloyd Loar Mandolins

Well said. I have been trying to get this across for years. Folks don't always understand the difference between a good sounding mandolin and money. Never in a million years would I attest that there...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F-4 with neck repair

If I wanted an F4, and wasn't concerned about resell, I would buy that for the 2K range. Any competent repairman can fix the heel crack no problem. It will scare potential buyers, but, if you want to...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Generations of Loars

This is quite a complex question, and, there are no solid rules to apply, but, I will give my interpretation. First, sound is very subjective, so, my ears may not hear what you hear. Also, I will...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: The search continues...

I like the Gilchrist mandolin at Gruhn's. The 2008 model, I think it is. Sidebound like Bill's, pretty cool.
  6. Replies
    Views

Ha! I'd never take that bet!
  7. Replies
    Views

Very very true. he was a player first, and, as Hendrik once said so well, he must have had an active hand in quality control, because, even though the same guys are building..theoretically, the...
  8. Replies
    Views

One thing I don't mean to imply is that Loar signed F5's are simply the best mandolins in the world to Everyone. Sound, etc is very subjective, and we all have opinions. I do mean to say they all...
  9. Replies
    Views

These are interesting points, but, I think they are perhaps backwards. Monroe chose that F5 in the barbershop window because it was superior to other mandolins he had access to. In turn, that sound...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: What sounds like a Loar?

Probably...
    Just on another tack, it's always interesting to me how they got it so right, right out of the gate.
    Another whole topic!
  11. Replies
    Views

Yeah, I am not suggesting that the Loars are magical or anything.. I believe builders today are more than capable of constructing a mandolin that is probably superior, ( but does not have that...
  12. Replies
    Views

Just a gentle reiteration... what did he sell?? The Loar?? No, because nothing really sounds like them.
    sorry, that's just how it is, I sincerely believe it's the age, it changes the wood on a...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: The search continues...

Smart move.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Correct '24 Snakehead Bridge

Well, could be, just relating my experience. To me, after they go to the adjustable bridge.. would they keep the non adjustables? Perhaps using old stock??
    I see the archive shows both examples.
  15. Replies
    Views

"

I completely believe this. They all "sound" like Loars. The "sound" of various Loars has less individual variation than their "feel". If you were to play each instrument, yourself,...
  16. Replies
    Views

This quote has the most merit I've seen in a long time. I have a long and constant exposure to Loars over the last 20 years, and, fact is, they do sound the same. At the VERY least, a lot more...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Gilchrist Mandolins, is there a best year?

If I had to take a shot at what I think... I would prefer the newer ones. More focused, more mid range.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Gilchrist Mandolins, is there a best year?

I personally believe Steve is the best luthier in regards to mandolins... and their restoration.. alive today. That pretty much says it all for me. And one of the best guys on the planet to work...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe Videos

Bill sounds just like Bill on the shiny mandolin....
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: 1970 Paganoni

Boy, that's a nice looking package. The case is particularly nice!
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar signed A5's

I know Tom.. probably at the same time period it was offered to me as well. After I picked myself up, I passed.
    One thing about it.. to me.. I wished it had been better taken care of. The pickguard...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Left handed Gibson

To me, the scroll on that mandolin just doesn't look Gibson. The scroll on the Opry Mills example is very different, and looks totally genuine to me.
    Maybe I'm entirely wrong, but they look quite...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Original cases

Exactly. 'Nuff said.
  24. Re: Oval hole Gibson Mandola ~1910 (?) "action" photograph!

Yep, an H2.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Special Ellis w/Torch and Wire

I've never owned an Ellis, and probably never will, but, I think the price is really fair for this level of craftsmanship. It just doesn't really seem out of line at all, considering how much work...
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4