Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Undocumented Loar? Gibson Style H-5 Mandol

NOTE - THIS WRITER IS THE CONSIGNOR OF THE GIBSON H-5 MANDOLA, SIGNED BY LLOYD LOAR (LOT 327) & THE GIBSON H-2 MANDOLA (LOT 328), BOTH OF WHICH ARE BEING AUCTIONED BY SKINNER THIS COMING SUN., NOV....
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar Period F-4 Mandolins

Details:
    Truss rod
    Flowerpot inlay
    Small dot locating pin above the inlay “The” on the peghead
    Round-end tuners, worm under configuration, coffee color buttons
    Dovetailed points (only...
  3. Replies
    Views

Loar Period F-4 Mandolins

It took me many years, but I finally found a Loar period F-4 in excellent original condition with no history of repairs or damage. The inside of the instrument is very clean and the labels are in...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday - Dan Beimborn

Happy Birthday. Left a pint at the bar for you.
  5. Replies
    Views

Happy birthday, Chicken Man!

Jamie
  6. Replies
    Views

Happy Birthday Dan. Hope your day is great. Thanks for all you do to make the cafe a great resource for us.
  7. Replies
    Views

Happy birthday and thank you for all your great work! One of my favourite web site visits for each day is possible only because of you.
  8. Replies
    Views

I wrote that four years ago and I'm afraid it's still true.
  9. Replies
    Views

This man will be 47 (January 11) by the time he reads this. He's the reason this server is so dam fast! He has waaayyyyy too many fine mandolins.

10. Replies
    Views

Re: Overpriced mandolins ...

To the original poster: You may as well name names if you're trying to be a real flame thrower. Start with your OWN name, and then move on to the City, the store and the luthiers who are making all...
  11. Re: Stan Jay, Pioneer of Vintage Instrument Fame Fighting For His

This is very sad news to hear. From the outer fringes of the Big Apple, Stan Jay (and early on, his partner Hap Kuffner) created his own unique vision of the vintage fretted instruments store. ...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar's Mando/Viola 70321

Greetings fellow lovers of Loar lore. I borrowed this unique instrument from it's very knowledgeable custodian (at the time) to see how it would sound on a recording. I tuned the instrument (as I...
  13. Replies
    Views

Lloyd Loar in 1921 on Bridges

In 1921 Lloyd Loar gave a speech at the Guild of Banjoists, Mandolinists and Guitarists Convention in Los Angeles, California. His topic was "Gibson Selling Points From Science." The entire speech...
  14. Re: Having Trouble With D'Addario J-74s. Any Recommendations?

Gents - don from D'Addario Strings here and yes, counterfeit strings have been a bit of a pain - popping up in more places than one would expect. But Strings and Things is a really reliable source....
  15. Replies
    Views

Fine Resophonics mandolin

Here's demo of the Fine Resophonics mandolin by Mike Lewis of Paris.

https://vimeo.com/57475440
    See classifieds
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar case keys

Here is the real-deal oval lock on a genuine Loar case. Neither key is original. The one on the right works. It has a second tab that's unnecessary and doesn't actually go into the lock. The one on...