Search:

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: My latest build: A Mandocello/Liuto Cantabile/Cittern hybrid

Lovely instrument, I keep think about one of these, what scale length and string gauges did you use?
  2. Re: I published a book of my original compositions for oud

Thanks, what do the little flags by the key signature mean?
  3. Re: Irish or Italian? Does pick direction matter?

Cool tune thanks :)

I don't know right from wrong, but for what it's worth I would slide the g - g# and alternate pick the run down.
  4. Replies
    Views

Mandolino & Theorbo Duet.

https://youtu.be/CZme5SwFJyI

This is rather lovely, there are two other videos in the series.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Frankdolins' Banjo-Mandolin

Nice, I have a Windsor Pyxe that I was given a few years ago, it gets quite a lot of use as it means I don't have to lug an amp about. It will be 'delighting' the audience at a local craft market on...
  6. Thread: Mandolin Banjo?

by derbex
    Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Banjo?

I have got both :grin:

I have a vintage Windsor Pyxe that I was given. When we could still do them I started taking it along to folk band practice and it worked really well, I don't need an amp...
  7. Replies
    Views

Monday Musicians, Welsh Waltzes

We made another video, still mostly non mandolin, I have defected to tenor banjo, but there is a rather nice Flatiron on here.

https://youtu.be/ibEfogkDUdA
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Mongrel Technique

I learnt using the Ranieri books, after an ad hoc grounding in folk, and would tend to play that era of music in his style and anything else with much less tremolo -although one lady did accuse me of...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice please! Pietro Tonelli Mandolin

Yes, I have always liked the styling of those and the back and sides look to be of lovely pieces of wood. The workshop is worth a visit, I had my banjo fettled there, very evocative.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice please! Pietro Tonelli Mandolin

As you are in London then John Alvey Turner in Camden has a couple in your price range : https://johnalveyturner.co.uk/mandolins/

You could also try Hobglin in Rathbone place, I think they are...
  11. Re: New and recent Tenor, best than vintage Martin's and Gibson ?

Well, that's what I keep telling myself, but maybe I'm just decrepit.
  12. Replies
    Views

Monday Musicians LockdownVideo - English Jigs

Limited Mandolin content.

https://youtu.be/5WHgdU9U67g

By coincidence, I only got the video yesterday.

Monday Musicians has been running since the 1930s, we usually meet at 7pm on the...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Where to find a Roman/Ranieri Plectrum?

FWIW I have had a couple of the Clifford Essex Roman plectra and found them a bit uncomfortable, they are about 4.5 cm long rather than the 6.6 suggested on...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: A Year With Calace?

I have been working on lesson 1 for a week, and it's proving a worthwhile effort.

If we want something to discuss, how are people handling using the same finger on adjacent strings? If it's the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Classical Mandola

I play classical mandola tuned GDAE, and the old mandolin orchestra music I have is written that way, not in alto clef which I think is more common in the US. My bowlback mandola is 42.5 cm scale...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Fine music broadcast from Glasgow, Scotland

Laura Beth was the mandolin tutor at Folkworks in Durham a couple of years ago, she taught us some great tunes, Kitchen Girl was one.

I doubt it will happen this year, sadly.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Vinaccia vs Embergher vsCalace Video

Tricky, when I played them in order I liked the one I was listening to, then I started flicking between them and the Vinaccia & Calace sounded quite similar. I might have a slight preference for the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Social Distancing

Being English social distancing comes inbuilt.
  19. Thread: Musician quotes

by derbex
    Replies
    Views

Re: Musician quotes

'The more I practice, the more natural talent people tell me I have' -Harmonica professional Steve Lockwood.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Alternate Reality Fender Tenor Tele

You could be in luck Kevin, just seen an eBay UK ad from a Bournmouth shop quoting delivery in 3 days https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274265082962?ul_noapp=true
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Baroque mandolin

Good looking and sounding instrument. I like the tune too.
  22. Re: Sound: opinions sought on technique vs instrument, i.e. anti-

One opinion is to buy an instrument better than you are and that removes one of the variables from the equation, it's definitely you that needs to improve.
  23. Re: Borodin: Polovetsian Dance (Stranger In Paradise)

Nice one Martin, I do like the voice of your Vinaccia. Now if you just provide a source for Dancing Maidens, I'll be set.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Calace method exercise 52

Hmmm, I think I would find it hard not to start on a down stoke, and since I am going into tremolo and thus picking a lot quicker I think it would be ok. As to what a modern players in the Italian...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Remembering Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni

That's a shame, I have brought Evelyn's arrangements into various groups I play with and they are always well received. We'll be playing a couple in Christmas shows, I am sure the audiences will...
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4