Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Martin D18 Bridge Problem

Shimming the saddle is the wrong way to go; it just puts more pressure on the top edge. The crack very likely extends under the saddle slot- the first thing to do is close it as best you can and...
  2. Re: Archtop mando bridge is as low as it can go - options?

If that's the original Kentucky bridge, be aware that they may not be the highest quality wood. Taking material from the base is safer than taking it off the saddle. Removing 1/16" will allow you to...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Buzz on open D string on jbovier ELS

That's my preferred repair as well. The quick-n-dirty fix is superglue and baking soda to fill the slot, but that's temporary and as a pro, I wouldn't do it.
    The inlaid material doesn't have to be...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Fret sprout question

Jay, regarding your original question, my experience is the board won't swell back enough to make any difference. File away...

Greg Mirken
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Harmony Monterey H410 Rescue

I got an identical mandolin, Harmony Monterey, for my 13th birthday- 1962.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Lifting bridge on a cheap acoustic guitar

There’s a (good) chance the bridge is already bolted on. Are there “pearl” plastic dots on the bridge? Feel inside for hardware. If it’s bolted on just play away.
  7. Re: How to repair a gap between back plate and binding on 1914 A3

Indeed, it is a very useful fixture. Not only on mandolins, I might add. He simply means this type of damage happens too often, and often heat and humidity are factors.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Removing Lignin

The most important thing about the stiffness of wood is that it is stiff in the direction of the grain, but flexes much more easily across the grain. This makes a soundboard that resists deforming...
  9. Re: Is The Note On The 5th Fret Of Your Mando’s “A” String a “D”?

If fretted notes are most sharp at the low frets but get closer in-tune as you move up to the 12th fret, the culprit is the height at the nut. As you push the strings down to contact the fret you are...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Unique Ball End to Loop End conversion

I think mdowlin is right. From the thread wrap those look like they may be Thomastiks, which would also have a wrap over the other end of the wound strings. That might have stuck over the nut without...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: fret marker positions

Five string banjos from the 19th Century typically have markers at 5, 7, 9, and 12. Tenor banjos, which surged in popularity in the 1920s, 30s, and 40s, have them at 5, 7, 10, and 12 [Tenors are also...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Question about CA glue

The current KM500 claims to be nitrocellulose; older ones might have a synthetic catalyzed finish. The only way to tell for sure is to test an area with acetone. I pull off one side of tuners and...
  13. Re: Looking to have some pearl inlay work done.

I can recommend Harvey Leach [harv@leachguitars.com] here in Northern California.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Guess the finish

First, I'd be surprised if the back wasn't made from staves, rather than a hollowed out chunk of wood. But without any photo that's just conjecture.
    To determine the finish, test an area [perhaps...
  15. Re: what glue to use on 70yo mando w/ previous repairs?

Or perhaps older. We still haven't seen a photo... and no information about the previous repairs. So this is speculation of practically no value.
  16. Re: Anyone know what the old flatirons were finished with?

CA might be the best thing for you to use anyway, but the typical way to test the finish is to remove a tuner and dab an acetone-dampened swab in the footprint. A cross-linked finish won't be...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Cutting Shellac for sealing

I think you are referring to a post of mine. I can't buy 190 proof Everclear in California. If you can get that, it's fine. I bought pure ethanol from Quality Chemical [Amazon] which is denatured...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Half a mandolin question

Right. These usually have a pretty minimal break angle to begin with; if you lower it further the bridge just scoots around on the head when you play hard and it goes crazy out of tune.
  19. Replies
    Views

Well, you've got that short scale length to deal with, you know. Anything lower than mando tuning is likely to sound un-musical. Heavy strings tuned down are just going to flap in the breeze.
    But...
  20. Replies
    Views

I'm very familiar with the banjo neck attachment you describe. It's not the best, but it works. Taking material off the heel won't get you anywhere; you'll just end up with a gap. Does the end of the...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: F hole crack repair

Paul Hostetter once gave me a super idea for crack-stoppers. A Tyvek mailing envelope cut into small circles works great; it’s about impossible to tear so the crack can’t lengthen. I was skeptical...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Vega Bowl Back

If you are converting a bar-fret instrument to T frets and making other modifications you should not consider this job a restoration. I'm not being judgemental, but a restoration means returning the...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowl Back Mandolin needing some TLC

Thin cyanoacrylate glue wicked into those fissures will at least slow down the crumbling celluloid. Nothing will stop it, though.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridge saddle repair - which glue to use?

Nice work. If anyone notices and asks about it, b.s. them with something like "Yeah, the second harmonic on the A was a bit harsh, so I did that to tame it a bit."
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Do I need a brace under the bridge?

A slight convex arch to your brace might be a real good idea, in fact. The string tension will flatten the top out.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3