Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Oldest L-5! Lloyd Loar Signature!Analysis

I thought the Loar era L-5's were varnished (but never checked about that). They say it's lacquer. Were the guitars laquered back then?
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Instaalling frets on a new build

I fret after gluing board to neck. I like to have surface prepared to perfect straight before I install frets and I don't force frets but rather remove a bit of the fret nibs with flat file so the...
  3. Thread: Aged-tone?

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

Re: Aged-tone?

Wood will always gets to EMC which depends on RH of air around it. Thermally processed wood has slightly lower EMC and has generally better dimensional stability which was the main argument for doing...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson's 1923 F-5 Master Model Reissue

Back to the OP...
    In the staged pics from this PR article :
    https://gazette.gibson.com/gear/gibson-launches-the-1923-f-5-master-model-reissue-and-f-5g/

you can see several necks with dovetail...
  5. Replies
    Views

There is also article on Gilchrists web with more pics:
    https://www.gilchristmandolins.com/70281-restore
  6. Replies
    Views

I cringed my teeth when I read about that, but I think in one of the long articles about the repair of 70281 he mentioned that he offered several possible scenarios, including new bassbar, but the...
  7. Replies
    Views

CNC cut inlay in CNC cut neck with CNC cut outline should be neat but they missed the design of the large scroll in the fist place and left it right off the CNC cutter.
    If you look at the TR cover...
  8. Replies
    Views

Purely from theoretical side I agree, but you cannot control all the tiny details from manager seat or spec'ing them exactly to whoever is at the bench and the result is always sum of those tiny...
  9. Replies
    Views

The mandolins may sound good or great but we actually don't know a tiniest bit about whose hands were involved in building them... Even late Charlie Derrington who gets similar praises from his...
  10. Replies
    Views

I haven't played one so I won't comment on tone. but these claims are quite bold:

"Thanks to scientific analysis, 3D scanning of original models, and Loar’s production notes from the Gibson...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Lutherie as an art form

If you look up origin of word art. You'll find someting like this:

The word “art” is derived from the Latin ars, which originally meant “skill” or “craft.” These meanings are still primary in...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Used gouges... (or new)?

Good gouges are still good many years later unless they were badly damaged and lost their temper.
    My best chisel, I dug out in the garden behind our church where old houses used to be 60 years ago....
  13. Thread: Fusion 360 Users?

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

Re: Fusion 360 Users?

I think I posted something about modeling F-5 so search old posts.
    I work in Rhino and IIRC the workflow was to model tha main arch, then I created the outlines of the plate rising smoothly towards...
  14. Re: Best power carving tool for arching and graduating tops and b

I see many folks especially in US start their plates from rather thick (sometimes almost 1") flat lumber which necessarily requires LOTS of extra material removal. If you start with wedges and reduce...
  15. Re: Best power carving tool for arching and graduating tops and b

One should be aware that use of the powertools is also not very good for hands. The vibrations of the tools are bad for muscles and joints even though it is not as physically hard work.
    Many...
  16. Re: Thoughts On Hairline Back Seam Cracks In The Tail Block Recur

Cracks like these are generally caused by extremely low humidity and plate shrinking. They appear to be open on top (finish cracks) because the block underneath is cross grain and holds the bottom...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Handel violin tail piece?

Tailpieces like this were common on German factory violins produced in hundreds of thousands a year in Markneukirchen/ Schoenbach region and perhaps other parts of Germany and Europe too.
    Late 19th...
  18. Thread: Template material

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

Re: Template material

If it chips you likely need more tpi. Possibly fine metal cutting blade and finishing with files or spindle sander.
    CNC is my go-to way for doing templates - once you do the drawing you can...
  19. Thread: Scratch remover

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

Re: Scratch remover

I wouldn't use waxy/oily products anywhere near older instruments. If you get some of it into a crack or loose seam you greatly reduced chance of solid repair. Often you don't see open seams or...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Uncle Don Brown's Loar

That one has much smoother curve and the end of the board appears to be slightly blunt on the DB Loar. Almost looks like modern F-5L in some views.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Slotting fingerboards

If you're doing it for your own use you don't have to be as efficient. You can simply do something else while the CNC slowly cuts the slots and you can have the luxury of dead ends. But making it for...
  22. Thread: Modern sound??

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

Re: Modern sound??

Modern or traditional sound built into mandolin is red herring IMHO.
    If you take Monroe's mandolin and put it into hands of "modern player" the mandolin will sound like the modern player not like...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: What’s in a Scroll?

From builders perspective I should say there IS difference in sound between the body styles. There's significant extra mass in the F style and also some extra air volume so that's GOTTA have some...
  24. Thread: Pickguard issue

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pickguard issue

Violin folks often apply clear tape to some areas to protect from perspiration and wear. They apply it over delicate finishes as well.
    Here is good tutorial that shows application and removal. Yours...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone Spraying Shellac?

Thanks Dave, I've found many contradicting theories online (including the one with the totes) some of them obviously ridiculous even to me so I initially went with my own theory. I will try to difest...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4