Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin neck joint

Thanks for the quick replies. I hadn't considered neck angle or repairs.

I won't be trying to reinvent the wheel on my first build. Just like to understand why I'm doing something

Mike
  2. Big bro and little bro (Owsley Smith and Beardsell)

Together at last (after some work on the little 'bro). '03 "Hawk" 3-course 'zouk by Stephen Owsley Smith and an early (circa '99) oval hole mandolin with 4 side ports by Allan Beardsell. Holidays...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in progress

Here's my number 17 in the white... in the red? It was pretty muddy, as I had made the body significantly deeper on this one. Adding a side sound port balanced it out. Still has some final sanding...
  4. Replies
    Views

Now that Sid has his mandolin in hand, here are a few shots from the last few moments before she headed his way -

95576 95577 95578 95579 95580

Englemann spruce top, curly maple back and...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: A question about, well, music?

There's two different things we're talking about here. One is timing/rhythm and the other is song structure. Example - there's a great old guy in our jams who just has no sense of rhythm. He...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: A question about, well, music?

Allen's explanation is extremely good. One of the problems with music theory – as it's taught, at least – is that people can get really hung up on trying to make actual music fit to theoretical...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: scottish tunes question

For Maggie Cameron, this may work
    http://www.folktunefinder.com/tune/17600/

Otherwise search for the tune name at folktunefinder.com, and look for the first version that shows pipe ornamentation....
  8. Replies
    Views

Bridge Design - No Thumbscrews

Ok, so the mandolin bridge has been redesigned so many times. Here's my take.

I appreciated Dr. Dave Cohen's idea of using a hex wrench for adjustability..Thumbwheels really need to have some of...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Oval Hole Mando Too Bass Heavy

A Red Henry-style Maple bridge should pop out the treble.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: German Concert Mandolin- design ideas etc.

Thanks a lot Robert- that is very helpful information!

And thanks clicker for the opinion- it is helping guide my process- I realize I wasn't very clear about what I'm after.

The concert...
  11. Replies
    Views

Installing traditional trussrod

I went through several types of trussrods until I finally decided what Gibson did first was what's best. It's another discussion as to whether that's true or not but this is about how I go about...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Is red spruce the best wood for the top?

From between 1 and 2 minute marks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKJjpE2infY
  13. Re: Peghead Ivoroid binding (Siminoff) using Weldon-16

Well I thought hat I would drop a quick photo. It's not done yet. Needs more sanding and scraping of the binding and a bit of touch up on the binding joint but I'm fairly happy with my first attempt...
  14. Replies
    Views

Scale Patterns - Master Guide

I got my first mando last week and haven't been able to put it down. I've played guitar for years and have always wanted to try my hand at mando so I've been really excited to finally get the chance...
  15. Re: This thread is in re: to the Newell model sale on E-Bay.

Interesting thread. I was the winning bidder. I wasn't looking for a mandolin to buy. Just browsing mandolins on auction. The seller referenced a Cafe thread in his ad. I made the $150 bid assuming...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: fret info

I use Jescar's (and everyone else's) own catalog numbers, which are also linked on that page directly. For some reason Luthier's Mercantile renames it. They don't make that many different EVO wires....
  17. Thread: fret info

by Dale Ludewig
    Replies
    Views

Re: fret info

Here's what I'm using whenever I can for nontraditional wire- the EVO gold LMI sells. Plays like a dream, not much harder to install and dress than normal nickel/silver, but is very wear resistant. ...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Basement Dampening/Soundproofing

Anything soft will soak up sound...... blankets hung about 3" away from the walls would be an inexpensive solution.....
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: straightening a '30s/'40s pickguard

I'm in the small block of felt camp. I have straightened pickguards using two piece of heavy flat glass with some extra weight (like big books) on it. I sandwiched the pickguard between the glass,...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Fungus-Treated Wood

Pure hokum, IMO. There are a hundred violin makers today making violins every bit as good as those the old Cremona makers produced. The only secret to Stradvari's violins is that he used good wood...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Sound Hole Placement

Blackheathen,

You are working in Adobe Illustrator, no? Why not let the computer calculate the area of the sound ports for you?

Using the free PathArea filter is probably your best bet. Not...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Sound Hole Placement

"My thoughts are that the area of the porting should be proportional to tha actual air volume of the body. -"

Not linearly. I've already pointed out that there is a simple formula for the...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin setup by Rob Meldrum

Hi gang, thanks for the kudos. For any who have asked recently, I am traveling right now and gmail on the iPad doesn't let me send my "canned response" with the ebook link. I will reply to you by...
  24. Replies
    Views

Transverse-braced prototype top, and a pile of backs and tops for 5 more. Birdseye "rock" maple, ribbon mahogany, and bubinga.
    This is the first true oval hole I have done.... the graduations are so...
  25. Re: So, that other thread leads to a question about strobing.

Btw, referring to the original post in this thread, tuning a free plate to a particular frequency has little or no effect on what the plate does in the assembled instrument, except by accident or...
Page 1 of 2 1 2