Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Sucks being a Canadian sometimes

Tell ya what, Nick; swap shopping access for your medical access.
  2. Re: Open Back / Old Time Banjos - Comparisons to Mando Builders

Those look like Glenn Carson inlays. He does the best job. I have a Fielding banjo that Glenn did in the inlay work on. I have one he is making for me now from a banjo Will Fielding started before he...
  3. Re: The "legitimate classical instrument" thing..

I am curious about exactly who says that and what they mean. Also eager to see what kinds of replies you get to this, as I will be talking about it in my presentation at the Classical Mandolin...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Key of the song based on the melody

a whole 'nother way to look at it is to look at the chord progression...

We have a I-IV-V progression (A-D-E7 even though the E7 is often voiced as plain E in the vernacular). The form begins...
  5. Huzzah! New Mando Day! Kentucky KM-272 from The Mandolin Store!

Nothing like unboxing a new instrument...

194797 194798 194799 194800 194801 194802194803 194804 194805 194806 194807 194808

Even though I tend to prefer F-style mandolins with f-holes, I was...
  6. Re: Black Walnut flat-back Mandolin just finished

Let's try again. Here are the pictures (I hope).

7. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Victoria Day

Sorry forgot to quote you :)
  8. Replies
    Views

NMD - Skip Kelley two-point

Looks like my long journey is coming to a pleasing end. Those who remember my first posts, I was looking for advice on purchase. As many before have praised, I found this place searching for info on...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Do you name your instruments?

+1 -- Scott beat me to it.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue Chip pick for oval hole mandolin

Also like the PrimeTone in .96 or 1.0. Need to try them in triangle shape. Just have the regular guitar pick shape. But that model ends up being my secret weapon when my band needs a bit more volume...
  11. Aaron Weinstein's New Apitius yorkville mandolin

Hi all,

I'm so excited by the new mandolin I just received from genius luthier, Oliver Apitius. In my opinion, there is no mandolin that is better suited to Jazz. And it plays like a dream. I...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: How to practice Circle of 5ths

a simple chord changing drill for those getting their swing rhythm chops or cyclical dominants (seventh chords moving in fifths)together:

up high on the mandolin make an A7, as a three note...
  13. Replies
    Views

Stolen mandolin recovered!

Hi all,

I just wanted to share a very happy story with you, and it's really only happy because of the help of this wonderful community here on Mandolin Cafe!

Earlier last year our shop was...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Old vs New Oval

I disagree. That is not what X bracing will give you. I have used both the cross brace and X brace in Gibson style oval hole mandolins and have been able to do close comparisons, apples to apples,...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Young Sam Bush A5 video

Perhaps I can share some information on the mandolin. My dad, Lowell Eldridge sold the A-50 to Sam he says in either 1970 or 71. He says he thought the A-50 was a late 40's-early 50's mandolin. When...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: A-Model Archtop Oval Hole $500-1000

To follow up on this, I ended up buying a used, mint Eastman 504 w/ hardshell case for $525 delivered, which I thought was a good price since it's basically new.

It's not an American, handmade...
  17. Invention in C Major BWV 772 Nugget F5 and Northfield Octave

Just got done listening to Caterina Lichtenberg and Mike Marshall's CD of Bach inventions and felt inspired to play one. You can even watch it in 4k!

eLmdWVKvMAc

Enjoy and keep on picking!
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you play these measures?

Thank you for inviting me to the discussion.

DavidKOS and Jim Bevan described well how to play it. Thank you!

I didn't think about Duo style, but it's probably possible.

I could write the...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Losing My Religion (cover) - Collings MT2V

thank you...will do!
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Losing My Religion (cover) - Collings MT2V

yes sir..the one and only:)
  21. Re: Carbon Fiber Builder wants our input on a Carbon Fiber Mandol

Thanks Gary for starting this post, and thanks everyone for the great input already.

As it stands right now our game plan would be to initially release an A style with the option to have either...
  22. Thread: Ok, who dunnit?

by TAlex
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ok, who dunnit?

It was me. I have never posted on Mandolin Cafe but I can review the Gilchrist when I receive it next week. I’ve been wanting one for a while and when I saw it for sale I called Carter and bought it.
  23. “Satan is Real” Louvin Brothers movie looks like it’s happening

Delighted to see the mention of Michael Daves in this week’s issue of The New Yorker, where a profile on actor Ethan Hawke described Michael coaching Hawke on voice and mando for his role as Ira...
  24. Replies
    Views

"Map of music"

Here's a pretty cool intro to music. I especially appreciate the anthropological perspective and variety of music functions. I have to say the section on "medicinal" or healing practices - where...
  25. Replies
    Views

Opus 38 on Eastman Octave mandolin

Happy Labor Day y’all!

I purchased an Eastman Octave mandolin about a week ago and it’s just been a blast to play. Here’s one of my favorite David Grisman tunes on it. Do y’all have a favorite...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4