Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Fixing HORRIBLY Applied Varnish

It's possible that the new finish was applied over the original finish & that they reacted badly with one another. Many years ago,a friend of mine bought a Ford 'Thunderbird' over here.The finish was...
  2. Replies
    Views

I would guess maple, but perhaps some of the wood experts can chime in.

As for the tuners: unless they don't work properly I would keep what is on it. As others have noted on this and the other...
  3. Replies
    Views

You know, although it’s badly applied, it might look a lot better if it was level sanded, thinned, and rubbed out. That might be preferable to stripping. It would be good if you could determine...
  4. Replies
    Views

Due to the texture in the second picture, it almost looks like the finish reacted to contact with something over a period of time (maybe a case lining, music stand, couch cushion, etc.). That could...
  5. Replies
    Views

I'd look on line for a suitable wood scraper & use that to remove the bulk of the varnish. I think that 'maybe',unless the varnish is really hard,that it would clog any form of abrasive paper....
  6. Replies
    Views

As the others have said, if the finish is trashed anyway, there's no loss in refinishing.

I would start with a lot coarser grit than 240 - otherwise you're going to be a very long time if that's...
  7. Replies
    Views

I'm pretty sure that one was stripped down already before they put that finish on it. I'm also not sure that's varnish. Being historically accurate isn't that big of a deal here honestly. From your...
  8. Replies
    Views

Most American fretted instruments from that time period were finished with nitrocellulose lacquer, though I suppose that other things might also have been used. Remember that the modern poly...