Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor Guitar tuned to GDAE, is it worth it?

I also am primarily a tenor player, have guitars strung both CGDA (smaller bodied, shorter scale) and GDAE (the bigger boys). When playing with others I almost always prefer GDAE,,, For couch picking...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: My 1940 Kalamazoo "Oriole"

What a great outcome for a terrific little tenor... You made really good choices, I think.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Something cool that changed my playing

Great observation/question dc!

I used to play a lot in irish sessions and noticed that I could more quickly join and enhance the "feel" of a tune by deploying my foot on the 1 and 3 for some...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: 1920's Vega..

I love mine. They are light and can be slightly "tubby" in GDAE tuning, but with 12-20-20-42 phosphor-bronze strings it sounds pretty good. It'll never dominate a jam, but I love playing with a few...
  5. Replies
    Views

Here it is
  6. Replies
    Views

What a beauty!! I've got a sibling Oriole Tenor, same in most respects except mine has the smaller pick guard. Mine's been modified to X bracing, sounds super. Stiffer and punchier overall compared...
  7. Re: Tried GDAE tuning on my Ibanez PFT2 doesn't sound that good.

After quite a bit of experimenting on various 23" scale length tenors in GDAE I've landed on 42, 30, 20(wound), 12. This suits most of my tenors fine, especially the Martin 0-18T. I went a bit...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor Guitar Gallery & Sightings

This is lovely...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vwIPFgSaJp4
  9. Re: Tenor guitar player curious about old time music

Hey Handy... that's a terrific recording of Rock the Cradle Joe. Just terrific.

To Michael, I can't help with the Portland part either, but here in VT the Old-Time and trad scene is very...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Jumbo Vega Tenor

Yup, really good mojo with this one Bruce b. & I also agree about the Boston-built Vegas Mdj. I'll never part with my little one, but this one just wasn't getting any play time.

I just checked and...
  11. Replies
    Views

Jumbo Vega Tenor

One of my Vega tenors is at Antebellum Instruments for some set-up and intonation work (and possible consignment sale... we'll see what he thinks). Check it out on Jake's blog here:...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: 6 string tenor experiment

Can't wait to see the Herb Taylor build, Roger!
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Frankenstien tenor!

I know it's impossible to tell on these web videos, but that sure sounds GREAT!
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Vega Jumbo tenor

That converted 6-string is awesome! Love the little jazz box too, and the great energy throughout the video.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Frankenstien tenor!

What a great project! I've always wondered about how a classical body would respond as a tenor. I think a sound clip would be pretty neat...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor herd... I might have issues

Thx all,

Regarding playability, they're all serviceable, though the jumbo Vega has pretty significant intonation issues... Needs the saddle moved via bridge reslotting.
    The 0-18t is my main axe,...
  17. Replies
    Views

Tenor herd... I might have issues

I lurk here often and appreciate other's postings. Here, for your enjoyment is my herd of tenors, accumulated over the past 12 years or so.

front row L-R: '29 Martin 1-17p; early '29...