Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Essay on Mandolin Orchestras

Many mandolin orchestras also play some world music, as there have been plectrum ensembles in many cultures....balalaika & domra, tamburitza, filipino rondala, etc.
    And RAGTIME sounds especially...
  2. Re: Free Mandolin Orchestra/Ensemble music by John Goodin, update

SMITTEN is one of my all time favorites, but there are so many great tunes...Thank you, John!!!
  3. Re: Sebastian de Grebber, Dutch Mandolin Chamber Orchestra

I wanted to add that, not only is Sebastian a phenomenal player and performer, he is also a wonderfully down to earth and nice human being. We were thrilled to talk to him at CMSA this year. Truly a...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Remembering Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni

I wish I could say thanks again. I've never met Evelyn, but I enjoyed the music she shared here, and then I went on to buy 3 of her books off Amazon. I've shared her music with students, and my...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello Specific Techniques

As a bowed cellist/bassist, I have used MUCH of that technique on my mandocello. #3, flattening fingers has not been a bad issue for me; many of us do it occasionally even on the bowed instruments,...
  6. Re: 2018 Convention of the Classical Mandolin Society of America

Seriously, is the next convention in Bloomington? I MIGHT be able to make that one! Keep us posted....
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandola to Viola

As a studio strings teacher who also taught school strings, work on the bow and BE PATIENT! I tell all my beginning adult students to be a like a 10 year old...yes, you will squeak and make scratchy...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: "Family" addition, from the Larsons

WOW!!! Severe MANDO-ENVY as I am also a bassist......ENJOY that beautiful instrument and send newer pics when you can!!!!
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: My prim tamburitza arrived

Another good place for tamburitza strings is Deligo Picks http://www.deligopicks.com/
    Fast and they can answer questions.....Not that I'm an expert, but tamburas are a bit different than mandos. I...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Music for mandola

Check out some of the free music sites www.8notes.com/viola/ so you can try out some easy tunes reading alto clef. It really isn't so bad once you get used to it, but learning it with the easy...
  11. R.I.P. Allen Richmond, Dayton Mandolin Orchestra

I wanted to let folks know that the founder of the revived Dayton Mandolin Orchestra, (Tony) Allen Richmond, has passed. Truthfully, many of us lost touch with him when he left the orchestra, so we...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: From viola to Mandola

I made the transition from bowed cello to mandocello several years ago and STILL use a lot of my bowed cello music. I found the transfer pretty easy as far as the LH was concerned; yep, the plectrum...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello Enlightenment Needed!

As a cellist as well as a mandocellist, starting with a cello instructor would be fine; I use my cello studies etc. all the time. Once you feel pretty comfy with the fingering system, shifting, etc....
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Bulgarian Tambura

Don't know who on here reads music or learns by ear, but if you're doing the Bulgarian stuff, I recommend BY EAR. I'm classically trained, so the first time I prepared for camp I tried to do it all...
  15. Replies
    Views

This is (hopefully) me with my bulgarian tambura at the EEFC Balkan Music Camp in NY several years ago.
  16. Replies
    Views

I have both a Bulgarian tambura and a Macedonian one; I also play tamburitza instruments (which is what Ollaimh has). You might want to hook up with the Eastern European Folklife Center...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Wishnevsky shop fire

I wish someone would put this on the HOME page. I think it is THAT important. Steve was making AFFORDABLE mandocellos as well as guitars and basses.
    He is a strong person and will probably bounce...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: new mandolin orchestra

I second Jim; the materials are NOT the problem, nor your knowledge. We have TRIED to get something going here in Columbus Ohio on and off for probably 10 years. The Dayton Mandolin Orchestra has...
  19. Thread: Domra

by violmando
    Replies
    Views

Re: Domra

I play tamburica music, in addition to mandolin, and tremolo on single strings is much more difficult for me. It IS a different technique, but I have found that my technique has IMPROVED since...
  20. Re: Acoustic Bassist wanted for New York Mandolin Ensemble

Not sure why, but finding acoustic bassists who read is sometimes a problem. If I lived in NY, I'd GLADLY play for you!
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello technique -- tremolo or not?

I agree with what is said above. Playing in mandolin orchestra, I also mainly tremolo on notes on the higher strings and/or melodic lines. Longer 'bass" notes can be helped to sustain via the...
  22. Replies
    Views

A friend bought me the book and these are great...

A friend bought me the book and these are great studies! I get bored with our Mandolin Orchestra music--it's not much more of a challenge sometimes than the classical double bass parts I'm used to...