Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Stromberg Voisinet tuners explained

Done, but it’s MK V. The first version using the original gear and worm in a new, solid housing, failed because the gear would be the part that failed and would be expensive to reproduce. The next...
  2. 1930s René Gerome French flatback mandolin

I acquired this via French site Leboncoin - some interesting instruments can appear there but you usually need a French phone number and mailing address.

It needed some attention: raising the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Stromberg Voisinet tuners explained

I now have three different Stromberg Voisinet mandolins, none of which have a complete set of functioning tuners. The nicer two have mahogany sides and back (laminate?) while the other appears to be...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Larry Collins RIP

Amazing post from Deke Dickerson on FB. (It's public, worthwhile, and easily searchable)

My favorite bit:

"He reveled in telling us great stories of the old days (“Elvis called me his ‘little...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: French Mandolin 1950s René Gérôme?

Nick, thanks for the alert about about the mandolin in the original post: I just ended up buying a much earlier French instrument from the same seller:
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Bandurria In UK-Project

7. Replies
    Views

Re: Bandurria In UK-Project

That looks to me like a Philipine Bandurria, a relative of the Spanish one developed during colonial times which is used in Rondalla orchestras. The smaller body is typical of them, but they usually...
  8. Replies
    Views

A-Jr in Ex condition - a rarity

Seen in the classifieds. No personal connection. This A-Jr defies my observation that it's rare to see the economy models in 'closet' condition. And much more common to find an A-4 that was put aside...
  9. Original Orville Gibson mandolin video.

I thought you all might enjoy this video we made about a really cool piece of Gibson history featuring a mandolin built and signed by Orville Gibson himself! We've got it hanging in our shop on loan...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Interesting archtop guitar on SGW

David, the H1407 was a cut above other Harmony arch tops, I think, because of the solid spruce tops (albeit pressed, not carved) and solid mahogany elsewhere except for the rosewood fingerboard. Mine...
  11. Replies
    Views

The end of Regal, the end of Harmony

From Music Trades April 1954:

From Music Trades February 1977:

12. Replies
    Views

Re: Strad-O-Lin, United and Homenick Bros

It doesn't seem to have been discussed anywhere on here before, Acoustic Music have posted the 1936 Gretsch catalog (the 1933 has been discussed here) and it is the first and only catalog I am aware...
  13. Replies
    Views

Gibson A Style-like mandolin from Russia

Just wanted to share the pics of Gibson-like instrument found in Russia. Undated, but probably made in the 1970's. Labelled Luthier M.M. Pavlov, Irkutsk. Nothing is available on this luthier in the...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: $4,000 A Snakehead

Our reference books are not always entirely complete, nor do they always agree with each other.
    According to Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars, 2nd edition, model A-1 was discontinued in 1918, but...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Sovereign Resonator Mandolin Harmony 1940

I had a National Rosita mandolin with the same body.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Batty Serbian Flat Back- Needs Work

Perfect for a duet with this one:

17. Re: “Washburn” vs “Lyon and Healy" branded style A mandolin valu

The way I understand it, Washburn was originally a product line of the Lyon & Healy company.
    Lyon & Healy was a vast enterprise, building many different kinds of instruments, operating retail stores...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Fratelli Vinaccia 1898

Many years ago when he worked on my Vinaccia my luthier was quite proud that he had in his parts box some MOP from the handle of a Colt revolver that he cut nicely to fit that pearl triangle on the...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Fratelli Vinaccia 1898

Yes, indeed. Same with my 1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia -- the little MOP piece got lost in the intervening decades, but I had it replaced when it was restored. See attached photo.

Martin
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: L & H Leland Brilliantone

Thanks, Nick.

I posted this one, with some commentary of course, over on the "Flatbacks of Note" thread a couple weeks ago.

It's an interesting mandolin as varies from the numerous Leland...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Sovereign Mandolin

203038 203039

Added the new bridge and restrung, set the intonation (I think I got it pretty close).
    Sounds pretty good.
    I also took care of a few cracks on the side and back of the mando.
    The...
  22. Re: Has anybody heard of an English maker called Frederick Winslo

Here is the sound sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOH9LStZWCk
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Banjo-shaped Wooden 8 string Mystery- 1920s UK

Don't worry, you can't bore the mandolin nerds here!
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: John DeJulio Scrolled C.1915 Mandolin

I agree!

And I'd love to play the mandolin in question here.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Flower & Groehsl Mandolin- early 1900s- ornate

I have never heard of any evidence that Larson had employees; and Hartman does not mention any. From what I understand, they were always a two man shop.

Several things about this mandolin also...
Page 1 of 2 1 2