Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

It can be tough to make sense of it all. But the idea that you have to play something perfectly without mistakes before moving on is a bit of a fallacy. I doubt many people can play things perfectly....
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

Zen, breathing, all that. It’s easy to say “relax” but difficult to practice it.

I’m no fireball either; also, not wise nor greatly experienced, but I agree with what “they” say about relaxing....
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Two Stellar Northfields At Dusty Strings

Maybe it’s time to lay off going into every thread that contains the word Northfield and questioning or pointing out where they are made and what tier they are in as you seem ignorant on the issue....
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Found at antique store.

You never know what you'll find in an antique store…I was in an antique store in NC a number of years ago, and in the back of the store there was a cheapo mandolin in a case on a table. I looked in...
  5. Re: String gauges needed to tune mandolin to E like Yank.

I use this string guage calculator. basic idea: enter your scale length (from nut to bridge sadle), enter your desired tuning, then crank the string guage up and down to get the string tension to...
  6. RECOVERED Re: Stolen Gibson F-4 Mandolin Serial #66824

My lost 1922 Gibson F4 mandolin has been found, here is the story…

Last week I received an email correspondence, through my website, from a operations supervisor of a retailers distribution...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Studying Sam Bush

Let's not forget this tour-de-force project by two legends. The production and performances are so exquisitely perfect. Many of the tunes are great for slowing down and learning. Hartford's Real is...
  8. Replies
    Views

Studying Sam Bush

I've been thinking that I'd love to spend some time studying Sam's playing more in 2024. Aside from just listening and trying to work out some of the things he does, are there any good resources out...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Arpeggios

The Grisman arpeggios and many others are housed in the TablEdit Library here.

And why that resource is housed on the Cafe and received a massive update and new and improved programming and search...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Shopelderlys

I looked at it. It's 100% bogus. The navigation scheme makes absolutely no sense which suggests these are created by a crawler that scrapes and organizes the links but doesn't get it anywhere near...
  11. Re: Pop-leaning folk/newgrass in the "old" Nickel Creek style

Another band that broke up, but their music still hits was Milkdrive out of Austin.

vqezn1XLkHA
  12. Cajun Stomp (by Mark Schatz) on solo mandola

One of the things I love most about traditional music is the way that tunes naturally evolve over time and space because of the aural nature of how the tunes are passed on. Cajun Stomp is a tune...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman factory video by Dolphin Guitars

Neck Angle, Installation and Details

One of the most peculiar things about an original Loar mandolin is the manner in which the necks were installed. Most builders do not recognize that the neck...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman factory video by Dolphin Guitars

The original thread from 2002 is probably long gone so here is what I have: (some information here may be outdated as our knowlege is larger every day)
    text by Darryl Wolfe.

Construction of the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Harmony mini strat to mandola/tenor

It's a bolt on neck so easy to put a shim under and change the angle for better action. The tailpiece is also height adjustable on each string. You could remove a tuner and have a 5 string making it...
  16. Replies
    Views

I got a mini telecaster kit from stew-mac during covid lockdown. I ended up using New Standard Guitar-like tuning (Robert Fripp tuning). It ended up being strung as: low to high FCGDAC. It was not...
  17. Replies
    Views

Well, removing the neck and replacing it with a tenor or mandola neck would be good, although I don't know where you could get one. But they can be made:)

I'd also move the pickup closer to the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Pick Sampler #1 update

Hi all - I’ve been enjoying Pick Sampler #1. Tried to send the following attachments to Mark via the private messaging function, but it seems to only allow attachments from URLs.

I reorganized...
  19. Re: map of acoustic instrument dealers worth a visit

Hi Scott, yes, same idea just with retail stores instead of camps. Let me know if my link above is not working.
    hmm, not sure why I can't edit post #2, but would like to add that fiddle heavy shops...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone Never Get Past the 'Speed Plateau'?

Always remember, a musician is only playing fast those tunes he is able to play fast, after years of playing or focused practice or more likely both. Point is, the musician is not playing the tunes...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Currently nerding out with sampler #1. Learning a lot about which picks I like. I’ve got it down to about 5 favorites. I expected to want a CT Blue Chip after this but I’ve figured out I prefer a...
  22. Replies
    Views

Farewell Trion

I recently uploaded a couple of videos of this tune to YouTube. Here's a link to my solo mandola version. Thanks for listening!

https://youtu.be/Rz0_MFzcFIQ
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing with too much tension.

Jim, this is the only thing that helps me: Consciously working on the things David mentions during *practice*. It’s not the kind of thing I could develop on the fly, under pressure, performing. But...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Updated Lists

Sampler 1

John Garcia - Current holder
    Zissou Intern
    mandognome
    JonDoug
    Denis Kearns
    NDO
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Help identify this wood

is it some sort of Palo Escrito?