Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Looking for information about the history of mandolin orchest

The CMSA suggestion is solid, and I don't know anyone who has a more encyclopedic knowledge of the field than CMSA's Robert Margo.
    Another good source with a different perspective on traditional...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

A work of art based on a work of art--beautiful. Curious about the tuning, with 10 strings (I assume 5 course doubled).
    jim
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Masataka HORI - Mandolin Channel

YES!
    Masataka Hori was our mandocello section leader at CMSA Kansas City and presented an intensive MC workshop. Communicating with us through a translator, he was inspiring, amusing, and most...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

I need to share this with our local Oregon group; we played a piece I wrote in 7/8 ("Agitation") and some of the players thought I was crazy. Sounds nice and smooth here; American music is so fixed...
  5. Re: A customer playing a baroque mandolin I built

The sound has a wonderful ring; curious what kind of strings produce that (along with the fine instrument and player of course). Picture looks like nylon, surprised at the power.
    jim
  6. Replies
    Views

The oud has a huge sound, possibly the acoustics of the place helped but still an impressive instrument. The relatively contemplative nature of the music (no drums or driving dance rhythms, no...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Telemann Wedding Divertissement

Very nice baroque style and a beautiful singing tone on that mandolin. I have a set of Telemann duets which I play (mandocello) with a friend, I will look into these wedding pieces, I think they...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Question About Carry-On Instruments

Then my mandocello would have landed in the yard of a Portland science teacher, along with the door. Maybe it would have been in better shape.
    By the way, my mandocello would not fit neatly under...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Balcarres lute manuscript

Nice delicate touch and flowing lines, beautifully played. I struggle getting that light legato with the relatively hard pick against doubled metal strings across fret wires, especially on my beefy...
  10. Re: Opinions on the Thomann (or other cheap) mandocellos?

I used a Thomann as my "travel' mandocello because I would not take my 1912 K4 on an airplane. The people at the CMSA conventions, many of whom have very fine instruments, were impressed with the...
  11. Luke William Wright on Mandocello Monday

I posted this in the Mandolin Mondays thread, but it really belongs here.
    Check out Luke Williams Wright and his wonderful compositions for the mandocello.

Luke is one of the players and...
  12. Replies
    Views

I am curious where you find these widely and wildly varied tunes--Turkish, Iriquois, Celtic, Burkina Faso... do people bring them to you, do they come from your Jo's World radio program, do you spend...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Robin Williamson mandolin

My future-wife-to-be and I were riding in the car and something about "being happy" came up. She suddenly started singing (she does that) "Happy happy happy all the time, time, time..." I chimed in...
  14. Re: Any others here that started their mandolin/instrument later

I stated playing mandocello at 70. I am a retired music professor but was never a string player--I taught choir, theory, research and such. I played a little two-finger bluegrass for fun until I...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Continuous tremolo technique

Two thoughts, but well outside my areas of expertise (as if I had any): the "all fingers tremolo" looks similar to flamenco guitar technique, but I know there are people on this site that would know...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Balcarres lute manuscript

Not sure what I said, Richard, but the results of my study and the greater body of Categorization research support a very loose, fuzzy-boundried, context-driven nature for categories. The jammers who...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Elegant and beautiful like all your work. I love the contrasting woods and slightly offset lines below the oval.
    I keep starting to play on your liuto/cittern but have to spend most of my...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Evan J. Marshall : special videos

I miss the days when Evan would play and tour with the Oregon Mandolin Orchestra. The only thing that kept us from being completely awed by his playing was his disarming sense of humor ( I couldn't...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Clefs are like subnets

I have no idea what subnets are or even what line of science or math they come from, but I do know clefs. I realize not everyone can devote their lives and careers to the study of music. But on...
  20. Replies
    Views

Mandocellos at CMSA Kansas City

The CMSA Convention at Kansas City will have a pre-convention mandocello workshop and an open mic mandocello ensemble. The workshop will be with section leader Masataka Hori--check out his website:...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello solo and duo recordings playlist

I always appreciate your posts, and your interesting scholarship and source notes. I did not know Bach had added to the innumerable settings of this ground.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Torna a Surriento by Ernesto De Curtis

Toomas, it seems you are putting out a video a day, I can't keep up. I especially like the portamento/sliding double stops in this one, difficult and very Italianesque.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Help with meaning of notation…

Usually Roman Numerals can mean which chord, as in a I IV V progression, or left hand position, as in II would mean first finger third fret (right?). But in this, with the tab it really looks like...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave mandolin and mandocello

Disagree on a couple points; yes that's Mike playing MC with Catherina, but not sure who the MC player is in the MMQ; Marshall is on mandolin. Recently, MMQ has had Radim Zenkl and Adam Roscowicz on...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: The Frog Galliard (Dowland)

Maybe there will be a 21st Century Dowland Renaissance; Sting recorded his songs, and internet music theorist/guitar critic Rick Beato raves about his music. Musicologists argue over the specifics...
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4