Search:

Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Speed Neck on Carbon Fiber Mandolin

I really don’t get all this “speed neck” thing but a quick rub down with fine wire wool has traditionally been the solution to a snooker cue sticking to your bridge hand.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Funky old canvas case/gigbag ?

Could it be an early case cover? I picked up an antique leather suitcase 30 odd years ago which came with a cover in material and with poppers just like that.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: UK made Calton anybody?

For the record, it sold for £280 + commission (+ at least 30%) - far more than I paid, new, for the last Calton mandolin case I bought even without the commission.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap for bowl back

Isn’t using a strap with a bowl-back equivalent to using a cape on a flat-back?
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Adding D rings to case

Would I joke about such things?! He only lived about two miles from the pub and it was down hill all the way back. I won’t say who it was but the luthier had quite a time putting the thing back...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Wurlitzer Mandolins? Mystery Maker

Identical links!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Good picks for beginner

As you should have realised by now, ask 20 people and you’ll probably get at least 20 answers. The only answer you really need is - whatever suits your playing and you feel happy using. So, my...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Linda Lou my Gibson

Yes, mine - details previously given.

N.B. Please ignore my last post - those are worm under - what was I thinking !!!!
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Swarb on Mandolin

No; that’s not the Ibanez. It was an “F” style - circa. 1976 (the so-called “law suit” era), one of their Artist series. I only remember this ‘cos I had (still have) an almost identical one!
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Swarb on Mandolin

In the brief period I was involved with Fairport, Swarb stuck to fiddle and Dave Pegg doubled on bass and mandolin - a 70’s Ibanez I recall.
  11. Re: Does Pick Size and Instrument Size have any Correlation?

For what it’s worth, I’ve always used different sized picks on different sized instruments.
  12. Thread: new trend?

by Ray(T)
    Replies
    Views

Re: new trend?

Possibly, googling a problem brings them to the cafe and they simply ignore the dates?
  13. Thread: Odd mandolin

by Ray(T)
    Replies
    Views

Re: Odd mandolin

O.K, you’re all wrong. It’s an Army/Navy with an arm-rest and a very early prototype externally mounted Virzi ;)
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

It’s basically very easy Max. For your benefit atnd that of our American cousins -

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when...
  15. Replies
    Views

Forgot about the Wailing ones - at least they’re made in the UK so they should be easy to get hold of without the customs hassle although I’ve never actually heard or played one. You might find that...
  16. Replies
    Views

I no longer take my GBOM to sessions as it’s simply not loud enough; I usually stick to mandolin and guitar. My RM-1 is plenty loud enough and actually sounds better when played with other...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Caliper precision vs. what's on the box

Maybe I’m being over simplistic but if you put a set of strings on an instrument they will stretch slightly and, as a result, their diameter can be expected to reduce - which is exactly what the o/p...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Need info on a Barcus-Berry pickup

I stand corrected, I think you’re right. There’s a picture of one on the e-mando site here - https://www.emando.com/pickups/Barcus_Berry_magnetic.htm

I don’t ever recall seeing one; perhaps they...
  19. Re: Help identifyiing this mandolin/what is it worth?

As others have said, both the mandolin and the case are typical of the production that was coming out of Japan during the 1970s. I got along fine with one of those for several decades - they were as...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin project

At least it looks to have a solid top - look at the edges of the soundhole in the first additional photo.

Believe it or not, there are some people who actually like that type of tailpiece!...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Identifying unmarked mandolin

Difficult to tell from the photos but is the top/back arched or flat? For now, I’d go along with the theory that it was hobby build. Probably by somebody who has built a couple of guitars. Why? -...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Back shirkage on Gibson snakehead

I suppose the first question is whether it’s “shrinkage” (shirkage!) or as a result of the back having been off. My ‘23/4 has a similar issue but it’s never been a problem. I suspect that the back on...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick guard removal?

Logic would suggest that taking it off would reduce the value of the instrument on the basis that they’re hard enough to remove so they’ll be a pig to put back. Consequently, if someone wants a...
  24. Re: Advice sought: pricing/selling two good instruments in the UK

Set your bottom line and stick to it!
  25. Re: Advice sought: pricing/selling two good instruments in the UK

I should start by saying that I speak as someone who has never been in the fortunate position of having had to sell an instrument. That said, I believe that the best place to sell would be via the...
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4