Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Old Wave Instrument Videos

Hi mandolin community,

I wanted to start this separate forum to post videos of folks who own and love their Old Wave instruments. I was so sad to learn of Bill Bussmann's passing. Our paths...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: What's Ricky pickin'?

In fact, I think it is this mandolinhttp://https://www.facebook.com/fretboardjournal/posts/wow-quite-the-back-on-this-ellis-mandolin-owned-by-ricky-skaggs-and-for-sale-at-/168375656652266/
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Doug Unger Mandolin??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcM_GfPlV58&ab_channel=DaveyHarrison

Here's a video from the two-point flower pot mandolin mentioned above!!
  4. Doug Unger Artist Mandolin (New mandolin to me)

Hi everyone,

Been meaning to post about a new (mandolin) baby for over a week now, but with teaching, gigging, and an 8 month (human) baby, time keeps getting away from me.

Let me start with a...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: I'm stumped

Songs like this can be really tricky on the mandolin because they often feel caught between major and minor modes. I made a quick version for you that is in G minor. It mainly uses frets 1, 3, and...
  6. Replies
    Views

Peter Ostroushko

Hi everyone!

Yesterday was the anniversary of Peter Ostroushko's passing and I just wanted to post today in memory of him and his music. If you are looking for beautiful music to inspire you...
  7. Free Livestream Concert Tonight (lots of mandolin content)

Hi folks,

My wife and I (aka The Boston Imposters) are doing a free livestream concert tonight at 7:30pm central. We'll be playing lots of our own songs and a couple of borrowed favorites...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Fretless mandolin?

I think it's great that the forums are a space for folks to share their opinions, but I think it's kind to assume that if someone built/commissioned/plays a fretless mandolin, they might see this...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Sarah Jarosz Tab

Hi folks. Made a quick video of this tune at a slower tempo so it will be easier to learn by ear. I don't tend to make tabs of transcriptions, but I hope this helps....
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: New Chris Thile album

It's really nice and refreshing to read a discussion of music on the internet that is respectful of different folks personal tastes and opinions! I've yet to listen to the full album yet, but having...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Ostroushko Passes

Hearing Peter Ostroushko on Prairie Home is one of my first memories as a beginning mandolin player. My wife's family know the Ostroushkos as she grew up in the Twin Cities. Yesterday she recalled...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Bryan Sutton on mandolin?!?

Bryan plays mandolin on this fantastic track from Tim O'Brien's Chicken and Egg. Really musical and tasteful playing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vtXQKOGtdk
  13. Re: Post A picture of your favorite "A" model

182429182430 Nugget 272 Art Deco A style
  14. Re: Of your favorite instruments that qualify for this site...

It really depends on the day. I'm blessed with two beautiful mandolins, but the one that feels the most like home is my Nugget. My hands seem to conform to its shape and its shape has changed with...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Day - Ellis

Really beautiful! Congrats.
  16. Re: Thoughts on starter fiddles/transitioning to fiddle

Hiya!

I don't really personally play fiddle, but I purchased one a few years ago as my wife wanted to learn and I knew enough to help her get started until she had a decent teacher. I recommend...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Prettiest Peghead Inlays Ever

I'm quite partial to the inlay on my instrument...a little biased I guess but it's certainly unique! Here's a picture from the mandolin archive 179598
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin art (drawing)

Nice work folks! I love to draw too. This is a self-portrait/mandolin drawing that I did for my recital in grad school.179531
  19. Kickstarter for Duo Album - mandolin content

Hi fellow mandolin fans,

I haven't posted on the forum in quite some time, but I wanted to share a passion project from my wife and me. We are a folk duo under the name The Boston Imposters. For...
  20. Replies
    Views

Benefit for the Ostroushko Family

Hello mandolin family,

I just received word of this benefit concert in Minnesota for Peter Ostroushko and his family. Peter Ostroushko is one of my musical heroes and I wanted to pass this link...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Hi friends! Thought I'd post a quick video of our quartet from Joe Val this year. It's an original tune written by our Fiddler/Band leader Rob Flax called "Alpaca Noir". Cheers!...
  22. Re: NEED ADVICE: College (best ones for mandolin?)

New England Conservatory has a fantastic program called the Contemporary Improvisation department. Students from all over the world study and are able to play their instruments that wouldn't normally...
  23. Octave Mandolin + Irish Bouzouki + Piano = Our Tiny Desk Entry

Hi mandolin world!

Just thought I would post a video of me and my friends playing one of my original songs. Can't think of many times I've heard an octave mandolin and Irish bouzouki together in...
  24. Fretboard Journal Gilchrist Repairs Earliest Loar

I don't know if you all have seen this, but it is worth a quick read...I continue to be blown away by the genius and artistry of Steve Gilchrist:
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: One mando kind of picker...

The mandolin that I use for every musical context is my Nugget. I love it so very much and feel so incredibly blessed to be its caretaker. It has a beautiful clarity and presence in its sound. I...
Page 1 of 2 1 2