Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave mandolin less-expensive choices

I purchased an APC last summer from Moloney Music in Ireland. It was a very nice instrument, but after a few months I realized it wasn't for me. I didn't like the scale length (21-1/2") so I sold...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Ye Vagabonds live in Whelans during lockdown

Love this! Groovy and uplifting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLM5jX6BY8E
  3. Replies
    Views

Read Me First

The old Forum software has been reinstalled. But I wasn't done meddling just yet. I saw some things in the other version and decided they had their place here so changes have occurred in the...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Snark vs Korg chromatic tuner

Steve L - I have exactly the same experience with the battery usage on my own Snarks. I use Duracell CR2032 batteries & they seem to last for months at a time - in fact,i can't remember the last time...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Alec Finn RIP

I so enjoyed the TG4 piece on him only this week, but was a bit stunned when he talked about cancer right at the end. And now this.

Anyway, he was a master at what he did and truly was a quite...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Reccomend a good Mel Bay book

I think many people are waiting for the OP to tell us what kind of music he/she likes. Some fols just assume that everyone is looking for bluegrass but that is not always the case.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Visit to Schoenberg guitars, Tiberon, Ca

Eric was one of the partners at TME at one time. Stu Cohen founded the store, way back when in Pittsburgh. He then moved it to Cambridge.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Need help with Jigs

Honestly Bob if Jigs aren’t grabbing you don’t bother with them. They require a completely different approach and arguably years to perfect. I don’t think any of this time will benefit your bluegrass...
  9. Replies
    Views

Liam O'Flynn (Planxty) RIP

Very, very sad news from Ireland.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0314/947337-liam-oflynn/

I think many of us here owe an enormous amount to the ground-breaking music of Planxty and the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: String And Pick Gauges For Irish/Scottish Trad

I've always preferred stiff picks to thin flexible ones. Used Dunlop 1.14 delrins for years and years on my guitars and mandolin, but recently switched to a 0.88 Dunlop Jazz III for both and find the...
  11. Re: String And Pick Gauges For Irish/Scottish Trad

I'm liking the pointy tip and compact shape of the BlueChip Jazz picks at the moment, I seem to hit more triplets than with rounder tips. As for strings I'm using D'Addario EJ74 on an old Gibson A3...
  12. Re: String And Pick Gauges For Irish/Scottish Trad

Want to thank everyone for this. Had been going away from my Blue Chips because of the pick noise, which when sitting around can be distracting to me. However, I've been recently playing with some...
  13. Re: String And Pick Gauges For Irish/Scottish Trad

I like the fender heavies because they are a little thinner and pointier than my big triangle 1.5 primetones. I play pretty hard, and my Ellis can take the 1.5 and still fight back, which I like,...
  14. Re: String And Pick Gauges For Irish/Scottish Trad

Here ye go, MoreThanQuinn: All of the picks below have right hand bevels:

Here's a reel on my Collings MT-O played using a Blue Chip TPR35 pick:

rgOk_DSIWkA

This one is using a Blue Chip...
  15. Replies
    Views

For years, I have used D'Daddario J62 - 80/20 bronze 10-14-24-34 (and a Jim Dunlop .73mm). I notice most people choose considerably heavier gauges than me, but my mandolin is fairly lightly built...
  16. Re: String And Pick Gauges For Irish/Scottish Trad

On my Eastman MD504 I’ve found I like LSB 250 GHS Silk and Bronze the most, which are 11-16-26-40. On my Weber I am in the process of experimenting. When I obtained it it had 80/20 bronze strings...
  17. Re: String And Pick Gauges For Irish/Scottish Trad

Mandolin - Big Muddy M-3
    Strings - D'Addario EJ67... great bright tone!..I change the As for .016
    Picks - I'm very fickle when it comes to picks!..at the mo my favourite is the Pickboy Meta...
  18. Re: String And Pick Gauges For Irish/Scottish Trad

I like J74s and a Fender heavy pick on my '24 snakehead which is well suited for Irish stuff.
    I like J75s and Dunlop Primetone 1.5 big triangle (brown) on my Ellis A5, a good all around instrument.
  19. Replies
    Views

J74s for the Sobell, lighter set of D'Addarios for the 1922 Gibson F4 and tortex orange picks.... try to keep things simple so that I can actually get what I need easily and regularly.
  20. Re: String And Pick Gauges For Irish/Scottish Trad

Pick: Bluechip TAD50-1R or TAD40
    Mandolins and strings: Old Wave Oval A with J74s/National RM-1 with FW74s/Taran Springwell with GHS A275s/Gary Nava 2-point with Jazzmando JM11s. After...
  21. Re: String And Pick Gauges For Irish/Scottish Trad

Medium EJ74s for strings (except in the summer when I switch over to medium weight coated Elixers) and a hard John Pearse jazz pick on my snake. I've noticed that I eventually wear bevels into my...
  22. Replies
    Views

There is no magic formula, just the combination that is optimal for each instrument. Optimal because technique also makes a difference, something the banjo players are learning.

I've found that...
  23. Re: String And Pick Gauges For Irish/Scottish Trad

Aye they are Steve.
  24. Re: String And Pick Gauges For Irish/Scottish Trad

I'm pretty basic.

D'Addario J74s and Dunlop 0.88.

I used to use a lighter pick but have gradually increased it. However, I find that if my pick is any thicker I can't ripple through the strings...
  25. Replies
    Views

BlueChip TAD40 on all, Elixir medium strings on most but I also recently love the GHS Pure Nickel Mandolin, .011 ‑ .041, N270 set - lovely warm sound on the lower half of the courses.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3