Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Living in Kazakhstan, ready for online course

Thanks everyone for the really helpful replies. Sounds like there are some good options.

@SimonDS, the Russian folk orchestra I played with was the Washington Balalaika Society, and their link is...
  2. Living in Kazakhstan, ready for online course

Well, in the summer of 2022 I moved to Kazakhstan for work, and I thought that I would keep up with mandolin, but it's an unknown instrument here, so I've pretty much kept to guitar. But I'm ready to...
  3. Re: Moved to Kazakhstan, need free sheet music until stuff arrive

Well, it's about a year and a half later. I did get to that museum, and it is absolutely amazing. Traditional instruments, particularly from Central Asia, but from all over the world. Loved it.
  4. Moved to Kazakhstan, need free sheet music until stuff arrives

Howdy everyone, I recently moved to Almaty, Kazakhstan from Virginia, and most of my things haven't arrived yet. Thankfully my mandolin has, but none of my sheet music has. That may take several...
  5. Re: ear training for contra dance/fiddle tunes

Thanks everyone; I appreciate all the insights.

I have started learning a few tunes with the ASD on my phone. Years ago I bought a book of sheet music with 16 old time tunes, and it came with a...
  6. Re: Stolen Strad returned (no mando content)

Well, it's been nearly a year, but the violin was restored, and was recently used in a concert. The Totenbergs still own it, although plan to sell. Today's Washington Post has an article about the...
  7. "The Brilliance of Stradivari Violin Might Rest Within Its Wood"

That's the headline for an article in yesterday's NY Times, which reports on a study published by the National Academy of Sciences that says that the wood for Strads may have been subject to mineral...
  8. Thread: Domra

by bohemianbiker
    Replies
    Views

Re: Domra

That's a contrabass balalaika. A bass is smaller; enough so that it's played while sitting (at least every one I've seen).

We have 3 contrabass balalaikas, and audiences love them. bb
  9. Thread: Domra

by bohemianbiker
    Replies
    Views

Re: Domra

I'd have to throw my hat in with David on that one. While I'm no expert, I do play in a Russian orchestra with about 55 musicians, about a third of which are domras. We have primas, altos, tenors,...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: From Russia with Love

Thanks! It's tuned just like a mandolin, E A D G. It's pretty much the same size as well, such that switching from mandolin to the domra doesn't require much mental adjustment. Except the domra...
  11. Replies
    Views

From Russia with Love

Here are some photos of my new prima domra, made by a luthier in Russia. I'm using it in the Russian orchestra I play with. Pretty psyched about it! bb

12. Stolen Strad returned (no mando content)

Some may recall that last August a Stradivarius, stolen in 1980 from Roman Totenberg (father of NPR's Nina Totenberg), was returned to the Totenberg family. The Washington Post has published an...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: A case for locking the case

According to the blog post at the link below, Customs denies making the mark, and instead points the finger at the hotel or car company.

I'm with Allen, if you lock it, Customs is going to bust...
  14. Re: What's Your Favorite Instrumental-Mandolin Album?

Mondo Mando by Grisman. bb
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Russian Domra

Tamara and her husband played with our orchestra (WBS) last spring, and she will be doing so again on the 17th of this month. They are both great. It's a joy hear her play the domra.

I play a...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin (guitar) and bass duo

And worth noting is that they have done 2 or 3 albums together, the most recent of which won a Grammy. Check out thilemeyer.com.
    bb
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Finished reading Corelli's Mandolin

Oh man, I read the book so many years ago, I guess it was the late 90's (well before I started picking on the mando). Let me join the chorus saying that the book is excellent. The movie abysmal. I...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Fiddle Tune that Incorporates Chords

It seems to me what you're asking about is effectively chord melodies (at least for part of the song). I agree that this provides more depth, particularly if you're playing solo. I thought there...
  19. Traveling with ivory in your instrument (no mando content)

The Washington Post has an interesting article (link below) about traveling to/from the US with ivory in your instrument (and also rosewood, tortoise shell, etc., but mostly ivory). Apparently...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Music for Quartet

Thanks everyone for the continued posting of terrific info.

Our gig Saturday was at a retirement home, and it went well. A lot of our Christmas music has only 2 parts plus chords, so one of the...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Thanks Button?

I think we need a "Man, that's utter lunacy" button. ;)

On a more serious note, I don't know what it is, but I like when someone thanks one of my posts. And now I get frustrated on some of the...
  22. Re: Les Paul's 1954 'Black Beauty' on the block

The purchaser (Jim Irsay, Colts owner) seems to agree. He's quoted as saying that this guitar is not the holy grail (paragraph below is from article at link). Turns out Irsay has some interesting...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing Seventh Chords Cleanly

2 chord shapes I use a lot for chopping are 5576 (C7) and 7587 (G7). They can both be moved up and down the neck for whatever 7th chord you need. It took me forever to be able to use the 2nd shape,...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: When should you shift up the neck?

I've been taking classical lessons for the last 3 years. My instructor has been playing for something like 4 decades, and was conservatory trained. She often emphasizes that, if possible, it's good...
  25. Fender's selling instruments directly to musicians upsets dealers

That's the gist of the LA Times article found at the link below (mandos not mentioned in the article).

The article reports that Fender says that this will help the dealers, but some dealers take...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3