Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Paul Hathway Octave Mandolin

I've owned a Hathway Mandocello for some years now, which I bought in person from Paul at his home workshop. I recall trying a couple of his OMs while I was there, and was hugely impressed. His...
  2. Re: Are you interested in a new method for the mandocello?

A modern mandocello method would be most welcome. It seems you are suggesting a more or less purely classical approach, and that would almost certainly appeal to many aspiring mandocellists (myself...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin classical literature

Hunting down the less well known music written specifically for Mandolin (or its close relatives) would I suspect be a long albeit fascinating journey. Then there is the question whether it’s just...
  4. Re: Real talk: Are the C strings in the J78 packs dead?

Not sure if this is strictly relevant, but I seem to recall (from an Artistworks video exchange) that Mike Marshall has been speaking to D'Addario about providing Mandocello C strings at a lighter...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Solo Mandocello Literature?

As a raw beginner with the glorious Mandocello (I recently acquired a Paul Hathway) I share the pain of finding suitable material, albeit at my stage simplicity is the main criterion. Although I...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Armrest usefulness

Thank you for this Mark. I looked at this thread because I just fitted a Mclung armrest to my Eastman (I love it mostly because it seems to help me keep my right wrist and arm more relaxed). But your...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: New to mandolin

+1 to both of Dave1066's suggestions. Actually for me the best bit about Carr's book is the first page intro: basically saying learn which finger/fret corresponds to each written note, without...
  8. Re: 1895 Angara & D'Isanto (Allievi Di Vinaccia)

Thanks Randi. Had it a few days now and delighted with it. Still getting used to how small and light it is, but even in my newbie hands it sounds lovely. And there is something rather moving as I...
  9. Re: 1895 Angara & D'Isanto (Allievi Di Vinaccia)

Well it looks and sounds irresistible. In fact it was - so I have bought it! Hoping for delivery sometime next week (up in the Scottish Highlands delivery can take a wee while longer). I am a raw...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD404

I bought a MD404 last week as my first good mandolin (after starting as a complete beginner about 4 months ago on a laminated affair which cost all of £70 including gigbag- and was actually OK as an...
  11. Re: Metronone-How often do you use yours and how do you use it?

As a mandolin beginner (but former bass guitarist), I use my metronome a lot, as others above have described. FarmerJones' exercise is good; I make life a bit easier by using a metronome app which...