Search:

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Jacob Joliff Band Live in Speigletown NY

Caught the Jacob Joliff Band, George Jackson, Myles Sloniker, Ross Martin and Jacob at a small venue in upstate NY where we have our monthly Bluegrass jams.
    I had not heard Jake sing before this...
  2. Replies
    Views

Playing mandolins with a mandolin

I was playing a mandolin very near another mandolin hanging on a stand, and I thought I heard a harmonic response from the mandolin on the stand, so as an experiment I thought I would try a quick...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Batwing from a bat cave

I picked one up too off of reverb, for 450ish, was a few years ago. I really was just looking for a mandolin to leave at the office, I'll be honest it looks cool, but it has yet to capture my heart,...
  4. Re: What breaks or solos have you learned note for note?

Joe Walsh's Mandolin Jazz course teaches the classic solos, Django on "Minor Swing", I think Lester Young on "Lady be Good" I haven't really gotten very far with it because its very heady for me.
    It...
  5. Re: Chord Tones, Intervals, and Scales Flash Cards (or app)

Like Doug and Aaron said, the more you play chords and think of them as stacked intervals and then think about the intervals between chords changes, you will soon become comfortable with various...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

The Lament for Artie Declan by Donal Lunny, played here on mandolin ensemble including a Collings F5, Rigel G110, Macica F5, Gibson f4, Gibson A1, Weber and Gibson mandolas, Weber and Northfield...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Why do you play electric?

Crazyquilt very cool stuff, that is a 5 string tuned CGDAE?
  8. Replies
    Views

I suppose I should learn to use an expression pedal, as I have intentions on producing some formalized electronic pieces.
    I've become a sucker for chorus on electric, that Adrien Belew era King...
  9. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

I understand the concern but to attempt to block or deny a tool / technology is a 2 edged sword.
    I suppose people may have said the same thing about the electronic synthesizer, (or even the wax...
  10. Replies
    Views

I haven't moved to single string electrics yet, still preferring coursed electrics, I do have all 4: mandolin mandola, octave and mandocello electric.
    I was looking at some higher end electrics...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: How to combat memorization tendencies?

I think most of us have been there, and to me it is just a matter of familiarity.

Over thinking is usually the culprit, but in order to avoid overthinking one must be very comfortable and...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Ostroushko

finally learned this deep cut from Minnesota a History of the Land, "Swede Hollow Lament" performed here on a 2022 Northfield Archtop Octave, a 1920 Gibson F4 and a 1917 Gibson A1. I tried the melody...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday Doc Watson

Bluegrass Life posted this on Facebook, and now that I know Doc has held a mandolin in his hands, I am assured it is a sacred instrument.

14. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandola Day - Northfield Quickstep

I did play one of the demo models, I thought it was first rate! Congratulations!
  15. Replies
    Views

I have a G110, I 've had it since about 2005, I 've had offers on it even though I am not selling it, and I am not selling it. I almost bought the CT110 there was one right next to it but this one...
  16. Replies
    Views

Most Excellent
    is that a Rigel ?
  17. Re: Looking for a good mid-level octave mandolin..

well, that's it, no hope for you now. There are support groups for this in most areas of the country, but in the end we just wind up encouraging each other to go ahead and make that purchase, heck...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: recently discovered Loar K5 ?

Here is a Bayard 26 inch based on the 24 Loar K5, really nice tone on this
    I'll admit 26 inches scares me a little

bkuAmpKIQ9U
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Norman Blake is 86

My son shares a Birthday with him, but that was not intentional on my part ( or was it?).

So happy to hear professional performers talking about Norman and playing his music at shows. He is...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Franks' Mandolin Kitchen

Gee Frank,
    now I feel like my woman done left me, my friends don't talk to me, my dog won't even let me pet him, lost my job, and spent my last handful of change on a bottle of cheap bourbon I...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello as an octave?

I know Matt Flinner has a 24-25 inch scale octave, which is about the same as a Mandocello. I imagine tone would be good, it may be quieter than as a mandocello.
    Maybe 15 years ago octave mandolins...
  22. Replies
    Views

recently discovered Loar K5 ?

I am already thinking of the atrocities I would commit to get my hands on that Loar

GXYG0Y12bNM
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Franks' Mandolin Kitchen

Don't kid yourself Frank, you are that cool!
    As proven in this video
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Birdland Breakdown

I really like this groovy version from Wintergrass 2024, played at human speed!

GZeW7HJL2ss
  25. Re: How do YOU play the C section of Jerusalem Ridge?

I am bringing my index finger to the 5th fret of the E string and then the middle finger on the 7th of the A ( so making a double stop), go back and forth between the two strings
    then walk up from...
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4