Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: How to combat memorization tendencies?

When you practice do you stop and “correct” any clams you play? DON’T DO THAT! If you stop when you practice you’ll train yourself to stop when you play. Play through your errors, keeping the feel of...
  2. Replies
    Views

How to pack an instrument for shipping

Tony Williamson put this video together for a seller who had no experience shipping a valuable instrument. We thought it was well done and had great information that it should be available to all for...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Has anyone played in Ireland Jam Sessions?

Read and re-read Jill's response (#19) and Beanzy's (#21). Enda Scahill has some mandolin material on his site that you might want to check out.
    Have fun with it and enjoy your trip!
  4. Replies
    Views

From that list I'd probably only bother with;

Donnybrook fair
    Banish misfortune
    Fig for a kiss
    Foxhunter's
    Going to the well for water
    Ballydesmond polka
    Toss the feathers
    King of the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

Busy weekend. I've been taking note of everyone's excellent advice, but haven't had a chance to weigh in.

I'm in a learning environment, so there are mixed abilities among all the instruments,...
  6. Replies
    Views

I want to urge the OP to read carefully Jill's post #17 in this thread. It is very well organized, well-written and full of good advice from someone who has been playing traditional Irish music and...
  7. Replies
    Views

There are definitely loads of tunes that everyone knows but I agree with Joe Robinson- the tunes played at sessions are typically pretty specialized to that pub and players.
  8. Replies
    Views

Welcome!
    One bit of helpful advice: when in Ireland don't ever call a tune a song, unless it is.
    Have fun! :)
  9. Replies
    Views

Mrs Jamieson's Favourite

This is a lovely Scottish slow air composed by Charles Grant, a 19th Century fiddler and composer from Morayshire.

My version is on octave, mandolin and guitar and based on an arrangement got from...
  10. Replies
    Views

The Queen's Welcome to Invercauld

This is a James Scott Skinner fiddle composition I have adapted to octave mandolin and guitar. The Queen in the title is Victoria, not the recently departed Elizabeth, who passed away very near to...
  11. Replies
    Views

The Nomad (mandola duet)

Here's a tune I picked up from the guitar playing of Dónal Clancy on his album Close to Home. I decided to play the tune in D minor on the mandola and overdub an accompaniment part (also with the...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Good picks for beginner

While I heartily agree, too stiff or too floppy picks won’t help with either of those. Gear is important, so setup is paramount. Then finding what works in your hands is the task, and that may...
  13. Re: "Mandolin Players In Ireland" Social Group

Hey Aidan,

I just made a video of those jigs I did for you all those years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjWxcbB-QBU
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Place to Look for Used Collings

We could public name over a dozen people on Facebook marketplace that will take you to the cleaners so to speak in a heartbeat and have been permanently banned from this site for engaging in that...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Place to Look for Used Collings

There are 23 used Collings mandolins for sale in the Classifieds this moment. I know some people freak out if you say use Advanced Search, but entering Collings in the search field here and asking it...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: New OM on order

Happy to announce that my OM is complete. Here's the builder himself with a video he created a week before sending it across the pond -- certainly putting the instrument to better advantage than I...
  17. Re: '81 Flatiron pancake - Anyone ever seen one of these?

Over the years there have been a few, they weren't made in large numbers. A quick scan got me these. There are more, some that were natural. They didn't make a lot of them but over the years they...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin tattoos

Here's my new one :)
    Love it!
  19. Re: Ordered a Northfield F5S, Received a Big Mon Wide Nut by Mist

Hi guys,

I’m keeping it. I’m working it out with the vendor and it will end up being a pretty sweet deal.

Just so you know, after they contacted me earlier in the week, they said that their...
  20. Re: Ordered a Northfield F5S, Received a Big Mon Wide Nut by Mist

I am going to order a Rogue with hopes they send me a Gilchrist
  21. The Kindness of Strangers - Aidan Crossey

As some will know, Aidan Crossey has had some major health issues recently. Today he was taken into hospital for tests and possible surgery. (Not confidential information - he announced it on the...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: The Humours of Glynn

Here we go…backup track is me on mandolin.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=212028&d=1707334206
  23. Re: Ordered a Northfield F5S, Received a Big Mon Wide Nut by Mist

This is the cutting edge of sales these days. When someone orders something you send them the more expensive item “by mistake”.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Place to Shop For Mandolins

This may seem a little harsh although I don’t mean it to be. You’ve gotten excellent advice so far. Your original post was nearly 7 weeks ago and you have yet to acquire a mandolin. Time to fish...
  25. Replies
    Views

Dagger Gordon plays Ae Fond Kiss

This is Robert Burns's famous song Ae Fond Kiss, which I was working on for Burns Night recently.

It is played on my Stefan Sobell octave mandolin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCRrR8j58ZA
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4