Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Help..problem with strap and looking for ideas.

Hi Wayne:

Almost the same exact thing happened to me, so I know how you feel. There are many solutions out there but the cheapest and secure system that I found was the D'addario strap lock.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: B Natural by the Lilly brothers

The only “B Natural” song I know of is by Grisman and Ronnie McCoury on the Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza cd.
  3. Thread: 3/4

by A-board
    Replies
    Views

Re: 3/4

Rainbow Connection
    Also Star of the County Down is often played in 3/4. Beautiful tune. Howard Levy did a lyrical harmonica version on one of the Flectone albums, Cosmic Hippo I think.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: My pinky won't go where I tell it!

You may find some help here:

https://youtu.be/2wyXPyRPE-U
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: My pinky won't go where I tell it!

I have similar problems. Besides not being very co-ordinated in my pinky, I nearly lost complete use of it when I broke my wrist a few years ago, then had to relearn how to use it. However, here are...
  6. Replies
    Views

Bluegrass Stomp

I have to work on not being so nervous.

https://youtu.be/Rk8AHyeMDeo
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Missing the bluegrass sound

I generally agree with Brad. BUT... beginners (I remember) may not be AWARE of certain concepts and therefore have a hard time thinking much about them.

Case in point: Eric, if you can play the...
  8. Replies
    Views

Might want to attend this next year........

https://monroemandolincamp.com/
  9. Replies
    Views

Find a few people to make some music with, it is an accepting group of people! Don’t hide, maybe hang back until you find your feet. Bluegrass music is the most “Group-funded” genre I’ve ever seen....
  10. Replies
    Views

Eric, I am not trying to be a wiseguy here. I am just curious to get more information.

In that spirit of discovery I would ask:

1. How many Bill Monroe albums have you listened to? You should...
  11. Replies
    Views

Be patient , take some lessons, best in a direct teacher student exchange but sites will work, and do a bunch of listening to your favorite mandolinists . A computer program or device that slows...
  12. Replies
    Views

Mandolessons.com is great for learning fiddle tunes, but not specifically bluegrass. Banjobenclark.com is great, I'm a member there, his lessons are great and easy to follow, it's not free though.
  13. Replies
    Views

You'll sound a lot better when you're playing with a couple other people, especially a guitar and bass.
  14. Replies
    Views

Mandolessons.com, Peghead Nation, Banjo Ben Clark, that’s just a few. I would focus on some fiddle tunes first. Maybe Angeline the Baker or Old Joe Clark.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Wish You Were Here - with mandolin!

I love Floyd on the Mandolin!
    Here is a short lesson of the tunes for all the Floyd lovers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QDUC1-DM4ghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QDUC1-DM4g
  16. Re: When I Get My Reward, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

This is a great song to learn how to "noodle" which is what the mando is doing during this song. This style of playing comes in handy when a steady rhythm pattern would overpower the arrangement....
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Going to my frist BG jam

Take it and play it. Have fun. If you are concerned about stepping out find a spot and just play along quietly. Nothing will speed you music along like playing with others and having fun doing it....
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: I need some serious help...

Well …. I can't say about Five Pounds of Possum as I don't know that song . The others on your list are indeed all in 4/4 time and the chop on the chuck as Big Sky Girl points out will work on all of...
  19. Replies
    Views

Wish You Were Here - with mandolin!

I hope y'all enjoy this Pink Floyd cover we did!

6fB6GPOA324
  20. Thread: Strings?

by pheffernan
    Replies
    Views

Re: Strings?

CES gives very good advice earlier in this thread. For bluegrass on an arch top with f-holes, most people will recommend medium strings. You might prefer the reduced tension of lights as a newbie,...
  21. Thread: Strings?

by UsuallyPickin
    Replies
    Views

Yes , do enjoy some different string choices . There is a perfect set "out there" for your style and instrument. D' Addario is a good place to start looking. As pointed out above string gauge and...
  22. Thread: Strings?

by CES
    Replies
    Views

D’Addairio EJ 74 or 75, or GHS 270 are good places to start. Bright and punchy, with a good bass response for chopping. Monel works well for BG as well, but is maybe a tad less bright. Flatwounds...
  23. Thread: Strings?

by John Bertotti
    Replies
    Views

Strings And Picks, the point, and the material makes a big difference as well the thickness and flexibility. I like thicker picks stiffer picks and use a looser grip but even grip can change the...
  24. Thread: Strings?

by pops1
    Replies
    Views

Each mandolin in different and strings effect them differently. I would simply try different strings each time you change to see what you and your mandolin like.
  25. Re: 3 months into mandolin quest and the light bulb go on

Nice discovery. There are a few other chord shapes though:)
Page 1 of 2 1 2