Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: 1903 Rafaele Disantino from Napoli

He certainly liked his convoluted soundholes.
    They look like they were generally built to a pretty high level of quality.
    166204 166205 166206
  2. Replies
    Views

I like the "cross-eyed" soundholes and the general look, though it also seems to me that this mandolin was stored in adverse conditions. Can you see light through the ribs? I also believe that that...
  3. Replies
    Views

Not so easy - the fretboards on these Neapolitans are wafer thin and usually cut right through (meaning they come off one fret at a time, not in one piece). They use bar frets as well, not T-frets,...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Buying a bouzouki in Ireland - advice

Hi Kieran,

I've looked at your website and clearly I owe you an apology. Your shop does indeed have exactly what Jack is looking for and well within his budget.

I'm not familiar with either...
  5. Replies
    Views

Looks to be in good shape - nice find!
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Buying a bouzouki in Ireland - advice

You might get in contact with Moloney music in Galway the owner posts on here sometimes. http://www.moloneymusic.com/
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Bouzouki description on shipping labels

I agree. If you want to call it a wooden stringed musical instrument that would probably suffice. You can't argue with that description. If it was moving as domestic freight within the US it would...
  8. Re: Bouzouki description on shipping labels

Try posting a Waldzither and see the Post Office employee write in large letters on the label: World Zipper.

Just call it "musical instrument".
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Bouzouki description on shipping labels

How about octave mandolin? Bouzoukis can be seen as a long scale octave mandolin, so I think simply declaring it an OM would work.
  10. Re: student wants a mandocello...under $1000...suggestions?

Give Kieran a shout here. He may have those strings too
    http://www.moloneymusic.com/Products/Mandolin_Bouzouki_Family/Tenor_Mandola_and_Mandocello#nav10MandolinBouzoukiFamily
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Rest in Peace - Glen Campbell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJd4vO8jkyE
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: .012 - .042 strings for a MANDOCELLO??

This is the unfortunate consequence of some luthiers and performers in the UK folk scene abusing the name "mandocello" to mean "big-bodied bouzouki". Steve Knightley of Show Of Hands in particular...
  13. Replies
    Views

I wonder if some of these DeMeglio "clones" weren't in fact made in the DeMeglio shop and relabeled by others. DeMeglio made a lot of mandolins over the years: their serial numbers range up to...
  14. Replies
    Views

1903 Rafaele Disantino from Napoli

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and new to mandolins generally. My Uncle gave me this old mandolin 30 years ago and apart from putting strings on it to see if It would make a nice sound and a...
  15. Replies
    Views

My first mandolin is finally here!

Hello guys!

I'm pleased to announce that I finally made the plunge: I bought my first mandolin!
    I chose The Loar LM-700-VS w/ CA bridge and extension scoop (it arrived last Friday from Moloney...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Tough being in Europe...

There is more to Europe than just Germany ;)

Brexit has only been voted for, not executed yet. I never paid customs when I ordered my Fylde back in the 00's, and exchange rates are much more...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Clip on tuner vs mobile app tuner

As Groucho said, "I wouldn't join any club that'll have me as a member."
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Levon Helm's Mandolin

Here is that mandolin in action during the post-Robertson era, with the shift: Helm moving from drums to mandolin, Manuel from piano to drums, Hudson from organ to piano, and Danko from bass to...
  19. Replies
    Views

Levon Helm's Mandolin

This is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum, The curator mistakes it for an F-5 but obviously it is an F-4.

G0mFoTZ0O5g
  20. Re: a question for the Andy Irvine aficionados

Here's my reply from Andy - hopefully there'll be another regarding use on albums!
    ------------------------
    Dear Michael,
    I am one of the great dwellers on the past, so don’t be ashamed of asking...
  21. Replies
    Views

Stradivarius cello restoration article

Remember the Strad cello that was stolen in Los Angeles and later fished out of a Dumpster? For the past 18 months it's been under restoration here in Seattle. Interesting story about it here:...
  22. Replies
    Views

When you see me at a jam

You better not be laughing at my case stickers! After getting ready for work came out this morning to my daughter upping my street cred. Think I'll leave them on :)

23. Re: I will pay you $50 to transcribe this song for me.

Click the settings icon on the lower right side of the video and you can slow it down to half speed or quarter speed. Then repeat it section by section and transcribe it yourself. You'll learn it far...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Folk Alliance International 2016

Martin Howley playing his Collings F. They were absolutely shredding some Irish tunes and no b.s. The guy is the real deal. Sorry for the bad photos. The lighting in the showcase rooms varies from...
  25. McIlroy Tenor (gave way to TGAS again!)

Well, I succumbed to higher end Tenor-dom.
    Pics when she arrives in a day or so, but it's this one....

herd thinning to follow!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4