Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: A 10 string variable scale story

Interestingly I didn't notice anything with this one: my long scale cittern though, I did have to do some head scratching on the bridge compensation as potentially each string in the course needs...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: A 10 string variable scale story

OK Part 3.... closing out the box...

Back is 2.5mm rosewood and a lot less flexible than the top, so while it also has an induced arch in the same manner as the top, it's a lot less noticeable. ...
  3. Replies
    Views

Michael Heiden build video

A short video about Michael...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZEGIqETatM
  4. Replies
    Views

A 10 string variable scale story

OK folks here we go, this is a slightly unusual thread - it's not a "build thread" because the instrument is already built and off in it's new home, nor is it a "look what I made" thread, because I...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: New Blackwood and WRC 2-point mandolin

Davy,

Nice tailpiece. Looks good and easy to use. Don’t know why more luthiers don’t choose to use that type. Must be the Gibson influence.

Regards,
  6. Replies
    Views

Davy, that’s a great looking mandolin. The Blackwood is really good looking wood. How is it for carving?
  7. Replies
    Views

Looks great! I like that tailpiece.
  8. Replies
    Views

That looks awesome!
  9. Replies
    Views

No, you posted in the right thread. Looks great!
  10. Thread: Flexibility

by j. condino
    Replies
    Views

Re: Flexibility

For folks feeling left out of our thread derail, here is a link to a detailed discussion and description of my plate tuning jig:
  11. Replies
    Views

A couple of new mandolins

Off to the US next month for the Guild of American Luthiers convention in Tacoma WA. I will have a couple of new mandolins with me. The latest of the King Billy and Huon Pine oval hole mandolins, and...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Fan fret tenor guitars (2022 thread)

I make fan fretted tenor banjos, so I got a custom built fan fretted tenor guitar in carbon fibre. The scale lengths are 23” (E) to 24” (G). The ergonomics are such that it has a comparable stretch...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: New 2-point Octave Mandolin in Tawhai

Nice work! I haven’t ever been south of the equator myself & it never occurred to me the perspective of the moon would be that different. I couldn’t ever see a face in the moon as a kid but, laying...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: less heavy tuners

We can immobilize the mandolin, use a strap that sticks to our shirt, or otherwise keep the neck from dropping, but that doesn't adjust the balance of the instrument. It only overcomes the tendency...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Steam bending ribs without a chamber...

I don't know about violins, but it has certainly been well covered in the guitar world. Adding mass to the sides lowers the frequency of the main top mode and that can be used to advantage (or...
  16. Replies
    Views

wenge and spruce Celtic mandolin

A recent video featuring a Small Celtic F mandolin.

http://youtu.be/zGv6c81QHfU

Nigel
    www.nkforsterguitars.com
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: I'm curious about a hide gluing method

"Dry gluing" is common among violin makers as it will prevent staining wood with glue (any residual glue can cause ghosts under varnish). They don't seem to use steam but rather hot water applied...
  18. Replies
    Views

Another variation: apply glue to both surfaces, then liberally apply reasonably dilute HHG to both to re-activate and clamp up.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: New 2-point Octave Mandolin in Tawhai

Nice work Davy. That is a beautiful octave.
  20. Replies
    Views

Steam can get "anywhere" when it comes to wood.
    I have not tried the technique, but it has been done successfully.
    A similar method (and to me, one that makes more sense) is to glue, dry and clamp...
  21. Replies
    Views

A Special Guest at the Blue Note

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCI6KEnh-M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiijRNeFFxs
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: What is the story behind the "scroll"

I believe the precursor of the scroll on mandolins at least in the US appeared on German concert zithers. No doubt Orville wanted a certain look to his instruments. After his departure post-three...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: What is the story behind the "scroll"

Orville was heavily influenced by Victorian times, though he was working somewhat later. Ornamentation was the order of the day, and his personal aesthetic led him to heavily ornament things; thus...
  24. Replies
    Views

Very interesting discussion.

More than just the thick / thin rib concept, I believe the bigger issue is how you use that one aspect to couple the entire build together to make a very responsive...
  25. Replies
    Views

Yes, the rapid cooling is problem with thin stock at lower temps (slightly below boiling point) but if you apply the stock to heated iron for bending it will work and my tests samples suggest that it...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3