Search:

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Thick scroll

by sunburst
    Replies
    Views

Re: Thick scroll

I've worked my down to more like 3/8" so that I can set the neck a little deeper into the body and use thinner fingerboards. Even so, the darned thing still sticks right up there in the way of so...
  2. Thread: Back removal

by pops1
    Replies
    Views

Re: Back removal

If you need thin strips of wood to inlay into the purfling gap, it's hard to get them in once they have glue on. I cut strips to fit cracks and insert them dry, then wick in hot hide glue. It is...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Practice cutting dovetails by hand

Choose wood that is easy to cut. Some 2X4s are easier than others; some are spruce, some yellow pine, some various other. (SPF stands for spruce/fir/pine, but I suspect that doesn't limit what you...
  4. Thread: Dry Bending Sides

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

Re: Dry Bending Sides

That sounds correct to me (for bending dry or with just little moisture on the inside surface) and that's what I've been doing for curly maple sides. It's simplest way for free-hand bending over...
  5. Replies
    Views

From my own experience, not from anything I've read or been told, here is a 'hypothesis' that I have formed.
    First a little background;
    We know (as mentioned in this thread among others) that to...
  6. Thread: Dry Bending Sides

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

I think (just musing here) that there is probably vast difference between using tiny or medium amount of water and using fully steamed wood, especially figured.
    If you use no or very little water it...
  7. Thread: Dry Bending Sides

by hank
    Replies
    Views

Thanks for the heads up on my folly MR. Mowry. It is well taken and noted. I am a hobbyist having fun here hoping to give back and share low cost alternatives but had no idea my methods don’t work...
  8. Replies
    Views

I'd venture that one why reason why most luthiers don't use steam is that it gets the wood wetter then necessary, which makes figured wood more prone to breaking, and makes rippling more likely. In...
  9. Thread: Dry Bending Sides

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

OFten some rippling is inevitable unless you have precise mould and counter piece that will "iron" the piece flat and keep it there till the bend is fixed. Tight bending strap helps, but the stresses...
  10. Thread: Dry Bending Sides

by hank
    Replies
    Views

I read moisture and heat meant a bending iron and spray bottle might be causing your rippling wood deformation. Perhaps a steam bath and drying mold might cause less stress to the wood with less...
  11. Replies
    Views

On the issue of the cells slipping vs. compressing: With figured maple, which we mandolin builders use most often, the "curl" enters and exits the faces of the wood repeatedly, so it effect each cell...
  12. Thread: Dry Bending Sides

by hank
    Replies
    Views

I looked back at my records and found both the steam generator and the heat strap and both came from Amazon. The Earlex was just under $70 and the strap about $73. The long sweat tray is a couple...
  13. Thread: Dry Bending Sides

by hank
    Replies
    Views

David I’ve been putting together a low priced DIY steam tube and shaping dryer form. I used a 4” tube size but it could be built larger for your guitar work. I found the heater on EBay and the...
  14. Thread: Dry Bending Sides

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

Perhaps I didn't use good vocabulary, but the cells are long tubes that are pretty much connected into one continuous pipeline all the way up to the top of tree. They cannot just slip one past...
  15. Replies
    Views

David, I've bent sides without added water. There is always some moisture content in wood (unless it is freshly oven died), and it seems to me that some wood bends better with less water and some...
  16. Thread: Dry Bending Sides

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

I don't see any principal difference in mandolin or guitar side bending. Guitar sides being often thinner than mandolins' it should be even simpler. I never bent guitar sides but I bent wood for many...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Warps in bent sides

I think this is caused by varying run-out within the board. Gluing small struts to the side may help to hold it flat (some builders do this anyway). Scraping may even it out a bit. I find it doesn't...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: lacquer problem

I've had that cracking and contributed it to the shellac. I use an off the shelf shellac and I think it was too old. A new can resolved the issue. I was unable to fix it with anything less than...
  19. Replies
    Views

$#@)!^& finish problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  20. Thread: lacquer problem

by slimt
    Replies
    Views

That looks like the wood moved and the clear did not.. how do you apply your clear? in stages or ?

btw,, Nitro has a shelf life..
  21. Thread: lacquer problem

by amowry
    Replies
    Views

After having problems with shellac under Cardinal, I switched to vinyl sealer, and I like it much better than shellac. A lot of the literature talks about shellac sealer “bringing out the beauty of...
  22. Replies
    Views

You don’t need to wet sand, just sand.
  23. Replies
    Views

I don't miss wet sanding, or seal coat/topcoat issues, at all. :-)
  24. Replies
    Views

Ive never had a problem with shellac as a sealer, but I have with vinyl sealer. Any small sand-through in the lacquer at any time in the finish process leaves an area of clearer looking wood. Not...
  25. Replies
    Views

While I'm rattling on, I don't use Cardinal lacquer. I use Mohawk. But I've never liked using shellac under nitro. I don't know who told me, but somebody said to use vinyl sealer. That's all I use on...
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4