Search:

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

The Gibson Factory in Kalamazoo

I just happened across this brief youtube video thanks to their autosuggestion function. It's only a couple of years old and includes some interesting information. For one thing, it mentions plans by...
  2. Re: type of mandolins played in Colonial America

I feel compelled to comment a bit on the content of this url. It states that "the [six-course mandolino] was no longer used after around 1740. Only recently has the Mandolino been revived."

This...
  3. Re: type of mandolins played in Colonial America

I've been away from the cafe for a few days so I missed this, but Eugene is correct. I'm pretty sure that they were playing Neapolitan mandolins. The mandolin came here from Italy by way of England,...
  4. Re: type of mandolins played in Colonial America

Neil notes that "Among the composers [Gualdo] played was Emanuele Barbella." Barbella often designated his works for "violino o mandolino," and his music was written for and certainly fits the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Finally, a Lyon & Healy Set

It took a good long while and more wheeling and dealing (and spousal apologizing) than I've ever done, but I've managed to put together a full Lyon & Healy Quartet.

All are player grade - the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Transitioning to a Bowlback

Yes we have all heard our heroes, Chris Thile, Jacob Reuven, Avi Avital, etc., but lets not forget to include one of my all time favorites Carlo Aonzo. And if he doesn't inspire one to play a bowl,...
  7. Replies
    Views

Thanks for expressing that idea so well, Joe!
  8. Replies
    Views

Bowls are extremely fun. I play a Washburn bowlback, circa turn of the last century. Very loud, without sacrificing scintillating tone. It only plays delicate if you back off a bit.

I use it is...
  9. Replies
    Views

I have plenty of bowlbacks due to my self inflicted research project a decade or so, wanting to separate the wheat from the chaff, the jewels from the junk. I have never noticed overall that...
  10. Replies
    Views

+1 on what David said. Basically you need to think of these as completely different animals that happen to be tuned like a mandolin ;) If you can source a quality one - and the US made bowls,...
  11. Replies
    Views

I've never had access issues on any bowlback.

As for wide fingerboards, all the better!

Many Roman style bowlbacks have a narrow fingerboard.

It takes time to get used to the rounded...
  12. Replies
    Views

Tesoro Mio ~ The Glo Worm Trio

Robin Rapuzzi's Glo Worms playing Tesoro Mio in Vaughan's Lounge, New Orleans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bTTkVaJFCQ
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Jim Richter Mandolin Blues Lick of the Day

https://youtu.be/bjaokeqDUQk
  14. Article: Sheri Mignano Crawford Chronicles a Great Italian Mandol

You can view the page at https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content/993-Sheri-Mignano-Crawford-Chronicles-a-Great-Italian-Mandolinist-in-Game-of-Hearts-The-Life-of-Carlos-Curti?
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Love for Ovals

I agree. It seems that most makers these days make oval hole hybrids with the longer neck access. I have played some Collings and I actually prefer the A-5 configuration. I searched for some time and...
  16. Thread: Love for Ovals

by rcc56
    Replies
    Views

Re: Love for Ovals

And I like 'em no matter whether they're carved, have flat backs, or cylinder backs.
    It's hard to go wrong with a good Gibson, carved L & H, Vega, Larson, or even the right Martin.
    It's got to be a...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo...Which player...

So an informal assessment of what makes a good mandolin tremolo seems to be falling into 2 opinion categories:

Those who prefer the Italian/European style, which has a faster tremolo speed, is...
  18. Replies
    Views

Italian music is not just the classical side. Just saying...there's a lot of other Italian mandolin music that ranges from urban cafe music to rural folklore.
  19. Replies
    Views

The Yeller Rose of texas

Who could be a better reincarnation of Homer and Jethro?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IUG0JqA7yc
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Jim Richter Mandolin Blues Lick of the Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkxH8br7u38

Fun Jethro Burns lick from C-Jam Blues on Homer and Jethro at the Country Club
  21. Replies
    Views

Giovanni Gioviale
  22. Replies
    Views

Thanks to all of you for mentioning the fact that the Italian style of mandolin playing requires a good tremolo.
  23. Replies
    Views

You can't leave out the Italian players. They all mastered tremelo before they grew their adult teeth.
  24. Re: Article: The Original Hippies, Homer & Jethro, a 1971 Intervi

I can make a pretty educated guess as to which mandolin Jethro is playing on the Playing it straight album - Big Red. I took lessons from him in 1975 and as far as I could tell, he only owned that...
  25. Oh my goodness! What great slice of history and...

Oh my goodness! What great slice of history and Jethrology, chock full of insights into the brilliant artistry, craft, and business of Homer and Jethro. Also chill producing moments as they recount...
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4