Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Caterina Lichtenberg's Artistwork's Course

I went back and looked!

She does indeed teach reading. (As an accomplished reader, I skipped over most of it.) The reading exercises are simple, naturally, likely designed for a person who is...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: James Tailpiece on Eastman MD 515?

Unless something drastic has changed It's not a hole for hole switch.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: 3-Part Chris Thile Master Class online

Chris replied on his Instagram that each class would be archived for 30 days after.

Thanks MC for the heads up, I am excited for it!
  4. Replies
    Views

Andy Statman recovering

https://forward.com/culture/442716/klezmer-virtuoso-andy-statman-recovering-from-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR3qoIfnrNDaaMmM2CZx-fuxsYJGxSNa_wNvqyJkaLmnOOpGCI49bWcYQIY
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Boston/Cambridge Music Stores?

If you want to see mandolins, I don't think there's anything much in Boston or Cambridge anymore. The Music Emporium, somewhat west of Cambridge in Lexington is fabulous but I wouldn't call it...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman El Rey Video Review

I'm going to jump back in real quick and answer a few more things.

First of all Jim DeSalvo: Here's a longer video that just consists of the mandolin being played:

7. Replies
    Views

Re: Article: Andy Statman Rides the Monroe Bus

I have heard the entire album and I think it's right up there with his debut album "Flatbush Waltz". If some of you newbies have been thinking of boarding "The Statman Bus" now would be a great time...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Whither the Compton/Blake record?

Thanks for your interest in the CD, everyone. I have to admit I've dragged my heels on getting this out for a long time. But it's finally put together and done. Heidi and I are looking at 'official'...
  9. Replies
    Views

Avi Avital Recital on Prime.

Was cruising Prime tonight and found this. FYI for those interested.
  10. Replies
    Views

In Praise of Mediocrity (?)

Recently, people were discussing the pursuit of mandolin "brilliance" on another thread. I'd said that one of the joys of taking up mandolin in my 60's was that I didn't have to aim for excellence;...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Dirk Powell and Tim O'Brien

One important thing about playing Oldtime as opposed to Bluegrass is the backup playing. Notice Carl's and Caleb's use of two and three finger chord shapes and letting the chords ring. That is quite...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Dirk Powell and Tim O'Brien

Some of it has to do with tune selection but I would listen to people like Carl Jones.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sQrJVyxju0

Also check out Adam Tanner........
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Robot Mandolin Player

What kind of pick was it using?
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Robot Mandolin Player

That's crazy! And cool! And not really playing a mandolin. More of a harp made out of a mandolin. The string spacing at the bridge has been changed so that each string can be plucked independently....
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Reruns from there

While I do not share your critical opinion of the show I do respect it with exception to the comment "throwing his mentor under the bus".
    I think most people would agree that Thile had nothing to...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Repositioning Bridge

It’s quite easy, even I can manage.

Get the bridge roughly where you think it should be; so that the 12th fret is halfway between the nut and bridge. That’s not the correct position but close...
  17. Re: Listening Recommendations, American Primitive

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Vintage-Mandolin-Music-1927-1946-Rags-Breakdowns-Stomps-Blues/release/5321465
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap peg keeps popping out

Wrap the endpin with some painters tape until you get a snug fit.
    Non-marring, non-permanent. You probably already have some on hand.
  19. Re: Columbus Ohio -- setup, shop, recommendations

The Blugrass Musician's Supply (the name on the sign) is a great store for guitars, banjos, and mandos, plus all your gear, books, and recorded music. Not only that, they have a Saturday jam in the...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Replacement Tailpiece Covers?

Although they look alike, there are a myriad of minute variables that might make different covers just different enough to not fit. You won't know until you try to put it on. I would either go to the...
  21. Thread: why is it?

by Seter
    Replies
    Views

Re: why is it?

Hora flat-top mandolins sold via Thomann are solid woods, and under 200$ including shipping from Germany. There are actually quite a few different affordable solid wood mandolin options via Thomann...
  22. Re: Article: Northfield Introduces Three New Michigan-Made Instru

Showroom: Absolutely - and both the Calhoun and Octaves are in stock and available. Give us a call at 877-367-7304 and make an appointment to come by and check them out.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin on the Oscars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgO3TbjFiuY

For anyone that missed it.
  24. Thread: Blind Blake

by Ranald
    Replies
    Views

Re: Blind Blake

Thanks, Fatt-Dad, but "Blind Arthur's Breakdown" has been "removed for copyright reasons" in Canada. I'm sure I can find it elsewhere.

However, here are Blind Blake interpretations on mandolin...
  25. Replies
    Views

People Get Ready (Curtis Mayfield cover)

Here is a fun version of Curtis Mayfield's "People Get Ready". Mandolin, upright bass, piano, fiddle and drums. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u6oc_HW95o
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3