Search:

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: type of mandolins played in Colonial America

The key is friendly to the guitar, and my approach was to tune the mandolin up a half step. Playing in Bb/Eb allowed using the open D and G strings. Much easier.

Btw, my cousin has an act playing...
  2. Re: Vivaldi's (and other's) mandolin works on "original" instrume

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htvHZAhrYyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q-pz7jb1q0
  3. Re: Vivaldi's (and other's) mandolin works on "original" instrume

here is another example: Johann Conrad Schlick, Divertimento in D, played by Caterina Lichtenberg and Silko Lisko on 12-string mandolines plus basso continuo.

4. Re: type of mandolins played in Colonial America

I've been away from the cafe for a few days so I missed this, but Eugene is correct. I'm pretty sure that they were playing Neapolitan mandolins. The mandolin came here from Italy by way of England,...
  5. Replies
    Views

Moralt, Le rêve d'un bal

Hi all

Just posted on my blog about a new discovery: a piece for (Milanese) mandolin and piano from München ca. 1850. It's dedicated to Johann Cramer, a mandolin player active in the royal chapel...
  6. Re: Anybody Got a Copy of Ranieri Method Vol 1 and 2?

7. Replies
    Views

Re: Seeking Composer Dates

Hey Neil and other curious minds,
    glad I was able to help but as you know from having read the Vincent Leon chapter in IMHIA, I left Leon in limbo. Pieces of his puzzle were missing. Well, thanks...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Masataka HORI - Mandolin Channel

YES!
    Masataka Hori was our mandocello section leader at CMSA Kansas City and presented an intensive MC workshop. Communicating with us through a translator, he was inspiring, amusing, and most...
  9. Re: Anybody Got a Copy of Ranieri Method Vol 1 and 2?

Simon, those are books 3 and 4 posted by forum user "Geoff w/a G" on IMSLP in 2016...:)

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/1621-Ranieri-The-Art-of-the-Mandoline/page3
  10. Re: Anybody Got a Copy of Ranieri Method Vol 1 and 2?

Not sure if this is it...
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/dxkekj8sl2nspoz6a70mw/IMSLP428406-PMLP695238-2016_Ranieri_V3_-1.pdf?rlkey=c55blw0rwyz5umaa0gnubzlwd&dl=0
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: New recording of Hoffmann's quartets

"I don't have this recording on my own shelves yet, and online info isn't specific. Have any of you scored a copy? Does anybody know the mandolin type that Maddaluno used for this recording?...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: New recording of Hoffmann's quartets

I just bought it on iTunes for the bargain price of 6.99. I'll listen tomorrow, but the digital booklet says that he "plays on a mandolin built by Daniele Orlandi, modelled on a 1792 instrument by...
  13. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: The Ecstasy of Gold

This is one I'd been eyeing for a while for a possible solo mandolin arrangement. I finally sat down and put something together this week. I worked it all out on my Gibson A-4, but at the last...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Italian Mandolin music being forgotten ???

It's that time again, kids. Where else is this being celebrated on the internets?

Searching around for information on the man and ended up here. Don't think I've seen that page in 15 years.
  15. Re: An occasional lament: Calace and the lituo cantabile in recor

"Still wanted are recordings of Calace's 13° Preludio, op.148"

Hi Eugene,

#13 is one of the most beautiful of the liuto preludes, IMHO. My liuto needs a fair amount of work at the moment...
  16. Replies
    Views

Tiritomba - Neapolitan song

In imslp.org comment that: "This song doesn't seem to have Neapolitan origin; probably it comes from middle Europe and was notated and arranged by G. Cottrau." Since the Cottrau, father and son,...
  17. Re: A sadly misinformation-laden bit of mandolin "scholarship"

Sites like this have been around for a long time. It's a front for racking up ad revenue and/or possibly clicking on links one will regret, and there's no one at the wheel driving except to create...
  18. Re: A sadly misinformation-laden bit of mandolin "scholarship"

This type of misinformation can occur among very rapidly advancing young, inexperienced or literary students. Also among groups of people who have a pre-constructed position to defend and of course...
  19. Re: A sadly misinformation-laden bit of mandolin "scholarship"

Accuracy, like truth itself, is so last-century.
  20. Re: A sadly misinformation-laden bit of mandolin "scholarship"

I'm with Simon -- this is an AI-generated article. The misinformation is too specific to be explained by ignorance and is the sort of superficially-plausible nonsense that comes out of AI bots.
  21. Re: A sadly misinformation-laden bit of mandolin "scholarship"

It's written, or half-written by AI. :(
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Paganini for Mandolin

Thanks Eugene for your answer.
    Btw. Dave Apollon recorded a Paganini Stomp on his Travelling Mandolins record (I think that was from 1965) comprised of part of the 24 th caprice and part of the...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Paganini for Mandolin

In the early 20th century Demetrius C. Dounis played Paganini on mandolin (as did some others, such as William Place) although I know of no such performances of the Paganini Variations. And I am...
  24. Replies
    Views

The Godfather Waltz

My version of this famous waltz...

soundcloud.com/jairorp/the-godfather-waltz?si=e93ec65a510f410eb5e2ca6d4aeb7b84&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Balcarres lute manuscript

And here is a third and (for the moment) final posting from the Balcarres lute book.

teaUqFtEbQ4
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4