Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar Bodied Mandola

Absolutely! I put the other C string on yesterday, and it's a noticeably louder and fuller sound! Really really happy with it!

I've got a buddy at work who won Winfield many years ago, and I plan...
  2. Replies
    Views

Guitar Bodied Mandola

Folks, I'm pretty excited.

Over the last decade or so I've built about a half dozen instruments. But all electric guitars and basses and whatnot. They were really cool, and fun projects, but the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Dug my 'guitar bodied' mandola project out of storage over the holidays and finally got back to work on it. Got the box closed yesterday.

4. Replies
    Views

Re: Visiting Nashville

Husk is a great restaurant for southern food in downtown Nashville.
  5. Replies
    Views

Amazing Grace for Mother's Day

My wife loves Amazing Grace, it's a song she's sung to our daughters when putting them to bed ever since the first was born. So, I thought she'd really enjoy hearing our girls singing it for her. The...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: A list for first time builders

Understand that mistakes are an inevitability. The art of luthiery is learning how to deal with those mistakes. Take your time and enjoy the learning process.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: No Power Tool Mandolin

Using chisels and a hammer to thickness wood is an enormous waste of time. Five bucks worth of tools at harbor freight would save you hours of time and loads of frustration. Honestly, you should know...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Dolatar or Gitdola

Here's the 'gitdola' that I'm working on. The scale is 17", body depth is 1.75". Curious to see how it sounds once it's all said and done. I'm actually a little further along than this picture, in...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Making good progress on my guitar bodied mandola...

10. Replies
    Views

Re: Sierra Hull Concert

The two of them playing Cattle in the Cane together, double mandolins, is one of my favorite concert moments ever.
  11. Re: Question for those who've buffed out a satin finish.....

Nearly everyone has to compromise due to finances to one degree or another. Most of us don't own a Gilchrist or a Monteleone, or a <Insert expensive mandolin that you lust after here>. It is what it...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: The hobby finisher's spray booth

Yeah... I think I'll just keep hand rubbing my finishes. :))
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: get those minor chords early

I built this 17" scale electric guitar for my girls to mess around on. They've also got a few cheapo on instruments, ukulele, drums, etc. But so far this is their only custom build. :)

14. Replies
    Views

Re: Fingerrest Attachment

Yeah, it wasn't so much an issue of not knowing how it's normally done. In an academic sense I know that pins are used. But I've never actually done it. This is a new type of instrument build for me,...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Fingerrest Attachment

Ivan, that looks like a good solution.

There's no question this way will be more permanent, and I think if I was building for someone else I wouldn't consider it, but this is for me.

Here it is...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Show your cboms!

Another one of Mike Black's recently completed octave mandolins, #42:

17. Replies
    Views

Re: Smooth as Butter

It's not always a featured part of their music, but I think Andrew Marlin of Mandolin Orange has a very smooth and melodic style.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Used Mando smells like men's cologne

I did something similar. Filled tea bags with baking soda and stuck them through the F holes and hung them inside the mandolin. It worked pretty well. Took some time, but most definitely helped quite...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

A video from church yesterday of my wife on vocals, me on mandolin, and our neighbor on guitar and backup vocals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok8Vu0UwqOM
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Went to hear Matt Flinner at Club Passim

I saw them a few months ago when they were down south. Really good show. It inspired me to take Matt's fiddle tune harmony class.

They're playing in NYC with Alex Hargreaves (Sarah Jarosz, The...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Went to see Sarah Jarosz

I'm guessing that Louise is referring to how she plays the main lick in House of Mercy, or similar, on the octave. Which I think is quite intentional, she must be going for that specific sound, as...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Nice Little Wing Cover on Mandolin

I've been following Josh (on facebook and youtube) for a number of years now. He's been posting youtube videos since he was in high school. He's now out of college and working as a professional...
  23. Re: Anybody played a Mike Black Octave Mandolin?

I'm having one built right now, #42. I've posted some in process pictures in the social group.

Here are a couple of threads that have sound clips in them:

Black #6

Black #3

Mike also has...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Preferred Polish

You don't need to use any sort of special industry proprietary paper towel to buff. I've used standard blue shop towels on several instruments I've made, to great effect. And from what I know their...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: How do Webers compare to Northfields?

She still has it, and she had it with her on her most recent tour. Justin Moses played the Weber when he and Sierra did mandolin duets.
Page 1 of 2 1 2